Good Weekend in the Smokies

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A good friend of mine from SC came up to spend the weekend and do some fly fishing. He puts me on bass, catfish, crappie, and deer down there; so I try to put him on some wild trout and smallmouth up here.

Friday morning was dark, foggy, and drizzly. We headed way back in the mountains to try to find some specks. Started on this little creek at about 4200' and headed up. Sorry for the pic quality, but it was dark as a dungeon up in that gorge under the fog and drizzle.

1creek1 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

The streamside vegetation mostly consisted of these lovely head-high stinging nettles that feel like a swarm of yallerjackets hitting you when you touch one:

1nettles1 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

1nettles2 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

The going was rough, with lots of boulder hopping and fallen logs, but specks were plentiful and came to hand from almost every hole:

1speck1 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

1speck2 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

1speck3 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

1speck4 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

1speck5 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

Not surprisingly even this high up, we caught a few of these, too:

1bow2 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

This one looks like it had a run-in with the friendly neighborhood otter. Check out the tooth marks, They matched on both sides. Lucky little guy:

1bow1 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

Needs more rhododendron:

1creek2 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

1creek3 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

We finally arrived at the head of navigation. Just above here, the creek forked into two tiny branches that you could have soaked up with a good dry towel.

1creek4 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

The fish were starting to look like this:

1tinyspeck by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

So we turned around and made the rough climb back out.

We still had a few hours of daylight, so after recuperating our fat selves from the climb with a cold beer or three, we traveled a few miles and hiked into the lower reaches of the same stream. Not as steep and rough, and a good bit more water; but still full of blowdowns and rock ledges at intervals. Beds of bee balm were blooming, and the hillsides were covered with flowering rosebay rhododendron:

1-2creek1 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

1beebalm by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

1rosebay by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

Still plenty of good specks:

1-2speck2 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

1-2speck1 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

Of course, these were much more plentiful on the lower reaches:

1-2bow1 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

And we also picked up a few of these:

1-2brown1 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

1-2brown2 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

Fishing was good, but light was fading. So, reluctantly and tiredly, but happy, we hiked back to the truck, moving about like this guy:

1-2snail by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

Back home, we devoured some home rolled sushi, ribeyes, baked taters, and a beer or six; and slept the sleep of the righteous.

And the morning and the evening were the first day

Bream Pole

Thanks. Great pics and well done post. I enjoyed it very much especially since my 74 year old bod can't do that anymore and have to live a life of vicarious trout fishing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Day Two

Saturday morning we headed out early to a different watershed in a different corner of the GSMNP.

2creek1 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

2creek2 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

2creek3 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

Fishing was a little slower than yesterday; but between frequent showers, we caught a pretty good selection of mixed trouts:

2bow2 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

2bow1 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

2speck1 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

2speck2 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

2speck3 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

2speck4 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

2brown by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

Cool stuff seen along the way:

2butterfle by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

2crawfish by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

2mushrooms by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

Finally, we were a good ways from the trailhead when the sky opened up in a Biblical manner. This is an accidental photo I took while I was trying to stuff my camera into my pack, but it conveys the situation quite well.

2rain by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

By the time we got back to the truck, we couldn't have gotten any wetter if we had jumped in the creek. It obviously was set in for the afternoon, so we called it an early day and retreated home to smoke some pork tenderloins and sweet taters and fry some green maters and squash and drink a beer or twelve.

And the morning and the evening were the second day.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Day Three

Sunday morning, we had a couple hours before my buddy had to head out, so we decided to hit the river behind the house and see if we could round up a smallmouth. The water was a little high, but not too discolored.
3river1 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

3river2 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

The fish weren't hitting like usual, but we had a few forward casts that didn't come back. I sight-casted to a huge carp a couple times, but managed to spook it.

3smallie1 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

3smallie2 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

3smallie3 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

3redbreast by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

3hornyhead by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

After about an hour, heavy rain upstream made the river start rising fast, and it turned the color of creamed coffee. The fish stopped hitting like you had flipped a switch.

3river3 by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

Time to hike back out, and call an end to a fine weekend that didn't last nearly long enough.

3rock by Yaller Hammer, on Flickr

FIN.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
That looks like a fine way to spend a weekend. What feather did you use for that yallerhammer?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

transfixer

I'm jealous ! I've always loved the mountains of N.Ga and Tn, spent many a weekend in my late teens through my early 30's up there, then life kinda got in the way, I'd up and move up there somewhere if it weren't for this little thing called "making a living" You are living the dream up there NCHillbilly ! at least my dream anyway,,,,

whitetailfreak

Looks like a good trip. We've got a Decoration on Chambers Creek Sunday so I'm gonna hit a few park streams on Sun eve/Mon.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Man that is awesome Hillbilly! Love that lil split cane too. Cool rod.

The mtn man

I'm itching to get back over your way, that is if I could get my side kick to go.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm itching to get back over your way, that is if I could get my side kick to go.

Any time! It's not too hard to talk me into going fishing.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Beautiful fishing and photography. Love bee balm tea. Used to make it for my son. Monarda didyma. Hummers love it, too. Gil

Buckman18

Good stuff! :fine:

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Before I knew it was illegal, I had rolled up a box full of YH's made from a road kill flicker. I used the skinny side of a flight feather, stripped off, and the body was dyed green seal fur. That was over 4 decades ago and I think the statute of limitations has run.... ;) It worked.

jeardley

Thanks for the report/pics. You just lit a fire in by britches to get up there. Haven't been to the mountains fishing in 2 years now and it used to be a regular adventure for me. Love the fresh clean air.

Out of curiosity nchillbilly, have you ever ate any of those stinging nettles? They have been high on my list to try one of theses days.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the report/pics. You just lit a fire in by britches to get up there. Haven't been to the mountains fishing in 2 years now and it used to be a regular adventure for me. Love the fresh clean air.

Out of curiosity nchillbilly, have you ever ate any of those stinging nettles? They have been high on my list to try one of theses days.

Those aren't the same type of stinging nettle we have around here. It's shorter plant with white flowers and different shape of leaf. My daughter brought me a jar of stinging nettle pesto sauce and it was fine eating. She used new growth leaves to make it.
I learn something new every day: "Bull nettle" is what we have:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_plant#/media/File:Cnidoscolus_urens_var._stimulosus.jpg

Yes, I've eaten them. I'm not crazy about greens, but they are one of the better ones. My mom and grandma were always avid wild green gatherers, and stinging nettles are one of my mom's favorites. They are supposed to be very nutritious and high in vitamin C, and also have medicinal properties.

They will also eat you alive. The wood nettles get up over head high sometimes, and will sting you right through your clothes. A big rank one feels like multiple bee stings.

The one we have here back in the mountains (the one in the photos,) is wood nettle Laportea canadensis. Down at lower elevations you find common stinging nettle, Urtica dioica. They are fairly interchangeable for edible and medicinal usage.