Hen with a beard

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Too bad she didn’t have a flock of poults with her . Nice thick beard on her though , most of the ones I’ve seen are really thin

DRBugman85

Too bad she didn’t have a flock of poults with her . Nice thick beard on her though , most of the ones I’ve seen are really thin
She had 10 poults and the hawks thin all but 4 out, The poult count has been about the same for 6 years some where around 20%. To many hawks here.

GeorgeShu

I have seen bearded hens on some property in Screven County over the last 23 years. Must be a genetic component to it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
See them pretty often around here. One hung around the shop at work all summer and nested in the shrubbery bed.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Legal here and eat way better than a gobbler.

I've seen a few here. Genetic mutation is what I've heard mostly, seems when you see one, you see more in that area.

wvdawg

Staff member
Had quite a few in Haralson when I hunted there. I have only seen one since moving to Warren County a few years ago.

Last edited:

killerv

We had a real cool one walking around one season, saw her twice, darkest turkey I've ever seen, black body with a dark grey head, beard. Just some weird genetic thing I guess.