Henry Single Shot Problems

Jester896

Senior Clown
yes it can slow it down
i just wanted to make sure it wasn't touching when the hammer went all the way down to the transfer bar...not resting after firing. I guess he would see a small ding if it hit sometimes.

frankwright

Yes, extension wasn't hitting anything. Just the extra weight and it felt pretty light too me.
I will have to buy a new scope as there is no way to move it forward or back enough to clean enough or buy higher rings.
I kind of wanted a more compact scope anyway but the piggy bank had no rattles.
I sent an email to Henry asking about the spring. May also be a way to shim or space it.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Yes, extension wasn't hitting anything. Just the extra weight and it felt pretty light too me.
I will have to buy a new scope as there is no way to move it forward or back enough to clean enough.
I kind of wanted a more compact scope anyway but the piggy bank had no rattles.
So was it the weight of the hammer extension that was causing the problem? Do they make aluminum ones?

Buck70

Might want to try what @Railroader offered up:

I got mine about the same time, and so far it's been flawless. I have used a few different factory .308s, and some reloads a friend made. Probably 100 rounds thru it.

I'd say try it without the spur to start with, just to make sure that ain't the issue.

I've got the Grov-tec spur on mine, for reference...

frankwright

No doubt adding the weight of the hammer extension slows the hammer just enough to cause 3 out of 10 to misfire. Not good for hunting.
I have contacted Henry for a slightly stronger spring if possible.
I am going to switch from medium to high rings to give me more room to cock the hammer without the trouble causing hammer extension.
It may be possible to add a spacer to increase the spring tension. I know they make a #41 lb spring at least, maybe more.

rosewood

I purchased a CVA Hunter in 35 Rem from Academy maybe 6 years ago. Had issues with light hammer strikes on it. Can't remember how I figured it out, but determined there was a burr in the firing pin "tunnel". I disassembled, polished it out and it has been flawless since. Guess I didn't want to fool with sending it in for repair. Although the one gun (Stalker in .223) I sent in to CVA was great service.

Rosewood

frankwright

I got a message that Henry had received my rifle and were going to check it out.
Two days later I get a UPS notification that it is shipping back and will be here Nov 23.
Pretty quick, I assume they found something pretty obvious and fixed it.
I imagine it will have a repair report with it when I get it back.

frankwright

Got the Henry back a while ago.
Note from Henry said: Replaced Firing Pin Retention Insert, Firing Pin, Hammer Spring and Hammer Spring Guide.
I put the hammer extension back on and fired six sized primered cases and they all fired.
Trigger still feels good and I think it is fixed. Got the scope, mount, cheek rest and sling back on.
Henry fixed it and returned it within a few days. I am well pleased.
I was hoping for a little Henry swag like a Henry decal, patch, pin, pen, t shirt, hat,
bandanna, picture o something. I got nothing but that is OK, I got my gun back and it is still deer season.