ga income tax

hipster dufus

trying to do my taxes. my taxable income for ga is considerably more then my federal taxable income. can anyone explain this? i have a standard deduction on my federal income of 12k what is the ga standard deduction?

centerpin fan

Georgia income should be less with retirement income exclusion.

What software are you using?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I know that NC gives a lot less deductions than the federal government. They take your federal return and gut it.

hipster dufus

i am ineligible for retirement exclusion. too young, 58, u must be at least 62 i believe. the federal return has 20700 lopped off it. 2 exemptions and the standard deduction. the state only has about 10k lopped off. am i right? in other words if i made 50k total, i would pay taxes on about 30k for the feds. and for the state i would pay taxes on 40k?

Oldstick

The standard deduction IS much less for GA than on the federal.

One year I was at near the borderline and I was a little better off taking the standard vs itemizing on my federal return. Then when I got to the GA form, I discovered the rule requiring you to do the same on both fed and state. I went back and itemized on the federal. Cost me a little extra on the federal but saved several hundred on the state.

Nowadays, we aren't even close to itemizing so no choice but to bite the bullet.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
What's worth than the deductions is how they get you if you earn money in another state.