Georgia Deer Restocking 1928-1974 Program History

herb mcclure

Thant's to "Born To Hunt and Fish" for posting this highly informative thread pertaining to Georgia's deer stocking.
As a former Georgia Game and Fish personnel during the years of 1958-1963, I can relate to many of the names of game management people and the area game wardens back in my days, where those deer where being released. I also witness many of those stockings actually taking place, although I was in fish management.
As many older sportsman know, I am more known as a turkey hunter than a deer hunter. However, I have many great memories in the deer woods, before hunting clubs were the norm, and I have just recently written a book telling about my deer hunting.
Could someone possibly post-up a thread on the G O N's turkey forum, like this thread,for turkey hunters to learn from?
I my self starting turkey hunting the 1956 season. The Blue Ridge WMA was the place, which is where the late Arthur Woody had saved the turkeys there.
Herb McClure

Bananaslug22

Thant's to "Born To Hunt and Fish" for posting this highly informative thread pertaining to Georgia's deer stocking.
As a former Georgia Game and Fish personnel during the years of 1958-1963, I can relate to many of the names of game management people and the area game wardens back in my days, where those deer where being released. I also witness many of those stockings actually taking place, although I was in fish management.
As many older sportsman know, I am more known as a turkey hunter than a deer hunter. However, I have many great memories in the deer woods, before hunting clubs were the norm, and I have just recently written a book telling about my deer hunting.
Could someone possibly post-up a thread on the G O N's turkey forum, like this thread,for turkey hunters to learn from?
I my self starting turkey hunting the 1956 season. The Blue Ridge WMA was the place, which is where the late Arthur Woody had saved the turkeys there.
Herb McClure

Good Morning Mr McClure.
Were you involved in the 1962 Troup County release?

Thanks,
Larry

herb mcclure

Good Morning Mr McClure.
Were you involved in the 1962 Troup County release?

Thanks,
Larry
No Mr. Larry I was not there for that release of WISCONSIN deer, which were being stocked then as well as Texas deer. The records show a Mr. Robert (Bob) Howarth was the game management man from THE Gainesville district office that did the stocking, and a personal friend.

Bananaslug22

Thanks for the reply. My father had told me they were from Wisconsin so thanks for confirming that along with the pics of the paperwork that another gentlemen posted in this same thread.
I will try to get the pics of the release that my great Uncle supposedly has.
- Larry

herb mcclure

Hope someone can post information about turkey stocking that the state did, like the deer stocking information that Born to Hunt and Fish did 20 years ago. Herb McClure

psedna

UAEC
It is not listed in the records, but I distinctly remember seeing a game wardern truck with a wooden cage in the back bed of the truck, coming through Miller county when I was around high school age give or take that would be 1968 through approximately 1973. The owner of the gas station told us youngsters that they were stocking deer....