Help a brotha out.....I'm ignorant on air fryers, pressure cookers & other modern cooking apparatus

Dub

I need words from the wise.

I used to grill, smoke, bake and etc for the family.
Family is gone, grown and moved on.

I'm absolutely positively sick of fast food and frozen meals.
Leftovers also loose their appeal....quickly.

I do, however, still cook but it's a slow endeavor and I don't have the time or patience for it after long work days.

Cast iron skillets are my go-to. Same with cast iron dutch ovens in the event that I have a day off to cook anything.

My trusty ole crockpot bit the dust and hasn't been replaced.
The George Foreman took up counter space and honestly was too gimmicky for me....I'd simply grab a cast iron skillet instead.

So.....I want to add some new cooking gear that'll get the job done easier and more automated.

I'd like to get home from work, toss raw stuff in a device and go grab a shower and come back downstairs to a hot meal.

So.....air fryer....what dat is ???

What replaced the crockpots.....what dey is ???

I'm not interested in spending time in the kitchen doing prep work and cleaning up stuff.....but I want tasty and nutritious meals.

I'll lose my mind if I ever have to interact with a drive through place ever again. Done. Finished. The End.

They can consider me off their books.......except the occasional drive through coffee places. Those keep me up to date on the current state of weirdness in our culture.
Interacting with brew staff, baristas and whatnot at Starbucks and the half dozen other coffee places are my way of keeping a watch on what "the other side' is up to....while, at the same time indulging in one of my longstanding vices....strong coffee.

Please coach me up.

What ancillary gear is needed ???

Is Ninja still a solid brand to go with ????

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
First thing I'd do is replace the crockpot.
Toss in your fresh ingredients in the morning on your way out the door & come home after work to a fresh cooked meal.
Plus, you're already familiar with a crockpot.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
An airfryer is a small convection oven spun to seem something it isn't. If you have an oven, you already have an airfryer, basically. The "air fryer" is just set up to be more convenient to use than an oven. They can make good food, but it sure isn't "fried," it's baked. To make food crispy in one you have to coat it in, yep- oil. And there's nothing wrong with that. I bake stuff all the time. I just don't call it "air fried." The instapot-type pressure cookers seem to be well-liked, I don't own one, but I know several people who do. Crockpots still work just as good as they always did.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
InstaPot is great for having roasts, stews, and soup waiting when you get home. You can set it to cook then keep the dish warm until you’re ready to serve. InstaPot also quick cooks due to pressure cooking. A roast is ready in hour.

AirFryers are quick cook machines. Wings are great, chicken breast and chops are also a breeeze.

Crockpots are slow cookers to have food ready upon your arrival. We use ours for pintos and ham, chicken and dumplings etc.

pjciii

Only reason I go to a drive thru is to get the dog grilled chicken nuggets.

My problem was even though I cooked I always for a crowd. Now it's just me I still cook way to much and only eat leftovers 1 day maybe 2. It then sits in refrigerator till I toss it or freeze it and then never eat it. So it still gets tossed.

Narrowed down what I make to things like shepherd's pie, beef stroganoff, Chinese, Thai, red beans and rice. Most everything else goes on a grill.

I have the George Forman. Decent for burgers, patty melt, Ruben or grilled cheese. Have a crock pot that will sear, braise, slow cook for vegetable soup, chili, beef stew. Couple of Dutch ovens that I use to cook or sear Chinese and Thai. Have my cast iron skillet for cornbread. Got a mack daddy toaster oven by Brevill.

Now that you are on this road you will get figured out. Remember Goodwill and Restore are your friends along with some enamel coated cast iron. Easy clean up with bar keepers friend.

Oh, thinking about getting this

To reduce even more kitchen items

Last edited:

Shadow11

I'm in the same boat as you. I need a new crock pot so I can get back to doing some roasts or stews. I think I might make that a priority this weekend, and hit up the walmart.

I think it was my mom, but someone bought me an air fryer for Christmas or something when they first came out. I didn't much care for it so it just sits under my counter in the cabinet with a pile of other gadgets I never use, or are either impossible to clean. I prefer a good toaster over to heat up smaller dishes over that air fryer any day.

I've got one of those electric counter top grills, but it just sits there and takes up space. If I'm grilling, it's on charcoal now days. I just assume use a frying pan than that thing. Hard to clean too.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I'm in the same boat as you. I need a new crock pot so I can get back to doing some roasts or stews. I think I might make that a priority this weekend, and hit up the walmart.

I think it was my mom, but someone bought me an air fryer for Christmas or something when they first came out. I didn't much care for it so it just sits under my counter in the cabinet with a pile of other gadgets I never use, or are either impossible to clean. I prefer a good toaster over to heat up smaller dishes over that air fryer any day.

