Got a Ga. turkey survey call today

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I've never done a survey, like most have already stated I don't answer my phone either.

Just thinking out loud because I'm no expert but I like to think about it. I wonder if delaying the opener would even INCREASE the harvest of gobblers?

Just my 2 cents is I think prime time for gobblers of a broader variety of ages and flock status to come to a turkey callers set up is early to late April.
I think a lot of hunters are successful opening week on younger and lonelier gobblers. Also opening week there are some hunters who get some serious big ol Toms!!
I think when April is in and hens require Toms less and less, I think many hunters have called it quits and many gobblers are call shy/hunter cautious.
If opening week was early April I wonder if opening week harvest numbers would dwarf the numbers of opening week late March?

Just a thought, like I said I don't know nuthin. Most times I don't like to argue or be slammed on here, I just like to read your thoughts and give mine and maybe understand something. That's why I'm stressing that I don't know for fact and this is just my 2 cents. I think without hearing someones voice and watching their body language it's easy to read and think someone is trying to "this is what I say and this is what it is and everyone else is wrong". Just want y'all to know that's not how I'm writing.

six

Sea Trout, I think along the same lines as you on this. I don't know if the actual kill numbers would be more, but I'm betting more would be called to their demise. I say this only because I know a few people who kill opening weekend because they have the birds patterned and or baited. Once that first opportunity is fulfilled, these same people struggle after that. But I guess these people would just delay their ambush a week.

Timber1

BANNED
Most turkey hunters and the turkeys themselves know that prime turkey killing time is when the Dogwoods bloom. If the dnr biologists would spend their energies figuring out how to delay the flowering of Dogwoods until after May 15 their problems would all be solved. If that proves too difficult for them then they should concentrate on how to make the wind blow 15+ mph every day during the month of April. Preferably out of the East.

Mark K

Banned
Most turkey hunters and the turkeys themselves know that prime turkey killing time is when the Dogwoods bloom. If the dnr biologists would spend their energies figuring out how to delay the flowering of Dogwoods until after May 15 their problems would all be solved. If that proves too difficult for them then they should concentrate on how to make the wind blow 15+ mph every day during the month of April. Preferably out of the East.
This is true. My excitement level for turkeys rises to a whole new level when I start seeing them bloom! That’s when you go ahead a take a few days off to take care of business.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
2017 I think they were blooming opening weekend. lol. Google Earth was lit up on March 30th satellite photo.