Golf cart refrub

paulito

New to the carting world but wanted a project to play around on with the boy. Have what i believe is a 94 Ezgo 36 volt junker. Put new set of batteries in her and she runs. However, at times it will shut off. Typical when you put the peddle to the floor. Was thinking it was the solenoid so i replaced that. The issue still remains. I can drive around 1/2 or 3/4 speed no problems but if it goes full out for a bit it tends to want to shut off. Let off the peddle and press again and off she goes. Any thoughts of where to start looking for probable culprits.

Again, new to this world and not looking to build a suped up off roading mud cart. just something plain jane simple for deer camp and around the hood. Thanks for any help.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like the controller to me. If you find that to be the problem you may want to consider buying a higher amp controller than you have. Then if you do add big wheels and a heavy duty motor later you won’t have to get one then

transfixer

New to the carting world but wanted a project to play around on with the boy. Have what i believe is a 94 Ezgo 36 volt junker. Put new set of batteries in her and she runs. However, at times it will shut off. Typical when you put the peddle to the floor. Was thinking it was the solenoid so i replaced that. The issue still remains. I can drive around 1/2 or 3/4 speed no problems but if it goes full out for a bit it tends to want to shut off. Let off the peddle and press again and off she goes. Any thoughts of where to start looking for probable culprits.

Again, new to this world and not looking to build a suped up off roading mud cart. just something plain jane simple for deer camp and around the hood. Thanks for any help.

Look up the site Buggiesgonewild , register there and scroll through the EZGO electric cart section, there are diagnostic charts and tests posted there that will help, and you can always post a question to the EZGO electric forum, lots of knowledgeable guys over there that know those carts quite well, I know a little bit about the late 90's ezgo's, but that one is different, different controller, there is a pedal switch in a box under your floormat, just in front of your accellerator pedal, you might open it up and make sure it isn't full of moisture, although I don't think that could cause your problem, if it ends up being the controller, I " might " have one I pulled off of a cart, I bought a cart someone had put the wrong controller on, and I believe it was for an early 90's Ezgo marathon, which is what yours probably is ? I'd have to look and see if I still have it.

paulito

Any way to test to see if it's the cocontrollerif I upgrade the controller does that mean I have to upgrade other stuff as well as a result?

baddave

there is a little micro switch on your v-glide .. it is simple and easy to check .. just start out by pulling the 2 batts. on the driver side out and possibly the next 2.when you look @ contacts on v-glide if one is burnt then there ya go but if not, check that micro switch .. betcha

transfixer

Any way to test to see if it's the cocontrollerif I upgrade the controller does that mean I have to upgrade other stuff as well as a result?

There are diag charts on that site that will tell you how to test it..depending on whether you have a marathon or medalist cart..they had both in 94.. all the info you need can be found on buggiesgonewild

baddave

after you've been running for a while pu the seat and carefully feel for hot spots . be careful . that can sometimes lead to the problem.. i've got a very similar cart and i've been all over it . if you need help holler

paulito

Thanks man. I love "projects". Got a river hawk that if redid a bad transom and totally refurbed and have been duck hunting out of.

Unfortunately, me and electricity are no pals. I just dont have a good understanding of it but tinker. This cart is rough but would rather bring one back to life, and save a few bucks, than spend big bucks on a newer one. Like to make things "unique" to me. Ha.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Our cart was doing that. The speed magnet was cracked. Fairly cheap fix, but a bit of a bigger to replace.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately, me and electricity are no pals. I just dont have a good understanding of it but tinker. This cart is rough but would rather bring one back to life, and save a few bucks, than spend big bucks on a newer one. Like to make things "unique" to me. Ha.
I'm certainly no mechanic or electrician, but I replaced the magnet. Pretty simple, if that's your problem.

transfixer

Thanks man. I love "projects". Got a river hawk that if redid a bad transom and totally refurbed and have been duck hunting out of.

They aren't that difficult to figure out, sometimes the hardest part is figuring out which system you have, ezgo changed some things in 94, some models are referred to as 94.5 models, a 94 may use a different accellerator switch than a 94.5, as Badave mentioned if yours has a v-glide accellerator that may be the problem, but that would be the early version, sometime in 94 they went to an ITS accellerator switch, which is under the floorboard. Before you get too far into trying to figure it out, check all the connections on the big cables, all the way from the controller to the motor, loose connections can cause all sorts of weird issues, and if you have a cable hot to the touch after running the cart a while, then you either have a bad connection, bad cable, or the cable is too small.

paulito

i was wondering about that in 94. Mine says its a PC4X if that means anythings. I plan on checking all the connections. have not torn into it too much just yet. its exciting to have a project. thanks for the info guys.