I've got one of those electric counter top grills, but it just sits there and takes up space. If I'm grilling, it's on charcoal now days. I just assume use a frying pan than that thing. Hard to clean too.
For all of Y'all on the crock pot kick, do yourself a favor (if you haven't all ready) and get a box of "slow cooker liners". Took me forever to believe that a plastic bag could survive through the long cooking time of crock pot meals, but they do and make clean up a cinch. All one has to do is pull the bag out and put it the trash (if empty) or hard plastic container (butter tub) to save for later. Haven't had to wash my crock pot in 2 years.

georgia_home

If you get an air fryer, go big! Or don’t bother

the little one work, but we tried to make chicken strips for the family. It would have taken 4 batches. There must be room for the air to circulate. so you can’t do them all at once

after the first batch started , I did the math and used the oven for rest. One big oven batch

the air fryer strips did turn out well. as did the oven fried.

the bigger French door version with multi tiers seems that it would work ok..

we use the instapot for carnitas/carnitas soup. And a few other things. But it’s ok. More time is quick then did and wait. Sorta like a Crocker on fast forward.

+1 on new crock.

At work, the guys had a 2 chicken breast mini Crocker. For lunches.

full size At home we use it mostly for chili or ribs.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
For all of Y'all on the crock pot kick, do yourself a favor (if you haven't all ready) and get a box of "slow cooker liners". Took me forever to believe that a plastic bag could survive through the long cooking time of crock pot meals, but they do and make clean up a cinch. All one has to do is pull the bag out and put it the trash (if empty) or hard plastic container (butter tub) to save for later. Haven't had to wash my crock pot in 2 years.

There's just something about cooking food in a plastic bag that just doesn't appeal to me, plus Mrs. elfiii ain't gonna have nuthin' to do with none a that and it ain't gonna be 'llowed in her kitchen.

My mama used to do that with her crockpot. Other than the risk of PCB's etc. that may be why my wife won't do it. :bounce:

Dub

Well, gents.....ya'll gave me some food for thought, so to speak.

Gonna grab a shower and hit the road for some cooking apparati acquisition.

Maybe a good looking damsel in need of advising a distressed hombre will come to my aid while I'm standing there looking all puzzled at the array of modern kitchen accoutrement....I'll use my rear view mirror to work on my puzzled look on the way to the store. :rofl:

Shower, strap up with the gat-of-the-day.....and on to get kitted up on a freakin countertop cooking gizmo.

I'd better carve out some time to do some manly stuff, too.

Buying bakeware and such is not my wheelhouse activity.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
There's just something about cooking food in a plastic bag that just doesn't appeal to me, plus Mrs. elfiii ain't gonna have nuthin' to do with none a that and it ain't gonna be 'llowed in her kitchen.

My mama used to do that with her crockpot. Other than the risk of PCB's etc. that may be why my wife won't do it. :bounce:
Bet she'll drink coffee out of a styrofoam cup if she had to. Who want's to live forever any ways?

Dub

I'll be back later on....to post up my decisions and results.

I know that @NCHillbilly will be eagerly awaiting my black beans 'n TexMex results.

Hope he don't pull the trigga and ban me for rolling the beautiful bean footage.......

See ya'll later.

I'm having homebrew Messican for dinnatime this evening.
Hopefully it won't suck.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Bet she'll drink coffee out of a styrofoam cup if she had to. Who want's to live forever any ways?

She won't touch a styrofoam cup. She'll drink out of a paper cup all day long.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I'll be back later on....to post up my decisions and results.

I know that @NCHillbilly will be eagerly awaiting my black beans 'n TexMex results.

Hope he don't pull the trigga and ban me for rolling the beautiful bean footage.......

See ya'll later.

I'm having homebrew Messican for dinnatime this evening.
Hopefully it won't suck.

If you torture him too much he just won't look. :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Mama used to bake turkeys in those plastic bags. I just throw them on the smoker.

and they're better than Mom's were...

Dub

Mama used to bake turkeys in those plastic bags. I just throw them on the smoker.

and they're better than Mom's were...

Don't get me started on turkey.

Once I started frying turkeys....and also smoking turkeys....my family wouldn't hardly eat Mom's turkey when we'd visit on holidays.

I don't even like turkey....categorically don't care for it......yet I'd tear into a good fried or smoked turkey like a starving carnivore.

Baked turkey....no thanks.

I'd rather grab a can of Viennas.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I an't gonna tempt fate and bean it up....not overtly, at least.

I also won't be trying to cook a delicious burger in an "air fryer" (if that is even possible). I know he'd throw that ban hammer like Thor himself.
:smash:

• Haha
Reactions: Dub