Great windy day

Big7

The Oracle
Indeed..God is good.

Windy days Turkey hunting are the most difficult IMO.. Even more challenging than rain.?

CONGRATULATIONS on your bird !!!

strothershwacker

Tell us the story, man!
Went to plan "A" bout an hour & a half before daylight only to find a guy already there. He was still in his truck but he was there. So I caught 2nd gear and went to plan "B". Problem was that plan "B" was a pretty good ways off and it was way up high. Knowing it was supposed to be windy I was having trouble with moving on from my low holler I had cornered. Thinking to myself as my lil' truck bounced up the ruff mountain road "glad I brought this hoody, I'm gonna need it."
Arriving at plan"B" much later than I prefer, I jumped out of the truck and took off in a jog with ol' Chester swingin' in my hand. It was breaking daylight fast and I knew I wasn't gonna make it for fly down so I just slowed down. After all I wasn't gonna be able to hear a gobble in this wind anyway. Sneaking into my spot after daylight with my headnet on in full stalk mode I made it to the tree I had in mind.
As I was getting situated I heard ever so faintly a hen clucking down below me. I began to scratch in the leaves very hard between the powerful gust. It worked. She responded with a soft yelp. By this time honestly I was just glad to be in the game. Answering her back with a gentle yelp of my own was responded by a 100 mile an hour gust! Then hearing her again a lil' more to my left (this whole time I'm betting the farm the Tom I'm after is probably right behind her in full strut) I gave her the mad hen cutts. Nothing. Looking at the slight rise to my left I think I need to be up there. It's only bout 20 yards. With this wind howling surely I won't get busted. Standing up, ducking down I slip bout 10' feet from my tree, and something catches my eye, stopping in a dead freeze looking just to the left of where I was planning to sit, there he comes straight to me. He's coming quick and arrow straight! He wasn't with her yet! And from where he's coming from he probly couldn't hear her but thought I was her. Hehehe. Problem is I'm standing there without so much as a stump to hide with. He's closing the distance. His head goes behind a tree, I shoulder Chester. At bout 45 yards he stops dead still and begins to study this 6 & half foot stump standing there that he don't remember seeing the day before. So I clear his mind of all those thoughts with a Remington Nitro #5. God is good.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Went to plan "A" bout an hour & a half before daylight only to find a guy already there. He was still in his truck but he was there. So I caught 2nd gear and went to plan "B". Problem was that plan "B" was a pretty good ways off and it was way up high. Knowing it was supposed to be windy I was having trouble with moving on from my low holler I had cornered. Thinking to myself as my lil' truck bounced up the ruff mountain road "glad I brought this hoody, I'm gonna need it."
Arriving at plan"B" much later than I prefer, I jumped out of the truck and took off in a jog with ol' Chester swingin' in my hand. It was breaking daylight fast and I knew I wasn't gonna make it for fly down so I just slowed down. After all I wasn't gonna be able to hear a gobble in this wind anyway. Sneaking into my spot after daylight with my headnet on in full stalk mode I made it to the tree I had in mind.
As I was getting situated I heard ever so faintly a hen clucking down below me. I began to scratch in the leaves very hard between the powerful gust. It worked. She responded with a soft yelp. By this time honestly I was just glad to be in the game. Answering her back with a gentle yelp of my own was responded by a 100 mile an hour gust! Then hearing her again a lil' more to my left (this whole time I'm betting the farm the Tom I'm after is probably right behind her in full strut) I gave her the mad hen cutts. Nothing. Looking at the slight rise to my left I think I need to be up there. It's only bout 20 yards. With this wind howling surely I won't get busted. Standing up, ducking down I slip bout 10' feet from my tree, and something catches my eye, stopping in a dead freeze looking just to the left of where I was planning to sit, there he comes straight to me. He's coming quick and arrow straight! He wasn't with her yet! And from where he's coming from he probly couldn't hear her but thought I was her. Hehehe. Problem is I'm standing there without so much as a stump to hide with. He's closing the distance. His head goes behind a tree, I shoulder Chester. At bout 45 yards he stops dead still and begins to study this 6 & half foot stump standing there that he don't remember seeing the day before. So I clear his mind of all those thoughts with a Remington Nitro #5. God is good.
Now, that's more like it!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great story, and congrats on a fine bird under tough conditions. It would have been scary just being out in the woods here yesterday with limbs flying and widowmakers falling out of treetops.

Twiggbuster

That’s a really nice bird.
I bet hunting them in the mountains is awesome!

Speaking of widow makers, I unknowingly was standing next to a big dead pine trying to figure a way around a huge gully. Wind got strong and I heard that cracking sound way up there and looked to see my predicament.
My heart was pumping so hard I had to walk away and sit down. Thanked Jesus for protecting me from serious injury. Flashes of folks trying to find me was haunting.
Be careful out there boys and girls!

CroMagnum

Lol...cleared his mind... hilarious!