Good men, dealing with it.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
These Metro PD heroes are working their way through the unthinkable.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Makes me wonder how in the World could so many in society, Corporate and business, and the Democrat party support this abomination of nature?

It boggles the mind and I will never except it on any level.

oldfella1962

So why can't these cops train the Uvalde Texas cops? :huh:
I'm not a cop but I'm going out on a limb here any saying there seems to be zero standardization in law enforcement hiring/training/tactics in America.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I'm not a cop but I'm going out on a limb here any saying there seems to be zero standardization in law enforcement hiring/training/tactics in America.

Stark difference in Uvalde and Nashville response......

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
It’s all politics, what will the governing agency fund. In the case of Uvalde, a school district.

oldfella1962

Stark difference in Uvalde and Nashville response......
Completely different mindset. That's why I'm wondering why there's not much standardization to help identify & correct deficiencies.

Toliver

There is absolutely no standardized Policing model. In Georgia the police academy is about 10 weeks long. You learn everything you could possibly need to know in that time and hit the street as a cop.

oldfella1962

There is absolutely no standardized Policing model. In Georgia the police academy is about 10 weeks long. You learn everything you could possibly need to know in that time and hit the street as a cop.
Kind of like military basic then. You learn enough to function and get on the path to learning the more advanced stuff that takes years to master. As far as "everything you could possibly need to know" I would think that journey never ends no matter what career you choose.

Toliver

Kind of like military basic then. You learn enough to function and get on the path to learning the more advanced stuff that takes years to master. As far as "everything you could possibly need to know" I would think that journey never ends no matter what career you choose.
That was me being facetious. Many smaller departments can't afford advanced training nor do they have the manpower to lose someone for several days away for training so for way too many, that 10 weeks plus the state required 20 hours a year is all they get. And a lot of that 20 hours is the same thing each year mandated by P.O.S.T. De-escalation, community oriented Policing and I think they just added one more. They can be done on line through GPSTC and you can almost complete them in your sleep. In fact, some don't even have tests at the end. The "test" is one question... did you complete this? You answer yes and move on. With everything cops are expected to be, you have some that just can't be all those things when they don't get training. OJT doesn't work on a hot call on your first time.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
These fellas did the job exceptionally well.

That’s said, police need more training. They should train 20% of the time to eliminate mistakes like Uvalde.

Folks will say, then only 80% of the force will be available.. To that I say, do you want 8 well trained officers responding, or 10 untrained officers responding?..?..

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Ideally follow the rules of 3...

1 set training
1 set off/vacation/backfill
1 set working

Ideal yes, but budget, resource and manpower constraints wouldn't allow it.

The state could do a Mobile Training Team to travel and do said Training, all about manpower, money and expectations

oldfella1962

That was me being facetious. Many smaller departments can't afford advanced training nor do they have the manpower to lose someone for several days away for training so for way too many, that 10 weeks plus the state required 20 hours a year is all they get. And a lot of that 20 hours is the same thing each year mandated by P.O.S.T. De-escalation, community oriented Policing and I think they just added one more. They can be done on line through GPSTC and you can almost complete them in your sleep. In fact, some don't even have tests at the end. The "test" is one question... did you complete this? You answer yes and move on. With everything cops are expected to be, you have some that just can't be all those things when they don't get training. OJT doesn't work on a hot call on your first time.
Wow that's scary! Cops everywhere have to deal with constantly evolving threats, weaponry, and you name it. If the training isn't evolving along with the threats & legal complications and so forth, they are at a huge disadvantage. They will end up like a military force that is prepping & training (or worse yet fighting) for the last war instead of the current or future wars. :( Factor in a media that denigrates you & monitors your every move, and that's a recipe for tragedy.