Hunting a cold front

Deerhunter12454

Not to ruin the fun here, but numerous studies that followed movements of GPS-collared deer don't show any real correlation between temperature changes and deer movements. The 3 weeks surrounding the rut will always be the peak in deer movement throughout the season regardless of the weather, moon phase, or any other environmental factor.

Drop or rise in pressure doesn’t have anything to do with deer movement?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I remember once it started hailing in GA, tornado sirens going off, saw more deer than ever that day

WOODIE13

I find it hard to believe temperature and full moon doesn't impact deer movement, especially with the game and cell cams in use now say different.

WOODIE13

Start calling the auto body shops and see when you can get your car in, a sure sign the deer are on their feet

Mackie889

Start calling the auto body shops and see when you can get your car in, a sure sign the deer are on their feet
I hit a deer 2 weeks ago! $3200 in damage and have to wait another week before they can get the repair’s started. Luckily it is still drivable but I have to climb in on the passenger side because my driver side door won’t open! As far as deer movement after a cold front … what I’ve seen based on about 30 years of hunting, a cold front AFTER the winds die down on a moon phase where you see 1/2 of the moon (this upcoming weekend) usually results in more deer sightings. That moon phase for some reason gets terrible forecast but the peak movement times are always during the morning and evening hunts. Never understood why the full and new moons always show a great forecast, but I see the least number of deer during those times.

Attachments

• IMG_5168.png
    IMG_5168.png
    445.9 KB · Views: 15

WOODIE13

I hit a deer 2 weeks ago! $3200 in damage and have to wait another week before they can get the repair’s started. Luckily it is still drivable but I have to climb in on the passenger side because my driver side door won’t open! As far as deer movement after a cold front … what I’ve seen based on about 30 years of hunting, a cold front AFTER the winds die down on a moon phase where you see 1/2 of the moon (this upcoming weekend) usually results in more deer sightings. That moon phase for some reason gets terrible forecast but the peak movement times are always during the morning and evening hunts. Never understood why the full and new moons always show a great forecast, but I see the least number of deer during those times.
Sorry to hear that, they don't make cars like they used to.

If weather, moon, BP, food, temperature and rut fall in place, it's on, but timing is everything and game cam pics mean absolutely nothing

Mackie889

Sorry to hear that, they don't make cars like they used to.

If weather, moon, BP, food, temperature and rut fall in place, it's on, but timing is everything and game cam pics mean absolutely nothing
No doubt and I never mentioned game pics. The rut trumps everything as far as buck movement is concerned and it comes down to the exact same days every year regardless of temp. and other variables. Outside of the rut, in my opinion, cooler temps, a rising barometer, non-howling winds after a front, and certain moon phases get more deer on their feet, based on observations over 30 years in several different states.

WOODIE13

If the does move, the bucks move bottom line.

New boys show up, range 10 to 20 miles from home range during the rut is what I was getting at with cams. Hunted a few states as well, not many, just a few

Deernut3

Not to ruin the fun here, but numerous studies that followed movements of GPS-collared deer don't show any real correlation between temperature changes and deer movements. The 3 weeks surrounding the rut will always be the peak in deer movement throughout the season regardless of the weather, moon phase, or any other environmental factor.

Cold fronts get deer hunters moving not necessarily deer. I saw bucks trailing this week in 86 degree heat.

Buckstop

More deer moving is always great. But as the bucks are ranging farther on the cruise right now and moving more in daylight than any other time of year, the chances of seeing a good one, even if its only one are way up. Mature bucks are still moving when the rest aren't.

basshappy

BANNED
If my boy and I can hunt tomorrow morning, we will. My first deer was a buck with air temperature around 26°F just after sunrise. I heart his crunch crunch crunch crunch walk along a trail. It was chilly. My hands on steel revolver ... frozen fingers! If we hunt and we see deer that will be awesome. And if we hunt but see no deer - awesome too! Time in the woods away from people and technology and with Mother Nature is awesome.