Is this the Atheists/Agnostics/Apologetics section

Newt2

I'm an Atheist and have been lurking this section for a while now. Because there are 4 other sections where folks can proclaim their faith, I thought this was one to find others that share my belief (or lack there of). After viewing a hundred threads and hundreds of posts, I found that 95% appear to be those trying to convince Atheists, etc., to convert to their religion, aka christianity.

One thread in particular, "Atheist Church" was quite misleading. To me, these "churches" are trying to do what other religious believers do. Try to influence people to a single individual's belief(s). In this section, I hoped to meet folks here that are Atheists and how it relates to them in the shooting industry.

Hopefully on here we can keep it real. You have your beliefs and I have mine. I've left or been kicked out of countless forums because of who I am so we'll see.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
You are in the right place and as long as things are kept civil with no name calling or personal attacks the conversations are worthwhile and people involved are knowledgeable. Unfortunately, the place has been on life support for months.

Ray357

AWOL
I am a Christian. I am very Calvinistic leaning. I am sure you have heard The Gospel. What you do with that knowledge is not up to me. I have no need to try to convert you, so long as you feel no need to attempt to convert me, we can get along fine. My duty is to spread The Gospel to those who have not heard. It's not my duty to beat those who reject it over the head with it.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
In my opinion the discussions have come to a halt mainly due to one side requiring answers beyond scripture and one side using scripture to back up scripture. Both sides "know" The Gospels and Scripture and the discussions have gone beyond what is contained in each. There have been 3 or 4 true Apologists that were able to take what is said in the Bible and lay it out in layman's terms with examples. They really made me think

Newt2

In my opinion the discussions have come to a halt mainly due to one side requiring answers beyond scripture and one side using scripture to back up scripture. Both sides "know" The Gospels and Scripture and the discussions have gone beyond what is contained in each. There have been 3 or 4 true Apologists that were able to take what is said in the Bible and lay it out in layman's terms with examples. They really made me think

Thanks for your response. What I am questioning is not what scripture and gospels are saying or what the bible is saying as that true Atheists do not believe or follow those things. Referencing those things have absolutely nothing to do with
Atheists/Agnostics/Apologetics. That's why I was questioning the title of the section. Maybe it should be "Christian beliefs concerning Atheists/Agnostics/Apologetics"

I sure hope I don't have to leave this site just as soon as I started because my beliefs contradict what others believe. I have over 40 years of handgun hunting experience where I can make contributions to this site based on experience and extensive ballistic testing and learn from others as well. I hope that this misguided dialog in this section won't jeopardize mutual positive results as a member.

Ray357

AWOL
Thanks for your response. What I am questioning is not what scripture and gospels are saying or what the bible is saying as that true Atheists do not believe or follow those things. Referencing those things have absolutely nothing to do with
Atheists/Agnostics/Apologetics. That's why I was questioning the title of the section. Maybe it should be "Christian beliefs concerning Atheists/Agnostics/Apologetics"

I sure hope I don't have to leave this site just as soon as I started because my beliefs contradict what others believe. I have over 40 years of handgun hunting experience where I can make contributions to this site based on experience and extensive ballistic testing and learn from others as well. I hope that this misguided dialog in this section won't jeopardize mutual positive results as a member.
Seems to me that you are the one trying to make your belief system an issue.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Seems to me that you are the one trying to make your belief system an issue.
Seems to me you make a issue about something everywhere you go. you have a ignore feature for other members using this this sight. I suggest you use it !
I’m sure plenty here use it for you.

WaltL1

I'll throw in my .02 cents :bounce:
If what you are looking for is Atheists/Agnostics discussing their beliefs with other Atheists/Agnostics..... we dont do a whole lot of that (almost none).
The vast majority of the A/As are interested in discussion and debate with the believer crowd (the Apologetics part). If the believers choose not to participate, its generally just crickets chirping around here.
And some friendly advice -
This is NOT a place to come to call Christians stupid etc.
If you do that you will find yourself getting spanked by ALL of us.

So post up whats on your mind and we'll see if it generates discussion.
And welcome!

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

Start up some conversation about what you want to discuss, this place needs a good kick in the butt to get it rolling

Ray357

AWOL
Seems to me you make a issue about something everywhere you go. you have a ignore feature for other members using this this sight. I suggest you use it !
Of course anyone who wants to ignore me is perfectly free to do so. I do agree I make issues of things in the political forum. People need to be passionate and take strong stands at this tipping point in our history. At this time in politics, issues need to be made and stands need to be taken. When some people are shown that they really care more about convenience than they care about our nation, they get mad. I don't care. I don't mind kicking sacred cows. I have never nor do I now seek to win a popularity contest. I abide by board rules. You obviously do not like me or what I say. I do not care. My mission on Earth is not to please you.

