Hunting experience counts

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
There's plenty who many have more hunting experience in the south than I. Wondering just how many can relate to my experience. Dad started me out with a single shot 16 gauge. In the Florida Big Cypress country at the head of the Florida Everglades. He didn't pamper me either. Back in the 40's and 50's, it usually took most of a day to travel through the swamps until we found enough game sign to setup a primitive camp. I was the gopher, or Go fer, go for firewood, go for water, go for everything. At the age of 9, it was quite an adventure as I wasn't a very big guy at that time. Saplings were cut to make a pole for a tarp to sleep under. Cots with mosquito bars and nets were a necessity. For water, we would dig a well 3 feet deep by about 3 feet across. Rules were to not dig under a tree, or too close to the waters edge in the cypress. Dip out three times and the water would be clear. Instructions given to me were. "Son, you go that way, we're hunting in this direction, don't get lost". Ha, first season, I would build a fire in camp, put some green stuff on it and go only as far as I could see the smoke. Each season I got braver, and eventually could just go and come miles from camp. Sometimes getting back to camp after dark after roosting turkeys. Went into the Navy in 60 and missed three seasons, only getting home for the 63 season. Killed three turkeys and a buck that week. 1965 season, Friend and I went to the same area Dad and I hunted. It was ruined by sugar and vegetable farms. Canals and people everywhere, we just turned around and went home. After that, I mostly bow hunted for fifteen years., too our 48 deer with the bow, Central Fl, Osceola co and a few in Alabama. Started a hunt club in 1975 in Macon Co. Al. Moved to Bullock co Al, in 85, then moved the club to Ga in 87 and am still in SW Ga. Managed a private hunting and timber farm from 1988 through 2002.
Photo of my first buck, a six point. Also shot an 8 that same trip, didn't get a photo. November 1959. Grew up in the woods next to a swamp in Hillsborough Co. Fl, even had a pet buck when I was a kid. Swamp cabbage, moonshine, outhouses, dirt roads and such was common discussions my first ten years. I was one of those kids who would sit around and listen to those old folks. Glad I did. Photo, my first buck, Next photo's, Best Florida bow buck, bow buck mounted 1975.

Attachments

• 19247835_10207451082795003_740746813947514261_n.jpg
    19247835_10207451082795003_740746813947514261_n.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Citrus8.jpg
    Citrus8.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Best Fl bow buck.jpg
    Best Fl bow buck.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 81

buckpasser

I love seeing a new person get into hunting, fishing or trapping no matter their age. That said, it’s hard to compensate for not being raised in it. I often hunt with family and friends that were brought up hunting as I was. So many things can go unsaid. We take for granted just how much skill it takes to become a proficient woodsman. Then, I get stuck guiding some rich goon that’s used to buying his way to success in every avenue of life and the appreciation comes flooding back. I watched one guy trip on a vine this year and face plant so hard that I was concerned for his dental work. Gun barrel hit him in the head and his brand new expensive turkey choke paperwork came flying out...

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I love seeing a new person get into hunting, fishing or trapping no matter their age. That said, it’s hard to compensate for not being raised in it. I often hunt with family and friends that were brought up hunting as I was. So many things can go unsaid. We take for granted just how much skill it takes to become a proficient woodsman. Then, I get stuck guiding some rich goon that’s used to buying his way to success in every avenue of life and the appreciation comes flooding back. I watched one guy trip on a vine this year and face plant so hard that I was concerned for his dental work. Gun barrel hit him in the head and his brand new expensive turkey choke paperwork came flying out...

I was a registered guide in Alabama back in the 80's. Didn't last long, Some people just don't have common sense, and that alone was tough to deal with. Trailing a shot deer once, had to take the rifle away from the fellow who had wounded it. I didn't like how he waved it around, often in my direction. Found the buck, shot it and told the fellow, There he is out in that beaver pond, go get him. It was a cold day. ....lol

