Getting Attacked by a Coachwhip and Other Tales from the Past.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I ran across this article in the local paper published in 1935 about a man getting attacked by a coachwhip snake. I had to grin and then I got to wondering about other tales from times past that might be entertaining to us today.

50830661_1558275584275797_671337614959181824_n.jpg

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
There's them terrible terrapins that grab aholt and won't let go till it thunders.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
My Dad used to tell about some sort of snake he hit with a rock when he was a young'un. Said it split in half, then the two halves worked back together and slithered away. I had forgotten all about that story till I read this article.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
My Dad used to tell about some sort of snake he hit with a rock when he was a young'un. Said it split in half, then the two halves worked back together and slithered away. I had forgotten all about that story till I read this article.

I've heard that one. I worked with a feller that actually believed it, swore by it.

Can't for the life of me remember what he called that particular snake.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
One that I actually saw with my own eyes, but too this day I'm not sure if it was actually the cause.

The idea that a Bull will charge if you are wearing red.

Years ago when we were kids/teens a whole bunch of us, brothers and a quite a few cousins, had been playing down on the creek and River adjoining our PaPaws' pastures. We were on our way home just cutting through several pastures.

When we got to the one where the cows were we were all warning one of our teen cousins that PaPaw's ol Bull 'Rollo' was going to come after him for wearing that bright red T shirt when we got in there with him.

We were really just poking at him and trying to scare him, but sho nuff Rollo keyed in on him and went after him out of about 6-7 of us.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I will admit we kind of taunted Rollo,:bounce: but he keyed on that red shirt.

oldguy

I've heard that one. I worked with a feller that actually believed it, swore by it.

Can't for the life of me remember what he called that particular snake.
Joint snake!
When we were kids we busted one up and sat for hours waiting for the magical reunion...
Had a fellar from that same area of the State (Hall Co.) tell me one time about being with his Grand Pa and saw "whip snake/hoop snake" roll down a hill with its tail in its mouth. Stuck its tail stinger in a tree and the tree died. I said "I guess you believe in the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny too." Fellar got MAD! I don't tell folks what they don't see any more - panthers, Sasquatch, snakes with stingers in their tails, etc., etc. They're all out there. You just got to be in the right place at the right time I reckon.

Cmp1

BANNED
I ran across this article in the local paper published in 1935 about a man getting attacked by a coachwhip snake. I had to grin and then I got to wondering about other tales from times past that might be entertaining to us today.

50830661_1558275584275797_671337614959181824_n.jpg
Have never heard of this snake,,,,interesting,,,,

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Joint snake!
When we were kids we busted one up and sat for hours waiting for the magical reunion...
Had a fellar from that same area of the State (Hall Co.) tell me one time about being with his Grand Pa and saw "whip snake/hoop snake" roll down a hill with its tail in its mouth. Stuck its tail stinger in a tree and the tree died. I said "I guess you believe in the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny too." Fellar got MAD! I don't tell folks what they don't see any more - panthers, Sasquatch, snakes with stingers in their tails, etc., etc. They're all out there. You just got to be in the right place at the right time I reckon.

If a hoop snake with a stinger in its tail, stuck a Bigfeets with it's stinger, would Nic have to eat a black panther when it thundered and the turtle turned loose?

oldguy

Forgot to mention that the snake in question is really the glass lizard (Ophisaurus ventralis). The tail is segmented and when they twist in your hands or are struck by a stick, or grabbed by a predator they simply break apart/release a segment which will later regrow.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have seen lizards that will do that. Especially the little blue tailed skinks we have around here. My mom use to tell us that the blue tailed lizards were poison, and we had to leave them alone.

Lord, we use to catch them by the bucketfuls

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Joint snake!

That's it I remember folks talkin about that Hoop snake too, rollin about 20mph. :rofl:

oops1

Buzzard Expert
I work with a good ol boy black fella who told me snakes chase pregnant women because they smell their milk. Said one chased his cousin into her house and was outside bammin on the door to get in.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I work with a good ol boy black fella who told me snakes chase pregnant women because they smell their milk. Said one chased his cousin into her house and was outside bammin on the door to get in.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'd like to met that feller, bet he's keep me doubled over in laughter.

oldguy

A friend and I used to keep a room full of snakes at ABAC, so we were privy to all kinds of snake information. One guy told us his Granddaddy had a snake that would come to the milking barn and his GD would squirt milk right into the snake's open mouth. That was first experience with trying to tell somebody that wasn't true. He got MAD too!
You know spreading adders and scorpions (broad headed skinks) are "pison" too right?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would imagine the whelps on his legs was from some other thing switching them besides a coachwhip snake.
I was just wondering what he actually got into that he made that load of crap up to cover for. :bounce: