From a newspaper: Hunting interest in Bond Swamp?

stucka

Kind folks,

I'm a reporter with The Telegraph in Macon, working on a story about widened Fish & Wildlife regulations that could allow more kinds of hunting, more often, in more of the Bond Swamp National Wildlife Refuge (just east of Macon).

They're talking about changes in hunting past mid-2013, but say white tail are likely to get more hunting, from limited bow to bow and rifle probably over long time. Other things, from wild turkey to waterfowl to squirrel, will also be considered for hunting. Nothing's been settled.

Would anyone be willing to speak with me about their interest in hunting Bond Swamp? I'd need to speak with someone by Friday noon if possible by phone.

Mike Stucka
The Telegraph
mstucka@macon.com
(478) 744-4251

irishredneck

I enjoy going to Bond Swamp during the hunts. But its a large place with a large set of rules and a small open hunting season.
Do you need signatures or experience stories or what?

stucka

I enjoy going to Bond Swamp during the hunts. But its a large place with a large set of rules and a small open hunting season.
Do you need signatures or experience stories or what?

Nothing's for sure, but it sounds rather likely deer season's going to get considerably longer and with rifles, and then there's other game and more acreage (about a third more -- almost the entire thing, other than Brown's Mount) at least potentially opened for hunting.

I'm just looking for someone to talk to me about whether they'd like to do more out there, what they'd expect, whether they've been out there before and it how it compares to other places.

Mike

stucka

I should also say other wildlife refuges are getting potential expansions, but the other closest seemed to be outside Memphis and Charleston. Nothing else in Georgia.

Canyon

I hunt Bond swamp on just about every open hunt they have. Feel free to shoot me a PM and we can exchange numbers and talk for a bit.

stucka

Much obliged, Canyon. Happy hunting. And if you get in marital trouble over my recommendation of the AK-74, I don't know you. =)

There was a place called The Firing Line in Wyanadotte, Okla., that used to mill its own -74 receivers. They were awfully expensive at the time. There's a bunch of other options; I don't know how good the ones from Arsenal or any others are.

feathersnantlers

Gotta give The Telegraph their props. Y'all have better GT Football coverage than the AJC. If I want to know about GT FBall I read The Telegraph's website