Good Day on the Nearshore Reefs - 05/16

Capt. Richie Lott

Left Hickory Bluff @ 8 AM to beautiful weather and a superb morning shaping up.... Until... We hit the 5 mile mark! It was about as rough as you could stand it.. and then some! It was a good 3-4 with a 5 mixed in on my starboard quarter. The seas were about 4-5 seconds apart, so we saw lots of green water over the bow and many times it cleared the t-top and showered...As usual, NOAA lied! :mad:

Anyhow, it was worth the ride. We had about 175 fiddler crabs already gathered, so we made the decision to finally sheepshead fish one more time before the reefs get covered with grunts and ringtails to the point you can't fish.

We fished a solid 4-hours, went through EVERY single crab and had a nice mess of fish. The sheepies weren't as big as last trip, but we probably kept about 20 (caught many more), kept several very nice grey triggers and a couple of nice sea bass, few short grouper and mixed big of others. Saw one Cobia and the big spades were there, but not feeding...

Overall, an excellent day and a very good fish bite despite rough sea conditions...We missed or lost over 50 fish I counted due to the sea condition. Makes it HARD to feel a sheepshead in 3-4's....

Capt. Andy is headed out to the same area tomorrow, so we'll have another report from that trip shortly.

Happy Sunday to all! :cool:

Last edited:

Capt. Richie Lott

Andy better have dramamine on board....and a snorkel

Yeah, he better....! :rofl:

It aint gonna be pretty again tomorrow, but those fish are there.... I would imagine he will try to ease on out there.

Good thing is, it's only about 11 miles straight of SSI....

Last edited:

Curly

Yeah it was real snotty out there. Laid down at the stream around 12. Had 10 phins and a sore crew. Will up load pics tomorrow time to crash and burn. Head and body is still spinning.

Last edited:

razor1

Sounds like it was worth it.............Sheepies are great fun and mighty tasty....................EJ