Hammerhead shark attacking tarpon

lampern

Just got back from Marathon FL. Took a charter to the Bahia Honda bridge to catch tarpon.

My dad hooked the only tarpon of the day on the trip but a hammerhead shark decided to have it for dinner while it was still on the line.

Saw a few other tarpon hooked or caught that morning but not many. Very windy.

Attachments

• IMG_3736.JPG
    IMG_3736.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3739.JPG
    IMG_3739.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3737.JPG
    IMG_3737.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 92

pjciii

They grow yo about 20 feet if memory serves me correctly. You always hate to think that it was a youngster. The shot of the head of that tarpon looks like it was a good one also

MudDucker

Staff member
I was down there many years ago in an 18' boat. I had a nice silver king on and about worn down enough to release when here came a huge hammy. He looked as big as the boat I was in and he hit the fish right next to my boat. Sprayed blood and guts all up into the boat. The guy with me acted quickly and pulled out the bang stick we had in there for diving and slammed into the hammy's head. Too late for the king, but within minutes there was a bloody froth where the hammy's buddies decided to eat him too. A guy in a boat close by started applauding and said man, I'm gonna get me one of those bang sticks. Seems he had lost kings each day for the last two days. Did I say that I hate hammer heads ... yea with a passion!