Fun day with the Whopper Plopper

Dialer

Hooked up the boat yesterday (Monday) and took the hour drive to Yellow Jacket on West Point. Bought a dozen minnows once there and headed out. Found a couple of coves with creeks and set out 2 rods with frisky minnows that basically sat out there and drowned after about 30 minutes. Not a crappie in sight. Tried a couple other coves at various depths hoping to find some, but they simply wasn’t there, boat docks were dead also with jigs or minnows.
So out comes the Whopper Plopper...Tried the usual places, near the banks with cover, and nothing...Finally got a yearling that struck and missed, the struck it AGAIN and got him...I found this to be hilarious...Really having a good time now.....I learned that they like structure in deeper water. I came up on the perfect target, threw in there, and BAM! That lunker NAILED it and took it deep. Drag smokin, he launched out of the water like a commercial on the Orlando Wilson show! About a foot in the air, he shook that lure in textbook fashion, literally throwing the lure back toward the boat. Very impressive fish, and he knew what he was doing for sure. Once on, he knew it was me against him, and he made me look like the amateur that I am.
One more half pounder or so, then this one, very healthy bucket mouth going around 3 pounds I guessed....Had a awesome day off altogether!!!5DD6B911-B7C7-46C9-95B8-F650FE0B41C7.jpeg

LittleDrummerBoy

That time of year. They are liking the Whopper Plopper. Whopper Plopper.jpg