Ground hog climbed tree!

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Back when I was a kid, dad brought a baby one about the size of a 3 or 4 week old cat from the job site. He was bound and determined to have a pet whistle pig. This was the 80's yall and there were a lot of Miller Pony's involved. :bounce:

A few weeks later the garden was coming in and dad would feed it green beans and about anything else from the garden. He was showing the thing off to a few buddies using green beans one night and it bit the end of his finger off (not a lot but enough to need many stitches and a forever scar). :rofl:

We didn't have insurance and he was refusing to go but we eventually got there. He turned out to be a great father but there was some funny (stupid) stuff that happened back then.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There are a TON of em up here.
I may shoot one and clean it to see how it taste heard they are pretty good.
I really like them. Get those glands out before you cook them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Come up here and get you a truckload. They'll devour your garden lickety-split, and undermine your buildings. A groundhog in your garden has the same effect as a weedeater.
Plus dig holes/dens that break a cow or horse's leg, plus the dens are big enough to be a danger farmers on tractors because the will collapse...my buddy's Dad hit one and flipped the tractor killing him, plus the guy that let us dig them out lost his wife to the same thing.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Ain’t never seent one climb either

I have seen my old dog snatch one up and sling it around like wet towel til it tares in half

WOODIE13

They like kudzu patches round these parts
Blackberry and multiflora rose here, but will set up home in a pasture.

We hunted them with muzzleloaders once, saw Jack Tyree make a great shoot with a Hawken

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ain’t never seent one climb either

I have seen my old dog snatch one up and sling it around like wet towel til it tares in half
Let that old dog get one backed up in a corner, and there won't be none of that going on. :)

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Let that old dog get one backed up in a corner, and there won't be none of that going on. :)

Well, the dog is now ded (due to old age not groundhog attacks). I’m sure I’ve told the story on here, but I’ll tell it again.

There was a small pile of lumber under my deck. My dog had the groundhog hemmed up under the pile. I was able to get him away and brought him inside. A few hours goes by and I had forgotten about it. We go outside and that GH is sitting down in the back corner of my yard trying to find a way under/over/through my fence. 90lbs of Georgia Black Dog snatched that groundhawgy up and treated it like it owed him money. It was pretty one sided as the groundhawg wound up dead, and my old hound dog was excited to show it off. Thought my wife was gonna cry…

That dog was a stone cold killer. I watched him catch rabbits, tree chipmunks/squirrels, if the chipmunk took to ground he would spend hours digging until he got it. One time he brought a groundhawg head home. Came running acrosst the yard carryin it like a ball and dropped it at my feet for me to throwfacepalm:

WOODIE13

Well, the dog is now ded (due to old age not groundhog attacks). I’m sure I’ve told the story on here, but I’ll tell it again.

There was a small pile of lumber under my deck. My dog had the groundhog hemmed up under the pile. I was able to get him away and brought him inside. A few hours goes by and I had forgotten about it. We go outside and that GH is sitting down in the back corner of my yard trying to find a way under/over/through my fence. 90lbs of Georgia Black Dog snatched that groundhawgy up and treated it like it owed him money. It was pretty one sided as the groundhawg wound up dead, and my old hound dog was excited to show it off. Thought my wife was gonna cry…

That dog was a stone cold killer. I watched him catch rabbits, tree chipmunks/squirrels, if the chipmunk took to ground he would spend hours digging until he got it. One time he brought a groundhawg head home. Came running acrosst the yard carryin it like a ball and dropped it at my feet for me to throwfacepalm:
We had a K9 at Belvoir named Spike, they said he was a malinois but looked like a Mastiff, flappy ears and all pushing @ 120, he loved whisle pigs, snatch them by the neck and head and shake like terrier does a rat.

Cojack was a Norwegian Elk Hound, he lived to kill them too.

But ol Phil gave as good as he got

Hillbilly stalker

Plus dig holes/dens that break a cow or horse's leg, plus the dens are big enough to be a danger farmers on tractors because the will collapse...my buddy's Dad hit one and flipped the tractor killing him, plus the guy that let us dig them out lost his wife to the same thing.
We used to dig them out. Old man taught us to use a garden hose and gasoline. You push that hose down there and put it up to your ear. If he’s in there….you’ll hear him hissing. Pour you a good shot of gas down the hose, blow in it and get your ax handle ready. It gets a little western sometimes but it sure beats working a Mexican backhoe ( mattock & post hole diggers) :rofl: . A ground hog always has 2 holes so you gotta keep an eye peeled. We had an old fox walker who lived to dig then things out. He would stay all day digging and pulling roots big ad a broom handle. It takes a pretty good dog to kill one by himself.

WOODIE13

We always had 2 to 3 dogs to cover each hole, but they can dig almost as fast as us

Stroker

Shot them from the time corn and soybeans started cracking ground till the beans got to tall to see them, then moved on to pastures for summer shoots, then wheat/oat fields in the fall. Great practice for deer season. If you can kill them regularly at 2-300+ yards from the hood of your pickup a deer at that distance ain't no problem. You can also setup 10 to 20 feet behind their main hole with you favorite pistola and get ready, when they poke that head out fire away. And yes they do climb trees, and young ones are good to eat, just cook them using your favorite rabbit recipe.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We used to dig them out. Old man taught us to use a garden hose and gasoline. You push that hose down there and put it up to your ear. If he’s in there….you’ll hear him hissing. Pour you a good shot of gas down the hose, blow in it and get your ax handle ready. It gets a little western sometimes but it sure beats working a Mexican backhoe ( mattock & post hole diggers) :rofl: . A ground hog always has 2 holes so you gotta keep an eye peeled. We had an old fox walker who lived to dig then things out. He would stay all day digging and pulling roots big ad a broom handle. It takes a pretty good dog to kill one by himself.
I never dug but one out, with two of my cousins when we were teenagers. That was way to much work for a groundhog. I always found it easier to just set a #2 double longspring or 1 1/2 coilspring in the entrance to his hole. He ain't got no choice but to walk over it.

bany

Our border collie Lady treed one way back in the 1900’s. Probably the only one she ran across that lived!