Hunting a cold front

sportsman94

Well, with the cold front coming next week I figured I’d learn something from you killers. Looks like in my area we’ll have a 15 degree temp from from Monday to Tuesday, and another 15 degree drop from Tuesday to Wednesday. As far as mature bucks go, would you expect them to be most likely to move during daylight on Tuesday or Wednesday? I’ll hunt any day I can of course, but I’m curious if y’all have noticed any trends with mature buck movement in relation to the timing of the front

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
It seems to me if it’s a big front and it’s going to rain hard for hours then turn cold. The deer move like crazy filling their belly’s before it hit. Several times I have killed a good buck. Get it to the shed couple hours later tge bottom falls out. After the front passes it seems they move again. A old man I knew when when it was pure nasty in the day. More than once he came back with a good buck.
Great time to try before and after or as ending.

ditchdoc24

I'm planning on being in the woods Wednesday and Thursday morning. I'll probably sit until close to noon unless I can sweet talk my wife or mother in law into picking my daughter up from school.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Im off til the 6th. I'm expecting more movement Thursday and Friday than Wednesday.. That first cold day is kinda a shock to them to. Just my experience..
True

They usually bed down a day or two to try and wait it out in my experience to conserve energy. After a couple days, they are feeding like crazy and chasing

WOODIE13

Looks pretty good here, beats 75
Screenshot_20231028_205822_Chrome.jpg

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I’ve always liked the 2nd and 3rd day after a front passes. The wind dies down and the barometer is rising. Along with the cool temps and post full moon, next week could be a great time to be in the woods. I’m headed to my lease either Tuesday or Wednesday and staying through the weekend

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
The temp change definitely has me stoked! The few times I’ve been I haven’t seen any deer so I haven’t seen any chasing and nothing from the backyard bucks either. id think it’ll get them moving. Cold temps just make me want to go hunt, while warmer weather makes me want to stay home and shoot the bow……I thinks it’s as much about the idea of quartering in the field when it’s cold versus hot and yellow jackets wanting your meat too!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I’ve always liked the 2nd and 3rd day after a front passes. The wind dies down and the barometer is rising. Along with the cool temps and post full moon, next week could be a great time to be in the woods. I’m headed to my lease either Tuesday or Wednesday and staying through the weekend

Ditto. Nothing gets them on their feet like a good cold snap and the pre rut is on right now in my area.

WOODIE13

Well, temps dropped 15 degrees since this morning, rain moved in @ 12.

Going to be @ 32 in the morning, probably going to hit the woods tomorrow

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist