GA Coastal Fishing Lingo

Deceiver

I've noticed that many of these threads include lingo that a novice/outsider may not pick up on. I've attached a small list of commonly used terms. This is by no means complete, but its a start.

Blown – Water muddied by wind, tide, or rain. Fishing in a “blown” spot is often an exercise in futility.

Bubba (beau)-rig – A twelve inch slip cork, kahle hook, and weight used to drift a shrimp or mud minnow. Highly effective and used by everyone named bubba, and those that refer to their friends as “beau.”

Bull – Large oceangoing redfish. When redfish reach sexual maturity, they go offshore to live and only return to the sounds in the fall to spawn. The rough cutoff for bull sized redfish is around 35+ inches. Sometimes bulls can be caught in the spring too.

Can – Floating buoy.

Cluster-%#*$ - The area within ½ nautical miles of a party beach or sandbar. This area is infested with drunk boaters, jet skis, and inexperienced idiots who collectively make fishing impossible/unpleasant.

Dead stick – throwing ones bait/lure into a likely area and not applying any action.

Doormat – Large flounder. Roughly 21 inches or better.

Drop – Carry over from offshore fishing. Lingo for a
fishing spot, gps coordinates, etc.

Good Eatin – Anything caught and posted on GON or coastal outdoors. Up to and including gar, bonnethead sharks, stingrays etc. Common use- “stingrays are good eatin!”

High and dry – A boat which has run aground on a sandbar, and now must wait until the tide comes back in.

Mess – A large quantity of dead fish. “John went out and caught a mess of trout for a fish fry” or just “nice mess.”

Peck3r – A small trout. Pretty much anything under 14in

Poon- A tarpon.

Pushing – Redfish swimming and feeding deliberately in shallow water.

Rat – a small redfish. Commonly assigned to redfish under 15 inches.

Roe-trout – Springtime female trout that are full of eggs. Usually used to identify large fat female trout above 18 inches.

Rolling – Tarpon gulping air. This action gives away the location of the school.

Sad-daddy – A large trout over 20 inches. Derived from the shape of a trout’s jaw when it is closed (it looks like a frown).

Slot – A redfish between 14 and 23 inches in GA waters.

Spring tide – Tides with highs over 8 ft. Spring tides flood tailing flats, but also blow out many areas.

Super-rat – redfish in the 15 – 18 inch range. They eat everything, and are extremely easy to catch.

Tailer - A redfish eating off of the bottom in an area shallow enough to cause its tail to become exposed.

Tailing Flat – a hard bottomed flat with shorter and sparser grass that floods on a spring tide. Tailing flats are usually covered with fiddler crabs and snails when they aren’t flooded

Tater chip – A small flounder. Pretty much anything under 15 inches.

The ditch – The inter-coastal waterway

The hill – The mainland, or dry land in general

The man – DNR agent. Commonly encountered at the most inopportune times

Trash – Fishermen that don’t respect fellow anglers. Common behavior of trash includes barging into a location already occupied by a boat on anchor/trolling motor, keeping over/under-slot fish or more than the limit, waking boats that are fishing in shallow water etc. Common saying- “I’ve been fishing this drop for years, I don’t care if you were here first.”

TT – Tripletail. Delicious saltwater steroid bream that float around on top or hang out under structure.

Whiting patrol – Random boats fishing in the middle of a channel or in spots (correctly or incorrectly) assumed to be unproductive. Usually the whiting patrol is in a boat that doesn’t appear to be seaworthy.

ssiredfish

Whiting patrol....thats funny. Boat is also Id'd by the mid-80's Mariner or Tohatsu motor also.....

Couple more....

"free-gaff" - Not an actual free gaff but sticking an unsuspecting 40-60lb Cobia with a hook on a stick instantly turning it into a writhing ball of muscle. Commonly performed by the lightest angler on the boat who cant figure out why his shoulder hurts the next day

"Yankee-weight" - 12" of spiral-wrapped mono-like material with a weight on the bottom and a cheap hook protruding out off the middle of the leader via a metal armature. Commonly used by those who dont have a clue.....you know who you are

EClass

Tybee Flounder- Sringray caught from the pier. If you catch one that is all that will bite.

erock

Is there a "forum friendly" name for that guy who passes by a marina at half throttle thinking hes at idle speed thus throwing out the largest wake possible?

This phenomenon can mostly be viewed on Labor Day weekend, Memorial Day weekend and the 4th of July.

dawgwatch

whiting patrol right here, haha... I recognized it by the unproductive/productive drop spots. I have the mid 80's suzuki if that counts...The yankee weight sounds promising, I may give it a soaking next time. And for what its worth, a big ole mess of them bull whiting sure is some good-eatin... Good post

savreds

Is there a "forum friendly" name for that guy who passes by a marina at half throttle thinking hes at idle speed thus throwing out the largest wake possible?

This phenomenon can mostly be viewed on Labor Day weekend, Memorial Day weekend and the 4th of July.

"Idiot" will work!!! And there's way to many of them!

Deceiver

Good stuff

Keep them coming. Just thought of a couple more:
Mehoff: a jack crevalle
R Kelly: a ladyfish. Lady fish are to boats as R Kelly is to underage girls.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
"Bull Whiting" = A big ole' whiting, a term coined by my 12 year old. :)

Nice!!!!! My favorite to eat out of all the inshore fish!!!!

sea trout

:rofl:Holy smokes I strongly dislike that guy!!!
Especially when I'm at idle speed obeying the no wake law but I'm in a serious hurry then "that guy" blows by!!!!:shoot:

sea trout

"Skinny"= Water that many boats and drivers need to stay away from! This term "skinny" is often miss diagnosed.
"Skinny" can be whenever one is pushin their boat through the minimum safe water that particular boat can allow.

In a sentence: We had da trim up and all fer of us had to take a corner of da skiff and cap'n blew threw dat dare skinny water doin thirty mile an aer!!!:cool: