HELP! I’ve boogered up my gaming PC

PappyHoel

I’m an IT guy and I’m embarrassed that I have to ask for help. There is no one on google that has my self induced issue.

I’m running the latest version of Windows 10.

I was trying to view hidden files under my user file. I inadvertently clicked hide files :( and clicked thru before I realized what I did. My next mistake was rebooting. After a fresh reboot my windows cloud settings throw and error and I am unable to left click my mouse. I can also see that my user files on the desktop are translucent which means they are all still hidden. I can’t even tab and return through the file Explorer menu because it’s hidden.

To sum up ... I can move my mouse but can’t left click on icons. I can’t right or left click. I can navagate with the keyboard but not on any significant icon even if I was able to fix the issue because it’s hidden. I can’t revert to an earlier version.

Tell me there’s an easy fix.

PappyHoel

PappyHoel

safe mode?

There’s no way that I can find to start/boot into safe mode because the mouse quits working as soon as the desktop pulls up.

FYI my computer boots up in approx 20sec max, there’s absolutely no opportunity to escape out of anything.

I can’t even figure out how I would reformat the hard drive if I needed to

PappyHoel

try device manager and delete mouse and allow reinstall.

You using a usb mouse or ps/2? I had this happen with a USB mouse, had to plug in a ps/2 then was able to get it sorted.

In a pinch, use keyboard shortcuts to get to device manager:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts

Thanks for the tip I will look for a ps2 mouse around the office and try it when I get home. That might get me far enough to start in safe mode or restore point. The scary thing is I’m not sure I even set up restore points.

I’m using a usb mouse but I’m not sure I could even get to device manager with all files hidden. Basically everything is not available to my user because I hid everything

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Thanks for the tip I will look for a ps2 mouse around the office and try it when I get home. That might get me far enough to start in safe mode or restore point. The scary thing is I’m not sure I even set up restore points.

I’m using a usb mouse but I’m not sure I could even get to device manager with all files hidden. Basically everything is not available to my user because I hid everything

I don't believe you will need to mess with restore points in Safe Mode (I could be wrong) but will instead be able to access the hidden files and correct your error.

Good luck.

PappyHoel

I don't believe you will need to mess with restore points in Safe Mode (I could be wrong) but will instead be able to access the hidden files and correct your error.

Good luck.

Rather than access them I need to unhide them all first. Then hopefully reboot and everything will operate normally.

Cook&Bro

USB mouse ??

What happens if you switch usb ports (mouse) and then start the PC. Will the system recognize the mouse on the "new" usb port ??

Artfuldodger

What about booting from a repair disk? Wouldn't that load a generic mouse driver and let you choose restore from the repair disk?

WayneB

USB mouse ??

What happens if you switch usb ports (mouse) and then start the PC. Will the system recognize the mouse on the "new" usb port ??

usually not. You could boot up without a mouse, and plug one in and get that result.. I think.
Keyboard shortcuts should get you to the device manager, where you can delete the mouse driver. Plugging mouse back in should start the new hardware wizard and restore mouse.

PappyHoel

Oh no! A day without video games could be unbearable

On topic, thats true. I get about an hour of free time a night to unwind.

What about booting from a repair disk? Wouldn't that load a generic mouse driver and let you choose restore from the repair disk?

There was no repair disk with this computer since it was a prebuilt MSI. They want you to order a repair USB with serial # etc. Believe it or not most high end systems dont come with them anymore. Theres also a recovery partition specifically for restoring everything to default. I discovered that while researching options to fix my issue.

============

Ok its fixed...Thank you ALL for your help.

The solution: I plugged in a dumb usb mouse with 2 buttons. It loaded the drivers and i was able to use it to unhide all my user files. Then i had to reboot and plug my logitech G502 Mouse (Smart Mouse) and it loaded the drivers for it. All systems are running and there are no errors.

I assume the drivers for my logitech mouse were unable to load fully and the buttons were unusable.

Now back to my original issue. I was trying to get my headset microphone to work properly in game. sigh

PappyHoel

obvious question, does the mic work in other applications?

It works in no applications but I discovered that with the new windows update the other night, it changes all privacy settings under the microphone to OFF.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
This is why I still have "Frogger" on Nintendo.