Herbicide question...

davel

I sprayed a plot that had a lot of grass and weeds in it with glyphosate. I used the recommended amount. I sprayed it last Sunday and checked it today. Not very good results. There were strips that were brown but other areas I know I sprayed well were still green. The glyphosate is a few years old but it had never been opened and stored inside.
I also sprayed my clover plot with sethoxydim to kill the bahia last Sunday. I doesn't even look like I sprayed it at all. That being said it took 2 weeks to kill the crabgrass when I sprayed it with clethodim.
Is it still too early or should I hit the plot with weeds and grass again with gly? I'm going to wait and see on the clover plot.
Thanks.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I sprayed a plot that had a lot of grass and weeds in it with glyphosate. I used the recommended amount. I sprayed it last Sunday and checked it today. Not very good results. There were strips that were brown but other areas I know I sprayed well were still green. The glyphosate is a few years old but it had never been opened and stored inside.
I also sprayed my clover plot with sethoxydim to kill the bahia last Sunday. I doesn't even look like I sprayed it at all. That being said it took 2 weeks to kill the crabgrass when I sprayed it with clethodim.
Is it still too early or should I hit the plot with weeds and grass again with gly? I'm going to wait and see on the clover plot.
Thanks.

Have you had rain since spraying ?

davel

But it wasn't much...I think yesterday was the first good rain since I sprayed last Sunday.

doomtrpr_z71

If you didn't have good coverage it'll take a little longer to kill weeds, 2 weeks is common, but if it's green it sounds like you must have had an issue. It should at least be yellowing up some by now. Have you been dry before you sprayed?

davel

If you didn't have good coverage it'll take a little longer to kill weeds, 2 weeks is common, but if it's green it sounds like you must have had an issue. It should at least be yellowing up some by now. Have you been dry before you sprayed?
Yeah it was dry. No rain before I sprayed and made sure all the dew was gone. May not have applied enough gly. Some spots are yellow/brown and others still green. I made sure I hit all spots so not sure.

treemanjohn

Banned
What percentage and what ratio did you use? Somethings are tougher than others to kill. Also, we get tired as the day progresses and we speed up the process and we don't hit the foliage as we should.

I always use a spray colorant. I can see exactly what my coverage is at a glance

davel

I have the Chapin mix on exit sprayer. I did setting #2 which is 2oz per gallon. Guess I should have done 3oz per acre and slowed down. I actually went over the thick stuff twice. It's really weird because I have a few strips that look like it worked great...others like it wasn't even sprayed.
On my clover plot the clethodim smoked the crabgrass in May but the sethoxydim doesn't look like it even touched the bahia.

davel

Should I spray the glyphosate again or wait? Calling for rain almost every day here for the next few days.
How long does it have to dry before it rains? Still trying to figure out this spraying stuff. This is the first year I have ever sprayed.
Thanks!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Should I spray the glyphosate again or wait? Calling for rain almost every day here for the next few days.
How long does it have to dry before it rains? Still trying to figure out this spraying stuff. This is the first year I have ever sprayed.
Thanks!
As long as is gets dried on there, you're good to go. An hour or two space is probably better. But if you say, spray it in the morning and it rains that afternoon, you'll be good to go.

davel

I dont like those in the slightest. It doesn't take much to mess with the metering on them. Before you spray again break it down, clean it throughly, and make sure there's no trash in there.
John, how do I do that exactly? Don't know much about sprayers. Do I take the concentration dial off? Is that where the chemical goes through? I heard a guy took one apart and most of the setting holes were gummed up. Spray nozzles were all flowing good. Thanks.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I dont like those in the slightest. It doesn't take much to mess with the metering on them. Before you spray again break it down, clean it throughly, and make sure there's no trash in there.
Agreed. Don't trust them much. I like to tank mix it myself, with agitation, if possible. It's consitent then.

treemanjohn

Banned
John, how do I do that exactly? Don't know much about sprayers. Do I take the concentration dial off? Is that where the chemical goes through? I heard a guy took one apart and most of the setting holes were gummed up. Spray nozzles were all flowing good. Thanks.
It would have to be in the manual. Herbicides dry and get crystalline. I'll bet there's a metering wheel or an orifice that meters the herbicide. I would also make a habit of flushing that chemical tank several times after each use.

Like the Hillbilly said if I mix it in a tank I know what's in there

doomtrpr_z71

Sethoxydim is not a good product to control Bahia, it'll take at least 2 applications, I would bump the rate to at least 3oz on the glyphosate, 4 would be better. I would spray again, the Chapin system is a small diaphragm under the dial and they will get clogged since it has holes to meter the flow.

davel

Sethoxydim is not a good product to control Bahia, it'll take at least 2 applications, I would bump the rate to at least 3oz on the glyphosate, 4 would be better. I would spray again, the Chapin system is a small diaphragm under the dial and they will get clogged since it has holes to meter the flow.
Thanks!

Long Cut

Sounds like poor application rate and/or coverage.

Make sure spray tips are clean and clear. I’d re-calibrate the sprayer to see if GPA output is the same. Could be having a pump issue.

Just a couple ideas. Hope this helps, keep us updated.

davel

Sounds like poor application rate and/or coverage.

Make sure spray tips are clean and clear. I’d re-calibrate the sprayer to see if GPA output is the same. Could be having a pump issue.

Just a couple ideas. Hope this helps, keep us updated.
Pump is working well. I think its a couple of things. I got better results on the bahia with the sethoxydim than I originally thought. After 7 days it is turning yellow. The field grass is already yellow/brown.
In the new plot there is more yellowing and browning today than yesterday. Going to check on it again and respray next weekend if I need to. I think the grass and weeds were too high in some spots. My spray rig is pretty low to keep drift down. Also, I had it on setting 2 and probably needed #3.

Attachments

• 20220814_180102.jpg
    20220814_180102.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 28