When is to cold

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
Me and some buddies are headed to Alabama to hunt Sunday through Wednesday this comin week. I saw Monday is not real bad but Tuesday it’s forecasted for a high of 32 and low of 14, about the same on Wednesday. I’m planning on sitting all day, in my past experience hunting Georgia and Alabama when it gets that cold it seems the deer shut down until it warms up some. Hopefully they’ll be moving with it being prime rut where we are going, what are everyone’s experience with deer movement when it’s that cold

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Me and some buddies are headed to Alabama to hunt Sunday through Wednesday this comin week. I saw Monday is not real bad but Tuesday it’s forecasted for a high of 32 and low of 14, about the same on Wednesday. I’m planning on sitting all day, in my past experience hunting Georgia and Alabama when it gets that cold it seems the deer shut down until it warms up some. Hopefully they’ll be moving with it being prime rut where we are going, what are everyone’s experience with deer movement when it’s that cold
Key words "prime rut." You better be in the stand, regardless of temps.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
IME, it’s opposite. The colder the better.

Georgia, South Carolina, Michigan,Colorado, Washington, and Oregon.

This ^ and dress appropriately. :bounce:

slow motion

IME, it’s opposite. The colder the better.

Georgia, South Carolina, Michigan,Colorado, Washington, and Oregon.

This ^ and dress appropriately. :bounce:

100%. They live in it year round. Theyve got there winter coats on- and their biology tells them they need to stoke the furnace with calories when the temps drop
What about this. End of season in Illinois is Sunday. Planned to go for last few days but dang. Not sure if I can stand it. Don't have gear for this cold.

Screenshot_20240109-071834_Weather.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Clearly they're built for it but as I've gotten older on some of these cold mornings I think the stork made a mistake and brought me a little too far north. :bounce:
Truthfully I couldn't see myself living anywhere else.

It`s pushing 50 years ago now, but I camped in a tent and hunted in the Routt National Forest in Northwest Colorado at around 8,500 feet altitude when it was getting down around 10 below at night, and I loved it. Snow close to two feet deep. Probably couldn`t do it now if my life depended on it. :p

slow motion

It`s pushing 50 years ago now, but I camped in a tent and hunted in the Routt National Forest in Northwest Colorado at around 8,500 feet altitude when it was getting down around 10 below at night, and I loved it. Snow close to two feet deep. Probably couldn`t do it now if my life depended on it. :p
Not as cold as your trip. October 2017. Me and my 2 boys. White River National Forest. Sunny and 60s the evening before. Single digits the next morning. It was tough for a few days till it warmed up.

We're you successful?IMG_20171021_104229.jpgIMG_20171021_103837.jpgIMG_20171022_170636.jpgIMG_20171021_103846.jpgIMG_20171021_103912.jpgIMG_20171022_170609.jpgIMG_20171022_170614.jpg

Doc_Holliday23

I've read some studies saying the opposite, and this is anecdotal, but I feel like I see fewer deer on high pressure, clear cold days. I'm sure there are other factors associated with that... possibly higher winds.

Regardless, I think a moving barometer is a definite Green Light. Hunting before and after fronts makes a lot of sense, of course. Probably my favorite time to hunt is to get in the woods an hour before it stops raining. But also I believe falling temps gets them moving as well as coming rain.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Not as cold as your trip. October 2017. Me and my 2 boys. White River National Forest. Sunny and 60s the evening before. Single digits the next morning. It was tough for a few days till it warmed up.

We're you successful?View attachment 1281938View attachment 1281937View attachment 1281939View attachment 1281940View attachment 1281941View attachment 1281943View attachment 1281944

Well, I didn`t freeze so I was successful on that. Saw plenty of mule deer does and small bucks, but nothing I wanted. Covered up in elk but the season had just closed on them. And a local let me try his snow machine which was a lot of fun. It was quite an experience for a young South Georgia swamper. Oh yea, two nights in a row a mountain lion followed me back to camp. Never saw it but it walked in my boot prints to within 50 yards of our camp.

175rltw

BANNED
I got run out of Wyoming by those kind of temps a few years back. Routinely see low teens and some single digits in northern Michigan in mid November.

You got to have a blind and a heater. And down booties for starters.

slow motion

I got run out of Wyoming by those kind of temps a few years back. Routinely see low teens and some single digits in northern Michigan in mid November.

You got to have a blind and a heater. And down booties for starters.
Had to thaw bore butter out. Around 8 or 9 degrees but it warmed up some. It's the relentless cold that concerns me.20221119_080243.jpg20221119_071501.jpg20221119_071426.jpg

slow motion

Good luck and I apologize for hijacking your thread.