Hard work pays off!

belle&bows

Beautiful pieces of working art! Congrats on a hard earned and recognized achievement!

snuffy

Congratulations! You earned it.
Proud to have one of your works of art!

turkeykirk

Congratulations on the honor. Lots of hard work there.

Just learned I was accepted as a full member into the Knifemaker’s Guild this past Friday. Sounds like I’m tooting my own horn, and I apologize for that, but this is a huge honor. This was a three year process for anyone accepted into the Guild. Each step (year) my knives were critically evaluated by my peers, then on to the next level the following year. I was requested to bring four current blades to Atlanta’s Blade Show for final evaluation….this was it…..brought five just in case. Friday I was one of two makers evaluated at that time.

Got it. As Barney Fife once said “This is Big! Big Big!”

The five knives presented are shown below. Some of these are repeats from previous posts. Three CPM154 stainless steel blades, one Damascus and of course, I had to slip in one of my file knives.

Thanks for looking and know that I’m much obliged for all the positive comments y’all gave along the way!

View attachment 1231228
View attachment 1231229
View attachment 1231230
View attachment 1231231
That’s a huge accomplishment sir ! Congrats to you and All the hard work that went into achieving this.

Duff

You should be the president if you ask me. Beautiful work and congratulations!

Anvil Head

Congrats Hank! I know you worked hard to get accepted. The jury in process is a bit stressful I know, but worth the angst. I saw you go in the "sweat box", but didn't want to disturb your train of thought. I juried in back in 2012 at the Louisville show.
For those that haven't been through the process, you just don't know what sitting in front of the board of very accomplished knifemakers while they inspect, point and whisper about each of your presentation knives.
I know several who wound up going through it 2 or 3 times before they got their act together.

The only other time I got that nervous was when I juried in for Master Artist Certification down at the State Capitol. 15 judges in that room. Biggest satisfaction was my art presentations were my knives. The first and as far as I know only MA to get certification with knives.

Again Congratulations Hank, well done!

godogs57

Congrats Hank! I know you worked hard to get accepted. The jury in process is a bit stressful I know, but worth the angst. I saw you go in the "sweat box", but didn't want to disturb your train of thought. I juried in back in 2012 at the Louisville show.
For those that haven't been through the process, you just don't know what sitting in front of the board of very accomplished knifemakers while they inspect, point and whisper about each of your presentation knives.
I know several who wound up going through it 2 or 3 times before they got their act together.

The only other time I got that nervous was when I juried in for Master Artist Certification down at the State Capitol. 15 judges in that room. Biggest satisfaction was my art presentations were my knives. The first and as far as I know only MA to get certification with knives.

Again Congratulations Hank, well done!
Man you should have stopped me and we could have swapped some lies! Yep, it always does something to your ego, or whatever it is, when you know they’ll be looking for any little shortcoming they can find. I didnt like the whispering part. But I did just fine…not perfect because no one is perfect. Your mention of going into the “sweat box” reminded me of the time I completed my Masters degree at UGA in economics. Now I did sweat in that two plus hour interrogation by my professors. A colonoscopy couldn’t hold a candle to that process.

wvdawg

Staff member
My knife collection just increased in value! :tip:

Congrats Hank! Well deserved recognition!

godogs57

My knife collection just increased in value! :tip:

Congrats Hank! Well deserved recognition!
Got a couple of friends that have a good number of my blades. They are always cracking at me about how much their collection will increase in value when I kick the bucket. I always tell em “Dude, your’e older than me! Stay away from any banana peels on the floor”