Hello from Cherokee County - new to hunting

Flywater

Hello all-

First post on GON.

Like the title says, new to hunting. My son and I have decided to give tree rat hunting a try this year. Picked up a couple Gamo hunting air rifles. We also plan on getting ourselves some bows in hopes to do some deer hunting. I'm leaning towards the Bear Adapt myself.

I've been watching as many deer hunting and bow videos as I can over the last 3 weeks or so. Definitely a lot to learn.

Looking forward to reading posts here and getting to know everyone. Maybe one day we can go hunting together. If my son and I can figure out what we are doing, that is.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Welcome, lots of good folks here with much to share. We’re neighbors, I’m just over the line in Bartow County.

Gator89

Thanks for the welcome.

Quick question. Are there any resources/events that are geared towards teaching folks that are new to hunting the basics of how to?

Welcome to GON from a Flurda boy.

Check out GA DNR website for lots of resources.

basshappy

BANNED
@Flywater welcome to GON!

If you haven't already definitely consider subscribing to the GON monthly magazine. Great resource, wealth of information.

Consider focusing on squirrel hunting this year, see how that goes for y'all, and if you both enjoying hunting maybe next season look to begin deer hunting. When yer in the woods looking for squirrels, look for deer indicators (scrapes, rubs, poop, tracks, etc) as well. That first hand learning and exploration will prove more valuable than videos and books.

As noted already the GA DNR puts on excellent programs for youth and parent, and you can keep tabs on the event web site to see if there are any of interest come 2024.

Take 2 quarters with you, and give 4 to your son. Learn how to mimic squirrels with them, and if your son gets one's attention with his quarter nut knockin' he'll probably be excited with a big grin. :)

I think squirrel hunting is an excellent foray into hunting. My boy and I enjoyed running thru the woods after 'em! Put those rear legs in a cast iron skillet with walnut oil, pepper and garlic, and you have the other dark meat!

Flywater

If you haven't already definitely consider subscribing to the GON monthly magazine. Great resource, wealth of information.
Thanks Bass. I signed up a couple weeks back. Will keep an eye out for the magazine.
Consider focusing on squirrel hunting this year, see how that goes for y'all, and if you both enjoying hunting maybe next season look to begin deer hunting. When yer in the woods looking for squirrels, look for deer indicators (scrapes, rubs, poop, tracks, etc) as well. That first hand learning and exploration will prove more valuable than videos and books.
Good advice. Yeah, that was our plan for this year. Just get out there and do some squirrel hunting. We still haven't even purchased our bows yet, and we definitely need to practice with them before we sling some arrows.
Take 2 quarters with you, and give 4 to your son. Learn how to mimic squirrels with them, and if your son gets one's attention with his quarter nut knockin' he'll probably be excited with a big grin. :)
I saw that in some videos I was watching. I picked up the squirrel caller from Hunter's Specialties also. And we have lemongrass plants in the back of the house. Have you tried that before?
I think squirrel hunting is an excellent foray into hunting. My boy and I enjoyed running thru the woods after 'em! Put those rear legs in a cast iron skillet with walnut oil, pepper and garlic, and you have the other dark meat!
Absolutely. I hear they are good eatin'

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Welcome aboard. You're perfectly located to take advantage of more public land squirrel hunting than you can possibly exhaust.

You will find that many of the WMA's have closed gates to the side roads when deer season isn't in or for other reasons... This is good news for you, because it's perfectly legal to park nearby (don't block gates) and walk along the closed roads, where you can either find squirrels or areas you want to explore deeper.

Flywater

Welcome aboard. You're perfectly located to take advantage of more public land squirrel hunting than you can possibly exhaust.

You will find that many of the WMA's have closed gates to the side roads when deer season isn't in or for other reasons... This is good news for you, because it's perfectly legal to park nearby (don't block gates) and walk along the closed roads, where you can either find squirrels or areas you want to explore deeper.
We checked out Allatoona WMA which is REAL close to us. Issue there is access points. The area right close to the house seems to only have water access. Thinking that we would have to go further west towards Acworth. We did take a trip over to McGraw Ford WMA and have a look around. It's only about 20 minutes from us.

Geffellz18

Welcome to the Fire-Great place to pull up a stump and sit a spell.
Not much to provide around squirrel hunting, but love that you & your son are getting out there to bind and learn together.
Best of luck!

basshappy

BANNED
@Flywater sounds like you two are going to enjoy the great outdoors! We hadn't used lemongrass to make calls. Between the quarters and my voice calls we fed our skillet. Well, finding the food sources and returning to them real quietlike another day after scouting fed our skillet. :)

sprewett

Welcome glad to have ya. Awesome to hear you and your son wanting to get after it. I am right down the road I Cartersville.