Front site help?

Geezer Ray

I have a Maid in West Germany , Sig Sauer P220 in 45 caliber. Date codes and proofs, date code is JE or 1985.
Now for the question. The front site is made into the slide, the back site is dovetailed. It is difficult for my old eyes to quickly aim with the existing sights. Does anyone know of aftermarket sights of the best paint to dot at least the front blade with?

Attachments

• 20240127_194503.jpg
    20240127_194503.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240127_194439.jpg
    20240127_194439.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240127_194802.jpg
    20240127_194802.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 20

Darkhorse

I use a bright orange, almost flourescent fingernail polish on my front sights. Bought at Walmart they had a large display to choose from. Makes the front sight stand out good against the wooded background.

sleepr71

I agree with bright Orange,or Yellow. Interestingly..I read a study on this a while back…and our eyes actually pick up GREEN better than other colors in low light conditions.! It’s because of the # of rods+ cones in our eyes & the colors they pick up. Green was consistently easier to pick up during dawn/dusk.

JR924

If you wear glasses, try the Lyman eye patch.

Game changer for me using iron sights with my rifle. Before I could see the target with the sights blurry or shoot without glasses and see the sights with the target blurry. With the eye patch, I can see both the target and the sights clearly. Suppose to work on handguns.

However it is expensive and the patches can fall from your glasses so I must keep my glasses by the gun. However what I am doing now is getting a new set of glasses (other ones scratched) and using the old pair of glasses as my shooting glasses. Going to get some black electrical tape and use a leather puncher to punch out a small hole in the tape and place it at the optimal location so my eye, patch and sights line up.

rosewood

I tried the green glo paint on a few front sights and found it is difficult to see in bright light. Removed it and replaced with fluorescent orange and that is much easier to pick up. Also, if you will paint the site white first, let it dry then paint the orange over, it seems to be brighter. I used Testors paint I bought at Hobby Lobby.

Rosewood

Attachments

• 18202473052.jpg
    18202473052.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 18202473023.jpg
    18202473023.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 5

rosewood

There are a couple of other options. If this is a gun you plan to be your primary EDC and you don't mind spending money on it. You can get a machinist/gunsmith to mill off that front site and cut in a dovetail for a replaceable front site. My P220 was already dovetailed and I installed Tru-Glo TFO sights on mine. Love them.

One other option, you could have that front site drilled straight through and install a fiber optic pipe in it. It wouldn't be as bright as one designed for it, but would be brighter than bare steel site.

Rosewood

Last edited:

bullgator

I bought a bright green paint pen from Skinner Sights.

rosewood

Just thinking... What will your buddies say if they see you shopping for nail polish in Walmart? :tip:
Hey, you can be what you want to be. Others are not allowed to question....

rosewood

• Haha
Reactions: Dub