Henry Single Shot Problems

frankwright

I bought a new Henry Single shot in .308 in April.
A month or so before gun season I started sighting it in. I had loaded 40 rounds using Aguila cases and Hornady SST bullets . Cases were all sized, primer pockets cleaned and all the normal stuff.
I had Win primers, they were pretty old but always kept under good conditions and I have never had primer problems.
I was getting 2 out of 10 rounds that would not fire. Primer was hit but no bang. I tried firing them a 2nd and 3rd time with no luck.
I bought some new primers, reloaded them again and same problems. Hammer seems to fall hard but no bang.
I do have a hammer extension but I can't reach the hammer under the scope otherwise.
I took the stock off, cleaned,lubed and checked everything.
I am going to try some factory ammo but looking for ideas, it could be the chamber is not headspaced correct or something.
What do you think, I am frustrated with it right now.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I got mine about the same time, and so far it's been flawless. I have used a few different factory .308s, and some reloads a friend made. Probably 100 rounds thru it.

I'd say try it without the spur to start with, just to make sure that ain't the issue.

I've got the Grov-tec spur on mine, for reference...

Dub

There is a pile of discussion about this rifle over there ^^^^^

Mostly about getting a lighter trigger pull with a spring change....and some on light primer strikes.

One thing that all Henry owners can be confident of is their customer service. They'll get you taken care of.....but it may not be in time for this hunting season.

ScLowCountry

Try different ammo. If it does it again, call Henry. Their customer service is the best. They will pay for shipping and have it back to you quickly. They an amazing company

rosewood

Try Federal primers if you can get them. I had a few light strikes in a Contender and one of my H&Rs and the Federals fixed the problem. I use Federals in most all of my single shots now.

Rosewood

rosewood

Just curious but what is the OACL of that brass you loaded?
Could very well be a headspace issue.

OP,
Just barely bump the shoulder back on your fired cases and see if that fixes the problem. Could be the firing pin just isn't getting to the primer.

Rosewood

^^^ this is what I am betting on.....

That or the primers are seated too deep > .005" inches or more...
Try seating the primers flush with the case base.....I don't seat my primers deeper than flush or .001-.002 deep into the case.

I have a hard time believing a light spring, although I did have to replace my wife's Ruger spring due to light primer strikes. But that's the only time in my life I have witnessed that with all of the guns that I have owned.

rosewood

^^^ this is what I am betting on.....

That or the primers are seated too deep > .005" inches or more...
Try seating the primers flush with the case base.....I don't seat my primers deeper than flush or .001-.002 deep into the case.

I have a hard time believing a light spring, although I did have to replace my wife's Ruger spring due to light primer strikes. But that's the only time in my life I have witnessed that with all of the guns that I have owned.
Not seating a primer completely can cause a light strike as the primer can move when the firing pin strikes it absorbing some of the blow. The primer should be fully seated.

Rosewood

frankwright

2.005 trim on all the brass.
Primers seated just below flush.
I love Federal primers but I had a heck of a time finding any primers at all.
My game plan:
Fire the dud rounds and other rounds in a different gun.
Fire factory ammo in the Henry.
Try without hammer extension.
Call Henry!

Thanks, I like the gun. Trigger is nice. Everything is stock except scope, cheek riser and hammer extension.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Never personally had an issue with the primer being seated flush and not buried to the bottom but I for sure understand what you're saying.
that is a good thing! It will prevent all kinds of issues that could go wrong. One being what rosewood described and...for me...the possibility of an out of battery firing.

I have set all of my pocket reamers to give .004 clearance.

I hope that talking about this doesn't change your fortune

frankwright

I spent a sweaty morning at the range.
First I tried 4 dud rounds in a Remington 7400. All fired fine.
I tried two different reloads with different primers and some factory ammo in the henry. Fired about 60% reliable.
Removed the hammer extension and the next 15 rounds all fired no matter which ones they were.

Hard to believe that little extension will keep it from firing.

It makes me want a little heavier hammer spring just to be safe.

Is there such a thing or a way to shim the OEM to be stronger?

Jester896

Senior Clown
what is the extension hitting or is it? You might be able to move the extension away a little more. I am right handed but my hammer extensions are on the left...if you swapped it would it hit?

rosewood

I spent a sweaty morning at the range.
First I tried 4 dud rounds in a Remington 7400. All fired fine.
I tried two different reloads with different primers and some factory ammo in the henry. Fired about 60% reliable.
Removed the hammer extension and the next 15 rounds all fired no matter which ones they were.

Hard to believe that little extension will keep it from firing.

It makes me want a little heavier hammer spring just to be safe.

Is there such a thing or a way to shim the OEM to be stronger?
Betting it has a transfer bar doesn't it? Revolvers have it, but they use small pistol primers that are softer than rifle cartridges. I am betting some Federals primers will make it 100% reliable. But that doesn't make it work with factory fodder that ain't federal. That extra weight of the hammer extension slows down the hammer speed just enough. A stiffer hammer spring might take care of it also. Maybe give Henry a call and tell them of your findings and see what they have to say about it. They may offer to add one for you.

Be aware, a stiffer hammer spring might increase your trigger pull weight.

One other option is to ditch the hammer extension and use higher scope rings so you can get under there to cock it.

Rosewood

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
what is the extension hitting or is it? You might be able to move the extension away a little more. I am right handed but my hammer extensions are on the left...if you swapped it would it hit?
Sometimes that extra few grams/grains in weight of the extension slows the hammer down enough to cause light strikes even when not touching anything else along the way.