Hand cut dovetails. First attempt.

Anvil Head

Even with a good router jig they are hard to get right. You did pretty good. I used to look hard at box joinery from Japan and other foreign places. Pop collected several small items while on his Navy cruises. Fascinated with how tight and even the old masters did it by hand. Lakes a lot of practice for sure, that and quality hand saws. Pretty sure you will get better with time.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Looks pretty good. Joinery is something I struggle mightily with, I don’t have enough patience and persistence.

Redbow

Nice job, that's something I have never tried with woodworking I reckon I'm too old to jump on such a project now.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Some old world craftsmen were amazing at what they could accomplish. Others are why joinery jigs were developed.

trial&error

The saw only gets you so close. If you watch them the chisel is the finishing tool. Very precise measurements or a template. try using a piece of tape when you cut one board, then peel off the remainder and use as a template on the other board. I stick to finger joints personally.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Looks like it turned out pretty good for a first try if you ask me. Somebody is going to appreciate that little box. :rockon:

kayaksteve

You saw it through is what matters. I get frustrated sometimes when my first attempt isn’t to my satisfaction and end up scraping projects all together. It’d serve me much better if i finished and learned from it. Some wood glue and sawdust will fill those cracks in good too

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Even with a good router jig they are hard to get right. You did pretty good. I used to look hard at box joinery from Japan and other foreign places. Pop collected several small items while on his Navy cruises. Fascinated with how tight and even the old masters did it by hand. Lakes a lot of practice for sure, that and quality hand saws. Pretty sure you will get better with time.
Some of those log cabins in the Foxfire books have amazingly beautiful joints. Some of the early American cabinet makers were artists in joinery, that’s about as well as I can say it. LongHunter89 you did really well for a first attempt. I’ve meant to do what you’re doing, but you are. Good job.