Trapping Beaver on National Forest

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I don’t think I would, but a few reasons could be edible meat, coyote bait meat, and castor collection.
Great reasons , I didn’t think of any of that . I guess I don’t see them causing any problems as long as they aren’t damaging someone’s pond or property . And I love a good beaver pond for all types of reasons . Actually them and bobcats are 2 of the coolest critters in the woods to me .

Lukikus2

Back in the late 70's early 80's some of my best hunting experiences were on "no mans land". Not privately owned but always borderd private land. Never trapped though. Someone did. Let a german shepherd out of a leghold one day.

Doug B.

Why would anyone want to trap beaver on public land that aren’t causing issues anyway ?
I have trapped beaver on public land but they were causing issues there. They had dammed the creek and the water was backing up and getting into the road. There were beavers farther down the creek too where there wasn't a road and I didn't set any traps there.
I don’t think I would, but a few reasons could be edible meat, coyote bait meat, and castor collection.
Those are good reasons to trap them on public land but I usually catch enough around farmers fields to get all that I need of those things.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I have trapped beaver on public land but they were causing issues there. They had dammed the creek and the water was backing up and getting into the road. There were beavers farther down the creek too where there wasn't a road and I didn't set any traps there.

Those are good reasons to trap them on public land but I usually catch enough around farmers fields to get all that I need of those things.
I’ve seen them make a mess in cotton fields . Cut down a lot and take it with them. I use to be a farm consultant, mostly for insects and worked with a crop duster . I’ve seen the destruction they can cause . Flood acres of farm land literally over night . They sure make some good duck habitat though

Doug B.

By their nature they cause issues. They eat the bark from around a beautiful hemlock tree which kills it and move on to the next tree and repeat the girding that kills it too.
And by doing that it creates a different habitat than what was there. I can see benefits to having beavers to help create diverse habitat. I try to help farmers, that are growing food for all of us, to keep beavers from flooding many acres of their fields, or causing sinkholes where they build their bank dens from giving in when the farmer drives his truck or tractor over it, etc.

When they fell trees and makes dams on public land that is away from private land for the most part is not really an issue. The habitat they create is beneficial to other wildlife. They do have a place and are a great tool in some places.

longrangedog

And by doing that it creates a different habitat than what was there. I can see benefits to having beavers to help create diverse habitat. I try to help farmers, that are growing food for all of us, to keep beavers from flooding many acres of their fields, or causing sinkholes where they build their bank dens from giving in when the farmer drives his truck or tractor over it, etc.

When they fell trees and makes dams on public land that is away from private land for the most part is not really an issue. The habitat they create is beneficial to other wildlife. They do have a place and are a great tool in some places.
Native trout waters are degraded when trees, especially hemlocks, are killed.
Those trees provide shade that helps keep water temperature low enough for trout to survive. Developers create a different habitat when they clear land to build subdivisions. Different isn't necessarily better.

Doug B.

Those trees provide shade that helps keep water temperature low enough for trout to survive. Developers create a different habitat when they clear land to build subdivisions. Different isn't necessarily better.
That don't make them all bad. They have a place that is beneficial to other habitat. When they cause problems it is good to take care of them. All waters are not native trout streams. All of the native trout streams that I know about doesn't have any beavers.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There is also often excellent trout fishing in beaver ponds.

Lukikus2

I like threads like this. Years ago I never could get answers from legislators about use of Federal or State property for harvesting game. Big grey area. I knew a guy that ran traplines through a wildlife refuge and in city limits also. Some of the most beautiful land I've hunted beavers created.

Witch makes it unsavourable to your weekend hunter.

Heath

Could you post a picture now or ever of a beaver killed Hemlock in a Native trout stream. Not likely, there isn’t but a few Native trout water streams left here in North Georgia and Beaver have been far removed from anywhere near them.
Please don’t post a picture of your favorite soap head hole.

longrangedog

I mean, I don’t care if anyone wants to trap beavers but I’ve never seen all these beavers girdling Hemlocks.[/QUOT
§ 27-1-28. Taking of nongame species

(a) Except as otherwise provided by law, rule, or regulation, it shall be unlawful to hunt, trap, fish, take, possess, or transport any nongame species of wildlife, except that the following species may be taken by any method except those specifically prohibited by law or regulation:

(1) Rats;

(2) Mice;

(3) Coyotes;

(4) Armadillos;

(5) Groundhogs;

(6) Beaver;

(7) Fresh-water turtles;

(8) Poisonous snakes;

(9) Frogs;

(10) Spring lizards;

(11) Fiddler crabs;

(12) Fresh-water crayfish;

(13) Fresh-water mussels; and

(14) Nutria.

(b) The nongame species enumerated in subsection (a) of this Code section may be taken by any method except those specifically prohibited by law or regulation.

(c) Nothing in this Code section shall be construed to authorize the taking of any species which is protected under the federal Endangered Species Act of 1973, P.L. 93-205, as amended, or under any state law which has as its purpose the protection of endangered or threatened species.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Could you post a picture now or ever of a beaver killed Hemlock in a Native trout stream. Not likely, there isn’t but a few Native trout water streams left here in North Georgia and Beaver have been far removed from anywhere near them.
Please don’t post a picture of your favorite soap head hole.
I've seen a few here on native waters. Beavers don't much like hemlocks, though, and plus, the wooley adelgids have already killed 90% of the hemlocks.

Heath

I've seen a few here on native waters. Beavers don't much like hemlocks, though, and plus, the wooley adelgids have already killed 90% of the hemlocks.

That’s what I’m getting at. More power to them. But they ain’t trapping many native trout waters for beaver as there aren’t gonna be many places that exists. Even fewer beaver killed Hemlocks. I’ll give anyone $100 bill if they can post 3 beaver killed Hemlocks in North Georgia native trout streams.

I’ll give anyone $100 bill if they can post 3 beaver killed Hemlocks in North Georgia native trout streams.

@Heath

Which list of native trout streams are we using? With a link if you have it.

And do you mail me the $100 or do we meet up somewhere?

edited to add photo.

To be fair, these trees aren't dead yet - but they might as well be.

We'll just have to be on the honor system for location - if this stream isn't on your list I'll go find hemlocks on a stream that is. Not all beavers are the picky choosy eaters y'all think they are. And there are lots of pockets of healthy hemlocks, usually on or adjacent to private land, but there are some areas on public land that are doing okay due to one type of intervention or another.

Beaver Hemlocks (2).jpg

Last edited:

Fresh water turtles has changed. I was involved in the stake holders group that changed that. We basically got screwed by the Sierra Club.
No more than ten per day on a fishing license. No other trapping allowed unless in conjunction with a brood stock permit issued for the stocking of private turtle farms.
NWCOs may still take unlimited numbers provided they are held no more than 72 hours and released within the same watershed. This was my part in it.

Doug B.

@Heath

Which list of native trout streams are we using? With a link if you have it.

And do you mail me the $100 or do we meet up somewhere?

edited to add photo.

To be fair, these trees aren't dead yet - but they might as well be.

We'll just have to be on the honor system for location - if this stream isn't on your list I'll go find hemlocks on a stream that is. Not all beavers are the picky choosy eaters y'all think they are. And there are lots of pockets of healthy hemlocks, usually on or adjacent to private land, but there are some areas on public land that are doing okay due to one type of intervention or another.

View attachment 1096567
Well there you go! Thanks for the picture!