Gator in our lake

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
2 foot eyes to snout would be a 24 foot gator.

MudDucker

Staff member
I only see 6-12 of them every morning out of my big picture window!

cowhornedspike

2 foot eyes to snout would be a 24 foot gator.

Can't begin to tell you how many times someone told us they had a "huge" gator in their pond only to get there and find nothing bigger than a 6 footer...same goes for snakes...

humdandy

Banned
Yep, there's a five foot alligator in our lake in Washington County. We had a feeling it was there but hadn't seen it, then Sunday morning having coffee; there it was! We had been fishing the night before, and tossed all the left over chicken and beef liver into the water. Sheriff's Deputy we know said just go ahead and kill it, since our kids play and swim there, but... is this allowed or should I have DNR on-site?

I had a DNR warden tell me to go ahead and kill it.......he has been to my house and saw the area.........he did also tell me the correct way of doing it.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Wrasle it and throw it on the smoker.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I've heard gators sink when you shoot 'em. Just sayin. :pop:

They rise to the top in a couple of days. Was a fairly common sight back in the day to see gators floating around. Most of the time with their tail gone.

ryanh487

If I wasn't concerned about pets, children, or livestock, I'd just leave it be. If I felt concerned for any of those, I would request the appropriate legal permissions and go from there but the problem would get sorted out one way or another before it was said and done, regardless of the government's permission. Safety to my loved ones is top priority and I wouldn't risk losing a child or family pet over an out of season overgrown lizard on my own dang property.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
If I wasn't concerned about pets, children, or livestock, I'd just leave it be. If I felt concerned for any of those, I would request the appropriate legal permissions and go from there but the problem would get sorted out one way or another before it was said and done, regardless of the government's permission. Safety to my loved ones is top priority and I wouldn't risk losing a child or family pet over an out of season overgrown lizard on my own dang property.

I had to to run hog wire fence around my cabin at Lake Seminole to keep the varmints from getting our dogs. Aggravating reptiles don`t realize that there is a mighty thin line between being a critter and a varmint.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I had to to run hog wire fence around my cabin at Lake Seminole to keep the varmints from getting our dogs. Aggravating reptiles don`t realize that there is a mighty thin line between being a critter and a varmint.

there are some two legged that don't know the line either.

NOYDB

BANNED
If you are going to go ahead and kill it. Do it, and never say a word, ever. Have a shovel handy and a place to bury it prepared/picked out and do it.

If you have to talk about it and show off what you've done. Go ahead and get fitted for your prison jump suit.

A GW does not have the authority to authorize you to kill a critter that it is not legal already to kill. And while he may tell you he intends to look the other way. That might change when the local Animal Rights mushhead is screaming bloody murder and wants to know what he is going to do about it. And if he doesn't they will scream at/to his boss.

The police will tell you they catch a large percentage of criminals because they brag about what they did and the detectives listen.

champ

We appreciate all the great advice Fellas. We have no intentions of killing them immediately. They're enjoyable to watch, we're aware that's their space for now. When we go out in the boats to fish, they get out of the way. Rachel's Father drew a tag, so he'll take one when the time comes, and the WRD's nuisance trapper will remove the other one.
When the Sheriff's Deputy told me 'go ahead and kill it' I thought that might be above His pay-grade, so I figured my Buddies on here could chime in. Best buds in the world, right here on our own little Georgia outdoors forum.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Truth^^^

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
When the Sheriff's Deputy told me 'go ahead and kill it' I thought that might be above His pay-grade, so I figured my Buddies on here could chime in. Best buds in the world, right here on our own little Georgia outdoors forum.

The forum members really make this a great place with all their awesome advice. X2.

Hornet22

ROMEO
Ya'll some lucky folks. I ain never seen a gator cept in one of them gator zoo's they got in florda; an I lost all my guns in hurricane Hugo back in '89.:cheers:

MCBUCK

actually...1+1=39

If there's two in the pond, there's three :)

buy some more chiken.....you might have more gaters than you think

"REPRODUCTION

Nearly all alligators become sexually mature by the time they reach approximately 7 feet in length although females can reach maturity at 6 feet. A female may require 10-15 years and a male 8-12 years to reach these lengths. Courtship begins in early April, and mating occurs in May or June. Females build a mound nest of soil, vegetation, or debris and deposit an average of 32 to 46 eggs in late June or early July. Incubation requires approximately 63-68 days, and hatching occurs from mid-August through early September."

http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/managed/alligator/facts/