Got a gun today I have been wanting for a loooong time

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
20" AR almost identical to the one I carried in the Army 35 years ago. My GI issue one had the solid carrying handle and this one has the detachable one (A3) and is semi with no 3 round burst. Close enough for me since these are rare as Hens teeth...and the icing on the cake?
IT's A COLT! Just like the GI one I carried.

I am still tinkled pink to find one NIB. I like to have broke my arm getting my wallet out to buy it.

Colt.jpg

Jim Boyd

Congrats.

Looks like the twin of the one I carried 48 years ago.

Very happy for you.

GeorgiaBob

I remember in Jr ROTC I spent 4 weeks in a "mini boot camp" at Fort Polk, LA summer of 1970. The Army was using their usual drill instructors for the mini camp and these guys were having fun trying to teach kids who really wanted to be there instead of their usual crop of sullen draftees. As a lefty, they saw immediately that I couldn't use the assigned M-16 and handed me a Colt. Something about the deflector on the ejection port of Colt carbines that sent the shall casing out and up instead of straight into my face.

Those things were fun to shoot and I found them reasonably accurate. I grew up shooting rifles chambered for 30.06 so the lack of recoil was strange. Once I got used to the Colt M-16, I thought they were as accurate as any rifle out to 200 yards, but past that the M-16 sucked wind. I couldn't group a 400 yard target any better that 15" and I had been shooting 2" groupings with a Springfield model1903 at 400 yards since I was 10yo. Honestly, I thought the M-16 was better overall than the M-14 that they also used in training (though the 7.62 M-14 was good for 4" groups at 400 yards).

Glad you found a fine relic of our ancient days.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Nice ! Congratulations

rosewood

I have had one of those since about 2000. Bought it before ARs were cool and only Colt and maybe Bushmaster were making them then. Mine is the HBAR 1:7 twist, but came without the flash hider. It shoots 75 Grain BTHPs the best. I once fired 3 shots that looked like a fat hole. Thought I missed until I inspected target. It rountinely shoots 1/2MOA with the 75s over RL15. Never would shoot 55grains better than about 1.25MOA.

Thanks for your service.

Rosewood

Reactions: Dub

rosewood

Oh no! It’s one of them evil AR’s! You don’t need that to kill a deer!

?
Nope and they don't need 20 pairs of shoes or a BMW, but they do. :)

Because we have a Constitution. :)

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
Nice Rifle
I saw they reintroduced the M16A1 Reissue with a price tag around $2500.
the older A1/A2 were kinda nice rifles... all replaced by the M4 now
I had one of those style uppers on a 6.8SPC that I had for a short period. It had the A1 style rear sight.