Frustrated at my crossbow.

rugerfan

I just can't seem to get my rig to play nice. Problems all over the place.

2 1/2 years ago I bought a Killer Instinct Hero 380 crossbow, shot great with the bolts that were provided in the package I bought. Except add broadheads, the thing slung arrows all over the place. I tried Rage Hypodermics. Did not shoot well, destroyed some broadheads, bought some muzzy fixed blades, shot all over the place, destroyed some broadheads. Bought new bolts, shot ok with practice tips, but not like it did with the bolts provided in the package, screwed broadheads on, again it slung them all over the place. Couldn't get a decent group to figure out what scope adjustments I need to make. I decided I had no confidence in it or my ability to shoot it and cleanly kill a deer with it. I put it away and decided I will mess with it when I get time. Never got time.

Fast forward to this morning, tried it again with just practice tips, first shot dead on, second shot 4 inches to the right, third shot missed the target all together, buried the tip of the bolt in a pine tree. 4th shot 5 inches left. 5th shot high and right, hit the same pine tree as the second shot. only 2 feet higher.

I think the cheap scope that came with the package is toast, but again I am left with no confidence in it or my ability. Back to the closet she goes for now.

Mak-n-Memories

I purchased a killer instinct for my backup and for family to use. Had same issues getting zero. Thru scope away now shoot 2in groups at 50 yds.

rugerfan

I would definitely think scope or loose mounts. Are you using a cocking device or drawing the string by hand ? Likely your bolts are different length or different spine.

Bolts are all the same length and when I bought the new bolts, I bought a dozen of the same. Mounts are all tight, checked them again this morning. Using the cocking pull ropes.

rugerfan

Have you been waxing the string and rail regularly?

Every 5 th shot, I wax the string. That is what it stated in the user manual. Before each shooting session I wax the rail and the string. Then do it again after every 5 shots.

Kev

Mine did that and the rail the scope was mounted on was coming lose. Put some lock tight on it and it does better now. Also, mine would shoot broadheads weird too. The head that shoots the best with mine is the swhackers. I sight it in with the swhacker practice tip.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Strange that the first shot was dead on. I have a killer instinct boss. The bow seems to be a good one but the scope is not the best. I bumped the eyepiece on mine and it just fell off. A little blue threadlock and I was back in business.

rugerfan

Strange that the first shot was dead on. I have a killer instinct boss. The bow seems to be a good one but the scope is not the best. I bumped the eyepiece on mine and it just fell off. A little blue threadlock and I was back in business.

I know right, that just blew me away too, just couldn't get an idea to resolve the other bolts flying right and left.

rugerfan

Mine did that and the rail the scope was mounted on was coming lose. Put some lock tight on it and it does better now. Also, mine would shoot broadheads weird too. The head that shoots the best with mine is the swhackers. I sight it in with the swhacker practice tip.

Are they fixed or mechanicals? I checked the rail too, it was tight. I went over the whole rig checking the screws.

35 Whelen

I also bought a Killer Instinct crossbow, first thing I did was replace the scope.

tell sackett

What arrows did you buy? I agree it’s probably the scope if everything is tight, but good arrows will make a world of difference too. I’m not a long range shooter, just hunting distance, and I’ve had good luck with Bloodsport Witness arrows(wallyworld or fleabay). If you’re near Augusta Culpeppers in Evans has Black Eagle Executioners for $7.00 apiece (very good arrows).

Two more things, when you get one arrow that’s shooting good, use that one to sight in not different ones. Check your arrow retention spring and make sure it’s not loose or bent. I ran into that on one of my bows and it like to drove me nuts.

Patience

tell sackett

One more thing:LOL: If you do decide on a new scope check out Wyvern Creations. They have take off scopes that they remove from bows they’re customizing. You can get some excellent deals.

rugerfan

What arrows did you buy? I agree it’s probably the scope if everything is tight, but good arrows will make a world of difference too. I’m not a long range shooter, just hunting distance, and I’ve had good luck with Bloodsport Witness arrows(wallyworld or fleabay). If you’re near Augusta Culpeppers in Evans has Black Eagle Executioners for $7.00 apiece (very good arrows).

Two more things, when you get one arrow that’s shooting good, use that one to sight in not different ones. Check your arrow retention spring and make sure it’s not loose or bent. I ran into that on one of my bows and it like to drove me nuts.

Patience

I bought the Carbon Express Mayhems. They are 20" long. Also using 125 grain practice tips.