Garage Concrete Floor DIY Coating

paulito

So how difficult is it to do one of these DIY coatings on your concrete garage. Ours if definitely in need of an upgrade and i have no experience with it. Pretty handy, so no scared to try but if it is really detail oriented it may not be for me. Any thoughts woudl be appreciated.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the 2 part epoxy is pretty easy to do, just make sure you mix it up real well. The cooler weather will help give you more time to spread it out before it starts to harden. In hot weather, it will start to harden before you can get it all spread on the floor, and wear blisters on your hands from pushing that paint roller, and you have to cut in the edges with a brush.

I like the ones with the sprinkles in it to make the floor multi-colored with the chips. They have to go down before the floor is dry. I would buy extra chips because they don't seem to give you enough to cover the floor. At least to my liking. They suggest that you cover the chips with the clear finish afterward. It will last longer if you do. The finish is pretty durable, except for metal scrubbing over it. If you slide a set of shelves, or a machine with metal legs against it, it will scar it up pretty bad.

Good luck

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Another option is acid staining. I've used the Vivid products with nice results.

hopper

What kit? They are not created equal.
1. No matter what kit or material you use prepping the floor will be The Most Important thing you do. Diamond grinding or shot blasting is preferred.
2. 100% solids epoxy is what you need for a professional finish. 1 gallon at 120sqft. Sold in 3 gallon kits. About $70 gallon.
Flakes "sprinkles" 30 pounds per 400 sqft $3.5 per poun
3. Polyaspartic top clear coat 200sqft per gallon sold in 2 gallon kits.
Above is what we use on garages and commercial floors alike. If you plan on using these type materials PM me and I will send you my supplier in Roswell they can walk you through it.
The most important thing is prep I can't stress this enough. We redo DIY floors all the time because they didn't grind the floor and open the pours for the coating to hold on to.
Now if you go with big box kits you can rent a buffer and diamabrush attachment. Just go slow and really get those pours open. If you do that the diy kits may hold up.https://www.homedepot.com/p/rental/Diamabrush-Concrete-Prep-Tool-12570/316821698
Good luck. Reach out if you have any questions.

Last edited: