Frustrated at my crossbow.

tell sackett

Not familiar with them, but the reviews seem pretty good. Find one and use it. What you said about the first shot being good sounds a whole lot like what I went through with that spring. I would shoot a few times and it would be deer killing close at 40yds then it would start scattering arrows everywhere.

James12

I’ve learned that at that speed, the broadhead (at least 25 and inside) shouldn’t be having that much of a difference. If he’s got everything else right.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Every 5 th shot, I wax the string. That is what it stated in the user manual. Before each shooting session I wax the rail and the string. Then do it again after every 5 shots.
On the rail, are you using wax, or rail lube? There is a difference! I waxed my rail once and had problems. My Xbow came with rail lube that can double as string wax. I bought better wax, but it is NOT RAIL Lube. Rail lube when applied and wiped off is gonna leave a slick smooth surface…….when I used that wax, it didn’t.
I also filled a rabbit hole with bolts of different brands. Same issue as yours with FPs flying like darts, then mechanicals or fixed all over the place. ……..I feel your frustration believe me! I’ve shot and destroyed many bolts including some GTs, tried spine alignment to no avail. Best bolts I’ve found were the Barnett headhunter or the bone collector from Wally World.
Don’t give up yet!
I did also mark my string to make sure I was cocking it straight, using the rope cocking device….it’s another check and bout all I got for ya. Best of luck brother!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I bought the Carbon Express Mayhems. They are 20" long. Also using 125 grain practice tips.
While foc can be a good thing, don’t forget adding weight up front will flex your spine more. I tried heavier inserts in a few bolts, but went back to stock

rugerfan

On the rail, are you using wax, or rail lube? There is a difference! I waxed my rail once and had problems. My Xbow came with rail lube that can double as string wax. I bought better wax, but it is NOT RAIL Lube. Rail lube when applied and wiped off is gonna leave a slick smooth surface…….when I used that wax, it didn’t.
I also filled a rabbit hole with bolts of different brands. Same issue as yours with FPs flying like darts, then mechanicals or fixed all over the place. ……..I feel your frustration believe me! I’ve shot and destroyed many bolts including some GTs, tried spine alignment to no avail. Best bolts I’ve found were the Barnett headhunter or the bone collector from Wally World.
Don’t give up yet!
I did also mark my string to make sure I was cocking it straight, using the rope cocking device….it’s another check and bout all I got for ya. Best of luck brother!

I am using rail lube on the rail and string wax on the string. Never thought about marking the string to make sure that it is center in the rail, that is something I need to look at, I just assumed that it stayed centered. The bolts I am shooting are heavier grain than the the ones it came with.

Hillbilly stalker

I am using rail lube on the rail and string wax on the string. Never thought about marking the string to make sure that it is center in the rail, that is something I need to look at, I just assumed that it stayed centered. The bolts I am shooting are heavier grain than the the ones it came with.
That’s why I asked you if you where cocking with your hands or a rope. Easy to get it off centered. You can mark both sides with a sharpie.

Luvntheoutdors

Are you straightening your fletchings after each shot? When we shoot in our target it buries all the way to fletchings and we have to heat them up after each shot when sighting in.

BowanaLee

Crossbows are different than bows. You can’t tune the rest. I bet you need to tune your arrows. Here’s how you find out. Use that arrow that hit the dot. Use it over and over testing. Or any arrow, it should hit the same spot. If it preforms well solo, you need to tune your arrows to be alike. My xbows do the same thing.

chris41081

Sounds like all the variables are in check. With all due respect, unless you are just a terrible shooter, the first thing I would do is upgrade that scope. Good luck.

PoultryMan

Didn’t read the entire thread, but replace your scope. I put a Ravin scope on my KI and haven’t had any issues. I had the same problem as you before I switched scopes.

Stainlessman

I have a wicked ridge. It came with three arrows with practice tips. I bought three wicked ridge bolts that were expencive that had the lighted knocks. Which on hunting shows look great but the wicked ridge ones sucked. They would work , not work, come on when you don't want them On ect.
But I use the expencive ones with a mechanical broadhead hunting and the ones with practice tips to release the cocked crossbow. I have only used a crossbow one season. Letting alot of does with fawns walk last year. So I'm certinly a novice. It sounds like some folks target shoot with a hunting broadhead ?
Doesn't that ruin the broadhead and the target and possibly the bolt itself ?

12 Ring

I had a lot of trouble getting my bow to group with 100 gr. broadheads. I went to Rage 125 and have had no problems. crossbows are like muzzle loaders you got to find what works best in them.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I have a wicked ridge. It came with three arrows with practice tips. I bought three wicked ridge bolts that were expencive that had the lighted knocks. Which on hunting shows look great but the wicked ridge ones sucked. They would work , not work, come on when you don't want them On ect.
But I use the expencive ones with a mechanical broadhead hunting and the ones with practice tips to release the cocked crossbow. I have only used a crossbow one season. Letting alot of does with fawns walk last year. So I'm certinly a novice. It sounds like some folks target shoot with a hunting broadhead ?
Doesn't that ruin the broadhead and the target and possibly the bolt itself ?
The rages come with a practice broadhead , but if they didn’t I’d still shoot what I’m gonna be hunting with just to make sure they fly like my field tips

Heartstarter

I had a crossbow doing that once, turned out that the arrow tension spring that holds the arrowthe rail was broken. Replaced it and now it is a tack driver.

SuperCreech

If his field tips are flying good then I wouldn’t think his scope would be the issue, I would check cam timing and fletching contact since everything is tight .I would really look at fletching contact first