Guided hunt

jdrawdy

Looking to book a guided hunt for next season. I have been looking at going to Reelfoot and just wanted to get recommendations. Pros and cons of the area or if there would be a better option. Thanks in advance.

Remember Folks no bad stuff!
Lately there have been a few threads posted with less than positive reviews of Duck Hunting guides. Because of the law regarding libel we can't allow your full throated disapprobation of any guide on the open forums.

As a work around, if you want to know about a guide post a thread asking for input on the guide. Those of you offering input on the guide can reply to the OP via PM if your review is a negative one.

Please do not post negative comments about the guide service on the open forums. We will delete those posts. What you say to each other in Private Messages is private. Capeche?

kevbo3333

what made you narrow it to just reelfoot?
Reelfoot is an awesome place but there are better options out there IMO. I have a hard time paying for a guide on a public lake. I know the blinds are privately owned but it’s still a public body of water. I would look into some timber hunts in west TN or Arkansas. Waterfowl outfitters of west Tennessee, Arkansas county guide service, and Daniel Boone duck club are good options. As far as Reelfoot, David Blakley guide service is a good option.

Looking to book a guided hunt for next season. I have been looking at going to Reelfoot and just wanted to get recommendations. Pros and cons of the area or if there would be a better option. Thanks in advance.

MudDucker

Staff member
I made one trip to Reelfoot to scratch off my bucket list. I don't need to go back.

across the river

Reelfoot is public water, which means the birds on the lake are getting shot at by someone everyday. That means that if there isn’t a push a new birds when you are there, then your opportunities are likely going to be limited since the birds are stale. Private blinds or not. 5000 decoys and jugs doesn’t do you that much good if the bird has seen the same spread at every other blind each day the whole week he/she has been there. If I were booking a year in advance, I would find a guide on private that has enough spots and land that he doesn’t hunt the same blind everyday. You have no idea what the weather will be like a year from now. If a guy lets a place rest between hunts, there is a better chance that some birds will be holding there than there is if the spot got shot the day or days before and you are completely relying on fresh birds that may or may not show up.

GTMODawg

BANNED
If you go to Reelfoot, bring your flack jacket and helmet.

Maybe even a hard hat and a kevlar vest...there were 2 guys murdered on reelfoot a few years ago by what was apparently a crazy man who also died in the incident. Reelfoot can be good but it ain't the best....but it is doable on your own, just watch out for crazy people.

Its full of them. Really truly it is a shame how the entire place is run. People own the rights to a lot of the blinds there and they protect them ferociously.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Its full of them. Really truly it is a shame how the entire place is run. People own the rights to a lot of the blinds there and they protect them ferociously.

You are spot on. I hunted Reel Foot a bunch on my own years ago and it was better, even in marginal areas that locals wouldn't consider hunting, than most of Georgia. We made a point out of staying out of people's way because thats what you do when youre visiting but we still had several incidents and a lot of remarks about "not being from around here". I was told by a warden up there once that is why it is managed at all. Apparently at some point many, many, many years ago market gunners would routinely murder one another and sportsmen trying to hunt Reelfoot. That may be pure urban legend but it sounds right....

Sounds about right to me. Meanwhile on all of the forums them locals pretend to be just good old country boys.....

A lot of us read all of the story of the latest nonsense that went down there a couple falls back, but know this, there was more tot hat story than what was told. I guarantee it.

Nobody is crazier than those hard core "I only hunt ducks" duck hunters from my hunting experiences so far in life.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Kansas or the Dakotas

Ihunt

If I wanted to book a duck hunt I would head north to the Dakotas. A lot of ducks just don’t make it as far south as they used to.

ugaringneck

Remember Folks no bad stuff!
Lately there have been a few threads posted with less than positive reviews of Duck Hunting guides. Because of the law regarding libel we can't allow your full throated disapprobation of any guide on the open forums.

I've never understood this stipulation... for something to be libel, the language must be factually untrue, the person responsible for the speech has to KNOW that what they are saying is factually untrue, and the person responsible for the speech has to be purposefully and knowingly using the untrue speech with malice.

sharing information about personal experiences and genuine opinions/feelings about an experience would never amount to libel.

"I think they are way overpriced and that you could get a far better experience for the money with XYZ."
"I personally thought X was rude and he seemed generally un-experienced compared to other guides I've had. I will not be using this outfitter again in the future."
"I remember thinking that the lodge smelled horribly and looked really run down. The bed wasn't comfortable and the sheets didn't look clean... go with them if you want to, but I sure wouldn't spend my money on them again... worst of all, we didn't even see a dozen ducks"

where's the libel?

I've never understood this stipulation... for something to be libel, the language must be factually untrue, the person responsible for the speech has to KNOW that what they are saying is factually untrue, and the person responsible for the speech has to be purposefully and knowingly using the untrue speech with malice.

sharing information about personal experiences and genuine opinions/feelings about an experience would never amount to libel.

"I think they are way overpriced and that you could get a far better experience for the money with XYZ."
"I personally thought X was rude and he seemed generally un-experienced compared to other guides I've had. I will not be using this outfitter again in the future."
"I remember thinking that the lodge smelled horribly and looked really run down. The bed wasn't comfortable and the sheets didn't look clean... go with them if you want to, but I sure wouldn't spend my money on them again... worst of all, we didn't even see a dozen ducks"

where's the libel?
It’s the rules . The same rules you agreed to follow when you joined . If you want to let someone know about a bad experience that you had we encourage you to use the private message system to inform some one . But the rules are the rules . If you have an issue with the rules I encourage you to contact any administrator and raise your concern.

Last edited:

MudDucker

Staff member
Hmmm, malice is not required for libel of a commercial entity, that only applies to celebrities and such.