former theist turned atheist....

BANDERSNATCH

"brainwashed child"?????????? lol

http://www.christianpost.com/news/fo...e-sense-46146/

One reason for her interest, she explains, is that her "naturalistic worldview was inadequate to explain the nature of reality in a coherent way: it could not explain the origin of the universe, nor could it explain morality."

Holly Ordway

Last edited:

gtparts

CI article 8/20/2011

This is fairly interesting...... nominal "Christian" (with no personal relationship with God) ..... atheist...... and, finally, "back" to being a follower of Christ.

http://www.christianindex.org/7607.article

ambush80

But I thought they were just a bunch of ancient desert dwelling goat herders? Why would they want to "keep the masses stupid and not asking questions? Don't you think they were more worried about keeping their goats from getting eaten by ancient coyotes?

You can't have it both ways, thats not logical.... and it's anti-intellectual:D

It started with Jewish Rabbis (to control said goat herders) then the Romans got a hold of it and it has snowballed out of control since. Til now. Seems to me that more and more people are starting to realize what a sham it all is and are starting to rely on reason and common sense.

BANDERSNATCH

It started with Jewish Rabbis (to control said goat herders) then the Romans got a hold of it and it has snowballed out of control since. Til now. Seems to me that more and more people are starting to realize what a sham it all is and are starting to rely on reason and common sense.

except for the OPs super smart example.. :) common sense got the better of her

stringmusic

Is this just a theory that you have because you don't like Christianity, because you didn't use reason or common sense.::ke:

stringmusic

There's more than enough written in history. No one has to take my word for it.

Yea, but the people who wrote about the authors of the bible just wanted to make sure that the bible authors didn't have control so they made up a different story:rolleyes:.... yea thats it, unless I can come up with something better tomorrow.

So you are controled by ancient text after all ambush, and here you been makin' fun of Christians for believing in the bible.

Why don't you just give that sad song up? The people that wrote the bible didn't have any reason to want to "control the masses" and have them "not question things"

ambush80

Yea, but the people who wrote about the authors of the bible just wanted to make sure that the bible authors didn't have control so they made up a different story:rolleyes:.... yea thats it, unless I can come up with something better tomorrow.

So you are controled by ancient text after all ambush, and here you been makin' fun of Christians for believing in the bible.

Why don't you just give that sad song up? The people that wrote the bible didn't have any reason to want to "control the masses" and have them "not question things"

Wow. You really swallowed the whole thing, hook, line and sinker.

Asath

I'm not sure I understand. The contention, now, is that much of the Bible is a set of parables. Did I hear that part correctly?

A parable is, by definition, a story, a fable, perhaps containing a lesson. A fable is, by definition, a fiction, a fabrication, a fairy story -- in short, a lie.

So I'm confused. How do you believers decide just which of these fables are inconvenient to your particular belief system, and thus are merely parables to learn from, and which are literally true? I mean, clearly a believer must actually believe in SOME of them, or else they risk having to admit that their religion is underpinned entirely by a set of fairy tales. And I must think that allowing that there could be ANY fables, parables, or fairy tales in a major HOLY BOOK would tend to put a believer at risk of heresy.

So how about someone let the rest of us in on just what the secret criteria for credulity is? To merely say that, "THIS is clearly truth, to me, and THIS is clearly a parable, also to me," seems a rather selective and emotional way to establish the existence of the supernatural Creator of ALL THINGS, and seems like a pretty random and ofhanded way to treat one's Holiest set of writings.

ambush80

I'm not sure I understand. The contention, now, is that much of the Bible is a set of parables. Did I hear that part correctly?

A parable is, by definition, a story, a fable, perhaps containing a lesson. A fable is, by definition, a fiction, a fabrication, a fairy story -- in short, a lie.

So I'm confused. How do you believers decide just which of these fables are inconvenient to your particular belief system, and thus are merely parables to learn from, and which are literally true? I mean, clearly a believer must actually believe in SOME of them, or else they risk having to admit that their religion is underpinned entirely by a set of fairy tales. And I must think that allowing that there could be ANY fables, parables, or fairy tales in a major HOLY BOOK would tend to put a believer at risk of heresy.

So how about someone let the rest of us in on just what the secret criteria for credulity is? To merely say that, "THIS is clearly truth, to me, and THIS is clearly a parable, also to me," seems a rather selective and emotional way to establish the existence of the supernatural Creator of ALL THINGS, and seems like a pretty random and ofhanded way to treat one's Holiest set of writings.

You have to have the magik-holy spirit discerning powers.

mtnwoman

The Christians are monotheists, and they believe in the God of Abraham – the God of the Old Testament. They believe that this God came down to Earth and magically impregnated one of our Virgins, who spawned the Son of God, and then had that Son executed for some odd reason.

Can a virgin today give birth? Can a virgin be impregnated? That is not impossible ya know? and it's not magical.

mtnwoman

What does science say about talking donkeys?Wouldn't that seem possible with evolution:bounce:

Stop being such a 'fraidy cat.

No one who has Jesus as a saviour, is afraid of the debbil.

mtnwoman

You have to have the magik-holy spirit discerning powers.

You got that wrong, it's supernatural, not magical. There's a difference ya know? Well maybe ya don't......

mtnwoman

Can I get a witness up in here??

ambush80

No one who has Jesus as a saviour, is afraid of the debbil.

Actually, you are afraid of the Devil but you feel protected by Jesus. But 'Ol Scratch is there, looming in the shadows, waiting for the opportunity to STRIKE!!!!

I'm truly not afraid of the Devil because i don't believe he exists.