Have Crappie Spawned

whchunter

Tomorrow's Easter. I went Wednesday to Sinclair and caught 14 medium sized crappie. Nothing close to big. They were in 8 to 12 feet. I tried shallow and nothing. When cleaned I found small egg sacks. The water temperature was 74 degrees. I would have thought the crappie would be spawned out by now. What's your thoughts?

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
The larger fish have, at least at Blackshear. With this messed up weather this year some crappie will be spawning into May.

AStrick

Crappie won't drop all their eggs at once! They seem to prefer night time!
It could take a week or better for them to lay out! Everything I've been catching are in 8 to 10ft of water in a cove or flat close to the channel!
My 2 cents! Keep the change!
Lol!
Hope it helps!

AStrick

I'll be chasing then in the morning,
Long line trolling with 1 jig per pole tipped with a minnow!
I wanted to use a spider rig, but with this cold snap I can cover a lot of water in a shorter amount of time!
Allatoona I reckon!
It was a toss up between Allatoona & West Point!

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
West Point is high and muddy, several friends went yesterday and caught hardly anything.

ribber

Tomorrow's Easter. I went Wednesday to Sinclair and caught 14 medium sized crappie. Nothing close to big. They were in 8 to 12 feet. I tried shallow and nothing. When cleaned I found small egg sacks. The water temperature was 74 degrees. I would have thought the crappie would be spawned out by now. What's your thoughts?

I think the majority of the best fish have spawned, but they all don't lay at the same time. We went night fishing at Sinclair maybe 10-12 years ago in June, and caught a decent mess, maybe 15-20. When cleaning them the next day, 6-8 of the larger ones had eggs. I should have taken pictures because most act like I'm fibbing when I tell them lol. It was a first for me, I've not seen eggs in them that late before or since.

whchunter

I neglected to tell you what might be another important point. The fish caught had little if any food in their guts. I would think if they have eggs they would have more food in their gut and coming off bed no food in guts. But since I caught them they were feeding. My guess is they were feeding and still developing their eggs in preparation to go on bed. Am I right or wrong?

Shawn Holcombe

Still catching medium size spawners up shallow in cedar creek. Caught the biggest girls first couple weeks of March. As long as it doesn't get hot should go on into May.:flag: