Has Vortex become the “go-to” glass for America now?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Vortex has not figured out how to make good glass yet period. Nuff said lol

I'm a firm believer in YOU using whatever makes YOU happy. But to say that Vortex doesn't make good glass simply isn't true. Actually, I don't know that Vortex makes their own glass or contracts it out.

I once sat on the front porch late in the evening with my father in law comparing his Swarovskis to the new Vortex Razors I had. We passed them back and forth looking at different objects at different distances. The only noticeable advantage (and you really had to look to see it) was the Swaros were crystal clear all the way to the edge of the lense, whereas the Vortex lost clarity right at the edge. Neither one of us could see where the Swarovskis were $2000 better than the Vortex.

slow motion

Been following this as I'm gonna need a set of binoculars for the fall and I'm notoriously cheap on a lot of things.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
My only experience with vortex is with a crossfire II. Glass was ok and I killed a ton of hogs with it but the reticle inside couldn't handle the 308 it was on. It got worse at every shot. In low light I would turn on the illumination and it washed the whole lens out in red. I wont buy another.

Shane Dockery

Bought a pair of the 10x42 Vortex Diamondback HD Binos about 2 years ago. For the price, they are excellent and I have no complaints whatsoever! A buddy of mine has the 3-9x40 Diamondback Scope and it's a clear as any mid-high range Leupold that I've looked through. Buy what you like, let others spend major $ on what they like.

Robert28

My only experience with vortex is with a crossfire II. Glass was ok and I killed a ton of hogs with it but the reticle inside couldn't handle the 308 it was on. It got worse at every shot. In low light I would turn on the illumination and it washed the whole lens out in red. I wont buy another.
Well that helps answer my question as I was looking at that scope for a 308.

Pig Predator

The higher end models them other fellars are talking about may be fine but that was just my experience with my particular model if that was the one you were looking at.

Robert28

The higher end models them other fellars are talking about may be fine but that was just my experience with my particular model if that was the one you were looking at.
It was just one of a few I was looking at. There really isn’t much out there to pick from right now and everything is msrp. I’m just gonna ride my old Leupold vx2 until I can find something else whenever that is.

ryanh487

I have 2 of the non-illuminated crossfire IIs in 4-12×44. No issue with either one. Yours will be replaced no questions asked if you reach out to vortex though.

ryanh487

My non-illuminated crossfire II has been flawless on my .270, fwiw. Including after a hard fall scope first onto solid flooring. Absolutely no shift in zero.

NCMTNHunter

I only have two first hand experiences with vortex stuff. I bought my daughter a pair of 10x42 diamondbacks for Christmas a couple years ago. For a low price bino they are pretty dang clear and I don’t really worry about her breaking them.

My buddy bought a spotting scope (I don’t know which line but it wasn’t the most expensive) to take on an elk hunt in New Mexico about 4 or 5 years ago. We found the bull in my avatar at about 3 miles away with it which is expectable on an elk hunt. Not like looking through a Swarovski but pretty clear. It came a light rain shower as we were making the final stalk on this bull. The next day the spotting scope was fogged up on the inside. Vortex fixed or replaced it 100% covered but it was still just a big paper weight the last couple days of the hunt.

Pig Predator

It was just one of a few I was looking at. There really isn’t much out there to pick from right now and everything is msrp. I’m just gonna ride my old Leupold vx2 until I can find something else whenever that is.
I saved for 3 years to buy my zeiss conquest v4 and I couldn't be happier in quality and durability. I got by during those years with an old firefly.

Pig Predator

I have 2 of the non-illuminated crossfire IIs in 4-12×44. No issue with either one. Yours will be replaced no questions asked if you reach out to vortex though.
This is the 1x6 I think. The glass was good, killed a ton of hogs close range in daytime running. It just fell apart inside. I do need to send it back.

gacowboy

GONetwork Member
I bought one last summer and I really like it so far. Good products for the money. I got it at Grady's in Anderson SC, Great folks.

Al White

I bought a Viper for my son's gun. Great scope, clear, great warranty if ever needed. I'd buy another.

CivilWolf

I’ve got 4 Leupold VXIII’s and I’ve never had any failures or performance issues with either of them but honestly the glass is just middle of the road. A comparable Vortex has better glass IMO. I have a blemished box Meopta Meopro that I found on Cameraland for stupid cheap and the glass on that scope is as good as you could possibly ask for. I picked up the low end Swarovski Z3 a couple of years back to put on my mountain rifle and it is my favorite of all. Super glass, super light and won’t totally break the bank. I’d seriously consider that scope assuming you could find one somewhere.

Jim Boyd

I’m looking for a new scope for my 308 now and there’s NOTHING out there hardly. What I mean is you used to find a deal on a scope anytime of the year but now EVERYTHING is msrp, from Amazon to opticsplanet to Midway, you name it. Not even $1 off. Combine that with the fact that it seems like no one caters to the hunting crowd anymore, what’s up with these busy reticles? I’m not trying to solve a math equation, I’m trying to shoot a deer or a hog, give me simple crosshairs, not all this other stupid stuff distracting me. I’ve always owned Leupold but wow have the cut out all the scopes I would be interested in and replaced them with stuff I have absolute no interest in! VX3i got replaced by some stupid HD model that ALL have CDS. I don’t want CDS. The Freedom isn’t near the deal it used to be. I’m not paying $299 for a basic entry level 3x9x40 scope. I have one and I paid $180 and that’s about all it’s worth. Great scope for $180, it ain’t no $300 scope though. So Leupold is out for me.
Meopta doesn’t seem to have near the selection they used to have. Their new meopro sport only comes in ONE configuration? Why?!
Only ones even TRYING to cater to the hunting man is Vortex, Burris, Bushnell and Sig. That’s it. Everything else is tacticol and long rage shooting from a bench (why there’s so many stupid looking reticles). I’ll stick with my old Leupold but I think I’m gonna have to go somewhere else for a hunting scope.

How about the Meopta Optika5 with a 4c reticle.

Genuine quality glass and a world proven hunting reticle. In fact, my favorite hunting reticle of all time.

About $400-450 I think and imo, one of the last scopes you will ever need.

1”, SFP so the money is kept fairly low.

I bought one recently and it is 2-10x42 so low profile and is not runaway magnification.

What say you, sir?

Robert28

How about the Meopta Optika5 with a 4c reticle.

Genuine quality glass and a world proven hunting reticle. In fact, my favorite hunting reticle of all time.

About $400-450 I think and imo, one of the last scopes you will ever need.

1”, SFP so the money is kept fairly low.

I bought one recently and it is 2-10x42 so low profile and is not runaway magnification.

What say you, sir?
Out of stock or back order everywhere I’ve checked. I’ve been running into that problem with most scopes I’ve been interested in.

Jim Boyd

I’ve got 4 Leupold VXIII’s and I’ve never had any failures or performance issues with either of them but honestly the glass is just middle of the road. A comparable Vortex has better glass IMO. I have a blemished box Meopta Meopro that I found on Cameraland for stupid cheap and the glass on that scope is as good as you could possibly ask for. I picked up the low end Swarovski Z3 a couple of years back to put on my mountain rifle and it is my favorite of all. Super glass, super light and won’t totally break the bank. I’d seriously consider that scope assuming you could find one somewhere.

No doubt, sir - you have it figured out.

Well stated!