Fox in the back yard.

Wood999

Hello,
I have a fox who moved under my shed. The shed is inside a fenced backyard. I noticed it when I saw it climb over the fence and go under the shed. Also new dug out spots have appeared.

How best to handle?

If pups are under the shed, what are the chances mom will not like me going into the shed?

Thanks for any imput.

Last edited:
Good luck...saw foxes a couple times, then a whole family of 5 in the back yard about 5-6 yrs ago. Checked with TWRA (state of Tn wildlife agency) and they told me, you can watch them, but cannot kill them or live trap and move them.

Of course, Georgia may have different regs, but out of season, and in an area where gunfire is illegal or uncommon, you may be stuck....

Last edited:

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
We had a momma skunk under our back deck, she had 7 babies! Well mom got hit by a car, and the little ones came out a day or 2 later. We caught them and found a rehab place in B'ham that took them.

Check locally for someone to come move them, or trap mom and get the little ones and relocate them yourself.

greg_n_clayton

Good luck...saw foxes a couple times, then a whole family of 5 in the back yard about 5-6 yrs ago. Checked with TWRA (state of Tn wildlife agency) and they told me, you can watch them, but cannot kill them or live trap and move them.

Of course, Georgia may have different regs, but out of season, and in an area where gunfire is illegal or uncommon, you may be stuck....
I would be more concerned about it being rabid. My thinking is it being strange nesting so close to humans !! But of course, in these parts, they have reason to be near humans. Things may be different in town.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
How close is a food source? Chickens? I had a fox problem last year...

hopper

We have a fox with pups in our back yard. Has not posed a problem. It usually runs back in the hole when we go outside.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Both reds and grays are notorious for having their litters close to homes and barns. I wouldn`t worry about it. It is about time for them to be having little ones.

Wood999

I live in a wooded subdivision. Back neighbors house is 100 yards behind. I have a salt block and game cam and pictures of all kinds of critters, wild and domestic. The lay of the land, with some other backyard fences make a great wildlife funnel. Only one I have not seen is a Bobcat.

Attachments

• EK000270.JPG
    EK000270.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 18

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I live in urban Marietta (Wheeler HS area), and we have a couple families of foxes in our neighborhood. There's a den under my neighbor's shed, and we see mom and the kits on almost a daily basis for over 2 years now. They've never caused any problems. 2 litters so far that I can tell since we moved here 2 years ago. The young-uns sit outside the den, and watch me do yard work through the fence. Once they get older, they get a little more wary of humans.

Lilly001

Ha! No way I am reaching in the hole.

No rabbits or Chickens. I would not mind it they took a few squirrels.
It looks like you have a free ticket to the fox show.
Enjoy it.
I have foxes in my back pastures at my place in Fl.
I like it because foxes and coyotes don't usually live together and I hate coyotes.:biggestshoot:

DannyW

If they are not acting strangely, or aggressive, and are not causing any problems with pets etc, why not let them be? They will keep the local rodent population under control.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I had a Momma fox raise 2 litters of Kits in a barn behind my house quite a few years ago, and I had 2 large dogs that would go up to the barn quite often. The old original section of that barn is raised above ground and setting on rocks/boulders as a foundation. My dogs wouldn't belly crawl up under it, but Momma could just crouch and get in under it.

Like others have said, enjoy the show the kits put on as they venture out playing and jumping all over each other.

Lagniappe: I did not know a Fox would crack and eat pecans out of the shell until I saw it with my own eyes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a pair of reds that raise a litter every year right around my house. I just enjoy watching them. Foxes can get amazingly tame if they're around people a good bit.

SGaither

No, they won’t bother you when you go into your shed unless you’re posing a threat to the kits when they are out, which is not likely. You may disturb them clunking around above their heads though.
I’ve got a den 50-60 yards from my back door and have watched them eat apples I’ve put out for deer. Quite comical seeing a fox trot off with a Red Delicious or Fuji then later find them half eaten around the mouth of their den. It’s also neat hearing momma and her kits being vocal in the evenings. As others have said, enjoy.

rayjay

About a mile from Sugar Hill city hall

Attachments

• 10230664 (1).JPG
    10230664 (1).JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 11