Frost Coming!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We don't plant maters and peppers here until mid-May. Our average last frost date is May 10th.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Not yet. This is at our place in Walton County. I am thinking of planting some at the place on Sinclair to see if the milder weather might let them make fruit

It takes several years of not being cut down to produce bananas. I've heard two but @mrs. hornet22 says three.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Not yet. This is at our place in Walton County. I am thinking of planting some at the place on Sinclair to see if the milder weather might let them make fruit
You might do it on Sinclair,I know of some that made in Houston County,and some many years ago in Washington County. Keeping them wrapped up with mulch material I believe is key.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ya'll don't have near as brutal summers as further south though,do you?
No. We only get a few days in the 90s most years, if that. It often gets down into the 60s at night in the middle of the summer. I have never owned a home air conditioner in my life, if that gives you any idea.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Blowing snow here this morning. They're saying maybe teens here tonight. With 40-50mph wind gusts. That hurts after a couple weeks of nice warm days.

Yeah it does. It has been in the 40s here for a few days and although I love it, I was freezing all day :rofl:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah it does. It has been in the 40s here for a few days and although I love it, I was freezing all day :rofl:
I don't mind cold too much, but cold + wind is miserable.

crackerdave

Agreed. We can all do without heavy winds. I came home wednesday and had to get my rollaway garbage can from the cornfield a few hundred yards behind the house. No body got time for that !
Hey,Jim and Steve....are y'all gonna make it to the get-together?

oldways

My taters took at least a partial hit this morning. They are drooped over and limp,hope they pull out of it,they were sure pretty. They're not gone but I'll have to wait and see.
They ain't gone they will come out mine got burned hard last year with a frost and a old man told me to trim back the burnt ends and they'll come back and they did. I got all my other stuff in the greenhouse with a light on them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hey,Jim and Steve....are y'all gonna make it to the get-together?
I'm not going to be able to. They scheduled my second covid shot for late that Friday afternoon, and that's a long, long way to drive for one night.