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Coming from the 1940's, deer hunting has changed a bunch. When I first began, even seeing deer tracks was exciting. Then as there became more, seeing deer was exciting. Seeing a trophy class buck was just about impossible. Hunting management areas, any legal buck was shot. And that was never many. Leasing private land gave the opportunity to manage for trophies, and more deer. It was in the mid 1970's that I saw deer hunting like it should have been. It was then Alabama was a buck a day, plus there was doe days. Our lease had a recommendation to take out at least 100 deer per season for several years just to keep the numbers in check. I would take out 35 or 40 per season myself. Fed many people with all that meat. Today, there's enough deer most of us can pass younger bucks, holding out for mature bucks. Plus we have the opportunity in Ga to add some doe venison to our meals. Yep, might say, Many of us went from shooting anything legal that showed up. To holding out for big bucks with big antlers. And of course, some will say, "You can't eat those antlers". That I know, so I had rather take a couple does for strap and cube steaks. Bucks go mostly into ground meat, with strap cubed. Photos, I'm a magnet for piebalds.

Attachments

• 19895016_10207492907520595_1323862819901113057_n.jpg
    19895016_10207492907520595_1323862819901113057_n.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 51
  • AL2 .jpg
    AL2 .jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 54
  • A319.jpg
    A319.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 55
Thanks for sharing these photos. Experience really does count. Growing up in a hunting family is a great advantage. I did not grow up in such a family, and now over 40 yrs old, and being a new hunter, it is truly a steep mountain to climb. I will def be out there on opening day though, still trying to get my first deer. As for those that don’t appreciate help, nevermind them. The one’s that do appreciate it will carry your knowledge with them the rest of their lives, and maybe pass it on to their own kids. My mentor so far has been the GON threads and i appreciate every word of advice. Don’t underestimate the impacts your knowledge has.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
My track record shows I'm a successful hunter, outdoorsman. With that said, let me add. I don't rely on bought scents, corn or camo to hunt. I do have camo, most given to me as presents etc. I may buy camo trousers with the large pockets for the advantage the pockets have, and they don't show stains much. I do use a grunt call, and a pair of shed antlers to call. Turkey hunting, I use box calls, even though I can use mouth calls, including to gobble. Deer hunting, I used the wind in my favor. Going to and from stands, I take the route that crosses the least trails if possible. Truck is parked a long distance from the stand, I then take a golf cart the rest of the way, sometimes leaving is a short distance from the stand, then walking the rest of the way. Best method to kill mature bucks I hunt where bucks like to hang out, the thick areas watching ecotones. That also works well during the rut. For turkeys, I've found to be the most productive, it's best to set up where a gobbler wants to be. Sometimes it takes a few hunts to decide his favorite spots. I never tell anyone how to hunt, merely what I do to hunt. Before getting to an elderly age, I always walked from the truck to the stand. Golf cart makes it better when the old joints are worn. Sitting in blinds helps for the elderly because it's difficult for us to be still for long periods. We need to move now and then to ease pains. I haven't always been old though, back in younger years I would sometimes slip in on bucks. Shot this one when he got up behind me. Had to sit on him to ride him out a few miles in Macon Co. Al.

Attachments

• Al macon co.jpg
    Al macon co.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 30

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
One weeks vacation in Alabama back in the 1980's. Can't rattle like we see on videos here in Ga. Just rub them and click a bit for a couple minutes and hang em up. Nothing happens in 45 minutes or so, do it again. Dragged these out for the photo, all were field dressed.

Attachments

• best bama week.jpg
    best bama week.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 31

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Rattled this old buck across a beaver pond. Couldn't see him, but knew he had come it. He held up in a thick for almost an hour before moving to try and downwind me. That was his mistake. I'm still using those same sheds to rattle. Always have a large opening or road downwind of your position.

Attachments

• Alabama80's.jpg
    Alabama80's.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 23

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Rattled this ten point in to fifteen yards. Same ol rattling horns, and yes. That is what I was wearing. I had been messing with the guy and had a camo tie on. I had taken it off in this photo.

Attachments

• ten rattled.jpg
    ten rattled.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 21

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Bucks from the last two Ga seasons. Had to pass on a few to get these.

Attachments

• Pineywoodsbuck.jpg
    Pineywoodsbuck.jpg
    698.3 KB · Views: 26
  • pipe3.jpg
    pipe3.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Dec 10thbuck.jpg
    Dec 10thbuck.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 25