Gobbler on the roost...

Staygold

If he's gobbling on the roost, do you call before he flies off? Or wait until he's on the ground to try to get him coming your way?

Core Lokt

Do what real turkeys (hens) do. At time to fly down give some tree yelps then a fly down cackle. Hit him with a few yelps to let him know you are there. He will more than likely pitch out of the tree then if he's not already down. Hens don't yelp on the limb in the dark.

hrstille

Hens do yelp on the limb before daylight. Not often but they do from time to time. Don't start calling when its pitch black. Wait until you see some light breaking. Call very soft. Just enough to let him know you are there. Some SOFT clucks and yelps. If he answers/cuts you off, stop calling, he knows you are there. I personally don't mess with a fly down cackle. Biggest thing is not to pressure him to much while he's on the limb. All you need to do is softly let him know you are there.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I give a couple tree yelps before he pitches down and I wait to see what he's gonna do after he lands. Then the game begins!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Time will teach you what to do, every senario may be different.

My favorite hunt goes like this.....I hear him gobble from the roost at dusk, so the next mornin I know where I want to go to talk with him. At daybreak I like to let the crows/nature make him start gobbling on his own. I may make some soft tree yelps. When he's interested in me...and it's light enough for me to shoot...I like to fly down cackle and flap my hat on the leaves. I hope that he thinks I'm down and I'm ready and I hope he wants to be the 1st one to me and get there as fast as he can gobbling on the way! That's my favorite senario but truth is it don't happen often.

When talking to a gobbling bird on the roost...number one most important thing to remember and play on is that he is gobbling to assemble. If he's answering your calls it's because he wants to assemble you. Maybe....the more you talk back....the more you're telling him your coming!

I like to think a bird on the morning roost that aint gobbling a whole lot is probably already surrounded by plenty of hens. I think the daybreak bird that's gobbling his head off at every sound in the woods is very lonely and is desperate to assemble some company.

Good luck man!!!!!!!!

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
If I get inside of 100 yds I usually won't make a call until he's on the ground. It doesn't sound normal for a turkey to be making tree yelps from the ground. Know where he's going after flydown is your best bet. If your already there a couple yelps when he's on the ground should work but not always

nick_o_demus

Time will teach you what to do, every senario may be different.

My favorite hunt goes like this.....I hear him gobble from the roost at dusk, so the next mornin I know where I want to go to talk with him. At daybreak I like to let the crows/nature make him start gobbling on his own. I may make some soft tree yelps. When he's interested in me...and it's light enough for me to shoot...I like to fly down cackle and flap my hat on the leaves. I hope that he thinks I'm down and I'm ready and I hope he wants to be the 1st one to me and get there as fast as he can gobbling on the way! That's my favorite senario but truth is it don't happen often.

When talking to a gobbling bird on the roost...number one most important thing to remember and play on is that he is gobbling to assemble. If he's answering your calls it's because he wants to assemble you. Maybe....the more you talk back....the more you're telling him your coming!

I like to think a bird on the morning roost that aint gobbling a whole lot is probably already surrounded by plenty of hens. I think the daybreak bird that's gobbling his head off at every sound in the woods is very lonely and is desperate to assemble some company.

Good luck man!!!!!!!!

^ Well said...