Gator in our lake

champ

Yep, there's a five foot alligator in our lake in Washington County. We had a feeling it was there but hadn't seen it, then Sunday morning having coffee; there it was! We had been fishing the night before, and tossed all the left over chicken and beef liver into the water. Sheriff's Deputy we know said just go ahead and kill it, since our kids play and swim there, but... is this allowed or should I have DNR on-site?

champ

I don't really want to get rid of it. I think its pretty cool to watch, but my youngins are like huck-finn and I could easily imagine them pushing the boundries. I'll go ahead an just see if I can get ahold of the GW. If it does get 86'd I'd like to be able to keep it for meat and hide if they allow it.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Contact DNR and explain the situation. And remember, it will come back to where food of any kind is thrown in the water. Once it becomes habituated to humans, it will be doubly dangerous.

champ

Contact DNR and explain the situation. And remember, it will come back to where food of any kind is thrown in the water. Once it becomes habituated to humans, it will be doubly dangerous.

Copy that Nic! WRD Biologist is meeting me down there Saturday.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Gator season opens August 14th. If she says no, post an add in local papers offering g to let a hunter lil it if they share the meat or something. 5 foot is small and moat people waiting 4 years for a tag might not want one that small, but you may get lucky.

cowhornedspike

DNR can issue a nuisance permit to get rid of it but the trapper gets to keep it unless you buy it from him. I am not aware of a way they will just let you kill it and keep it otherwise beyond getting drawn for a regular gator hunting permit.

swamp hunter

A 5 foot Gator ain't much.
If your kids got some size to them he ain't gonna drag them under..

GA native

Were it me, I would have just removed the threat. And not told a soul.

But now that the world knows, you are stuck following protocol.

LOVEMYLABXS

Thought the same except SSE (shoot, shovel and eat the rest) hard to convict without evidence and no kids harmed. I don't care if it's to small to drag someone under a bite can cause doc bills that are unreal. If you normally throw food out like Nic said it will be back.

Buddy of mine killed one in his lake, had the hide out tanning GW came and took the hide and gave him a warning. Apparently some one was trespassing saw the hide and dropped a dime.

champ

Following protocol has never cost me anything other than taxes, so no problem there. This weekend we found out there's another one. We guess His head to be about 2' long from eyes to snout. Much bigger than the other one. WRD has been great to work with and set us up with the nuisance trapper for when the time comes. Rachel's Father has a tag and will end up getting one of them, and we'll have the trapper take the other. Kids will just have to keep their butts outta the water for now. Its been enjoyable watching them lurk around the waters. We appreciate all the insight and answers Fellas.