Go pro advice

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Wife’s birthday is coming up and I want to get her a go pro type camera. Gotta be water proof and since it’s for her, I’ll cry once. She loves to hike and kayak and that’s gonna be where it’s used mostly. She currently has her cell phone in a dry sleeve thing, and I want her to have something nice that can go under water too.
Btw-this will be our first go pro type purchase so a kit may be in order.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
@bfriendly I've never owned a Go Pro, but have considered getting one many times for deer hunting and outdoors stuff. Whichever ones you are interested in, check YouTube for review videos, which can give you an idea of how great the quality of video it takes.

Best of luck with your decision.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Starting with the Hero 8 (they're on the Hero 10 now), I believe all GoPros are waterproof, but I'd still feel good getting a waterproof, protective case, which are typically $50 or so. Those usually come with a very good suction mount, but I'm sure there are other ways of securely mounting them.

My brother had an older one (hero 4?) that did very well, until he left it in his car and let it get too hot, that is. Before that, he used it on his motorcycle a good bit (with nothing more than the suction mount, as I remember). Even put it underwater (inside the case) and tried to film the fishes.

My work bought a GoPro Hero 8 years back for some aerial imagery stuff and it did really well. The stabilization feature was very effective as well. I think that is the first model made with 4K video capability. I can only imagine that the current-generation GoPro will be of similar quality... Make sure you only use micro-SD cards that can handle the high write speed associated with the high resolution. Both of the GoPros I used seemed to have a fairly simple interface.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Thanks you guys. I’ve been checking reviews and am considering a Garmin unit now too. That seems kind of crazy to me as GoPro has gained that name of all things video recorder……like any soda is a Coke kinda of thing. Main reason was some feedback on moving and editing videos so they can be shared. Without first hand knowledge, it’s my understanding the latest and greatest GoPros require an app and membership. Whereas the Garmin units are more user friendly and don’t require a paid subscription…….like earlier versions of the GoPro.
Does anyone have any experience with that?