Newt2

I don't feel I am literate enough to express well what I think and feel. So for now I'll post a few quotes that may help with that.

“Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Ray357

AWOL
I don't feel I am literate enough to express well what I think and feel. So for now I'll post a few quotes that may help with that.

“Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
Who defines "decently"? In a post modern moral system, what is right to each person, is right.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Who defines "decently"? In a post modern moral system, what is right to each person, is right.
It has been that way all over the planet, in every society, in each family, down to the individual since the beginning of human existence.
Morals change and have changed.
Nobody or No Thing has established a written set of morals or decency. They change according to the situation, that is what makes us human.

Ray357

AWOL
It has been that way all over the planet, in every society, in each family, down to the individual since the beginning of human existence.
Morals change and have changed.
Nobody or No Thing has established a written set of morals or decency. They change according to the situation, that is what makes us human.
Situational morals change. Absolute morals do not. Without absolute morals, there is no right and there is no wrong.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
??????

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Of course anyone who wants to ignore me is perfectly free to do so. I do agree I make issues of things in the political forum. People need to be passionate and take strong stands at this tipping point in our history. At this time in politics, issues need to be made and stands need to be taken. When some people are shown that they really care more about convenience than they care about our nation, they get mad. I don't care. I don't mind kicking sacred cows. I have never nor do I now seek to win a popularity contest. I abide by board rules. You obviously do not like me or what I say. I do not care. My mission on Earth is not to please you.
What I find funny when your showing (as you say others) they get mad ?
When I show you. ( it’s because I don’t like you)
Guess you used that like thing as my reason.
has nothing to do with liking or not liking you sir. It has to do with forum rules. And I’ll post a few sence you feel you have not broken any. Your teetering on the edge.
Maybe good reading for several scare crow kickers
From the rules.

Furthermore, it is the intent of the Forum to provide an atmosphere where every member, regardless of age, nationality, race, creed, religion, political persuasion, sex, or level of education, shall be treated with the respect due them. This concept will be enforced with vigor.

The Forum expects and encourages the lively exchange of ideas and opinions. The Forum also expects these exchanges to be free of rancor and personal invectives. The rules are simple and clear for all. Be polite or be gone.

Any material deemed to be in poor taste or inflammatory to the forum and/or it's members can be removed arbitrarily by an ADMIN or MOD.

Use of this Board in any manner constitutes acceptance of the rules and of this disclaimer.

Thankyou for reading
Kmac

WaltL1

Situational morals change. Absolute morals do not. Without absolute morals, there is no right and there is no wrong.
Not sure thats accurate, at least not as you have written it.
What is an "absolute moral" is still an individual's or group's opinion/philosophy.

Ray357

AWOL
[QUOTE
Not sure thats accurate, at least not as you have written it.
What is an "absolute moral" is still an individual's or group's opinion/philosophy.
Absolute morality comes from The Creator, The sovereign God. Without morality being defined by God, all morality is relative. When you boil it all down, It's decided upon by who has the most powerful military.

jollyroger

I am probably more agnostic than anything, I was raised Catholic and my family are all practicing Catholics.

I keep a light finger on the goings on with the church more out of tradition than spirituality.

I have zero problems with Christians, in fact I probably get along better with Christians than atheists.

My son attends Sunday school (on Saturday) every week and I actively encourage it; I want him to come to his own conclusions as I was afforded the same opportunity, I would never dream of denying him experiencing Christianity.

The atheists in this sub are some of the most open minded and polite people I've encountered.

There are some real atheist pills out their that I do not wish to associate with.

And Walt keeps a nice music thread going, so there's that too.

Ray357

AWOL
I am probably more agnostic than anything, I was raised Catholic and my family are all practicing Catholics.

I keep a light finger on the goings on with the church more out of tradition than spirituality.

I have zero problems with Christians, in fact I probably get along better with Christians than atheists.

My son attends Sunday school (on Saturday) every week and I actively encourage it; I want him to come to his own conclusions as I was afforded the same opportunity, I would never dream of denying him experiencing Christianity.

The atheists in this sub are some of the most open minded and polite people I've encountered.

There are some real atheist pills out their that I do not wish to associate with.

And Walt keeps a nice music thread going, so there's that too.
I have observed that in general, the most vocal (on both sides) are trying to convince themselves more than others. Those secure in their positions can peacefully dialogue across the aisle.