Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

JHannah92

Me and the family are headed up to a cabin near Gatlinburg in July. I've never been there- went to pigeon forge as a kid but don't remember much. Any suggestions for kid friendly activities? The kids will be 4 and 6. We'll be there 4 full days, one of which will be spent exploring the national forest and trout fishing. I know there are tons of attractions in the towns, looking for recommendations from anyone who's been with young kids. Restaurant recommendations are certainly welcomed as well.

firebreather

Harpoon Harry's, get the Alaskan crab legs , no price on menus know why? I dont care its worth it , I've never seen any that big nor any that tasted better , great meal

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Last time we were in PF/GB with our then 2yr old granddaughter, we took her to the Dixie Stampede. She had a blast, also there were several small kid rides scattered all through PF. The Aquarium in GB is a good kid friendly place also.

We just returned Sunday from our cabin in the Wears Valley area. While I enjoy simply hanging at the cabin (ours was pretty secluded) the rest of the clan did the Sevierville and Gatlinburg stuff.

Highlights for them tend to include one of the several go cart tracks and even a zip line. Traffic on the "strip" can be frustrating with the crowds and they only do the Gatlinburg thing for shopping one day.

I'd also recommend Cades Cove as a morning well spent. I suspect the bears should be visible in this moderate weather too. We didn't go there this trip, something like our 15th such vacation in the last decade or so.

Enjoy your vacation!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Cades Cove and Smoky Mountain Knife Works for sure. There is very good trout fishing right in town. There is even a section just for kids on the south end of Gatlinburg. Stop at the visitor center and make sure you have the proper license. Those trout really like Trout Magic lures.

Artfuldodger

Funny on the other thread Pappy Hoel mentions all the pancake houses. That was my observation as well. I had always wanted to camp near Townsend on the Little River to go tubing. Age 4 may be too young to do it though. I'd at least make them wear a life jacket, required if under 12. Also some type of river shoe. The slipper type may offer better protection from rocks. Here is "Cowboy Tubing." Supposedly no minimum age.

http://cadescovestables.net/tubin.html

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Funny on the other thread Pappy Hoel mentions all the pancake houses. That was my observation as well. I had always wanted to camp near Townsend on the Little River to go tubing. Age 4 may be too young to do it though. I'd at least make them wear a life jacket, required if under 12. Also some type of river shoe. The slipper type may offer better protection from rocks. Here is "Cowboy Tubing." Supposedly no minimum age.

http://cadescovestables.net/tubin.html

Indeed.. that started a running joke in our family. Someone always suggesting the need for a pancake or an old time photo.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
One thing we really enjoy is picnicking in the park. Every time we go to Cades Cove we lunch at the picnic area at the entrance. We'll grill hotdogs, hamburgers, sausage, etc.
There are several picnic areas throughout the park. Most if not all are next to a creek the kids can play in.

georgiabound

You should catch one of the shows at the Comedy Barn. They are in PF and well worth ticket price.

Also, try Mama's Farmhouse for dinner one evening. It's a little pricey, but if you leave hungry; it's your fault.

HermanMerman

Just got home from a three day trip to Gatlinburg with a six year old and a three year old. The aquarium was a good time for sure. We also visited the Smoky Mountain Deer Farm which the kids loved. We hiked through the park one day but didn’t get to explore as much as I hoped since the kids couldn’t keep up.

One thing I thought was a waste of time and money was Anakeesta. Not a lot to do once we got up there.... the ski lift ride was the best part.

We didn’t eat out a lot, but we did eat breakfast one morning at Crockett’s which was good.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
X2 on Comedy Barn!
Clean, funny & affordable.

bany

We got a pretty cheap pass to all the ripleys places when we went to the aquarium. My 5yro granddaughter got a big kick out of believe it or not, the 5D theater was a bit much for her. The dinner shows are mostly all good I’d say. Mother Nature...always a big hit!

srb

There was snow on the parkway Sunday,It was super windy on the top..I think sometimes it is much warmer in pigeon forge .15 20 degrees higher..

We hiked two days there .

If you like hiking wildlife etc,The park is awesome ..

Also if you like the amusement park style .Dolllywood is great for kids

Lots of water parks in pigeon forge ..

Plenty to do..

rip18

When you get there, go to the Sugarlands Visitor's Center in Great Smoky Mountains National Park and get a Junior Ranger booklet (that way you'll have lots of time to complete the activities), and your oldest can get a Junior Ranger badge before you leave (booklet and badge free). Yes, Cade's Cove is worth the drive, especially if you can do it and be in line when the gate to the cove opens. The Roaring Fork Motor Nature trail in Gatlinburg is closer, and you'll see some old buildings, waterfalls, and sometimes wildlife. An easy trip, and an easy way to knock off some of the activities in the Junior Ranger booklet.

Yes, the Ripley's Aquarium is good.

Maybe go to one of the gem mining places - there is an indoor one on the west end of Gatlinburg. Those mines are (of course) salted, but the little folks seem to like it.

I enjoy eating at the Alamo Steakhouse and the Smoky Mountain Brewery.

Have fun!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have been to PF a couple of times in the last 12 years or so. I don’t remember liking it.
Now reading through this thread has me wanting to try it again. ?

Latest posts