Herniated Disk

earlthegoat2

My rehab and personal training background has indicated many back problems are related to weak hamstrings, glutes, and of course, erector spinae muscles.

In general, underdeveloped posterior chain. Idleness, prolonged sitting such as for someone’s job, and years of bad posture (which is also a symptom of a weak posterior chain and serves to exacerbate the problems associated with it) are the usual culprits.

I’m not sure what you are capable of doing physically right now but a slow approach is best. Walking and light core exercises are usually where to start and then more sophisticated movements are usually added but with the goal being to strengthen the back to help support the spine.

A physical therapist may be what you need to avoid more future problems and potentially avoid surgery. Most back problems, including herniated disks, can be solved non-surgically.

Some things I have heard that helped have been yoga, Pilates, working out the legs, and full body iso-kinetic workouts. The latter is potentially something a higher end physical therapy firm might have. There are some YMCAs across the country that have iso-kinetic machines called EGYM. I have heard they are very popular with rehab of orthopedic injuries and surgeries.

Stroker

L4, L5, and S1 fused August 4 2023. Put it off for years. Ice, ibuprofen, injections and a good chiropractor kept me going for over 12 years. One year follow up doc says 100% good to go. Sitting for long periods still brings some pain but ice or walking on grass or in the woods helps relieve the pain. Glad I had my surgery for sure.

bighonkinjeep

Dont let anyone but a good neurosurgeon touch your back if you have a herniated disk period.
They specialize in the central nervous system and are your very best option for relief.
Do what he tells you.
Herniated disk surgery has come a long long way.
They may or may not operate depending on MRI results.
If you can get him Dr. Max Steuer (pronounced Stoyer) is the man.

oldfella1962

I had a herniated disk in C6. It felt like someone was pinching my "funny bond nerve". Nothing funny about it! After a year of suffering the doctor gave me a Steroid injections in the disk. It shrunk the disk and ended my pain! That was in 2000. I am better now. But it took a while to fully heal. Glad I did not do surgery!
Glad it's better for you now. That said, your typo in the second sentence made me :LOL:. Read the second sentence.

"Bond......Funny Bond!"

Bond funny.jpg

blakely

My wife had a herniated disc and spinal stenosis. She went through 2 rounds of injections before she decided she was too young to hurt for the rest of her life. She had the bottom vertabrae fused to her sacrum in 2016 and has had no more back pain. She had Dr Dorchak at Hughston Clinic do her surgery.

GeorgiaBob

Everybody's different, what works for one might inflame the problem for the next. In my case, I have issues with both lumbar and cervical disks, plus arthritis. Two simple stretches help me.

I have found that just standing with my back against a wall, feet 6 inches away from the wall, hips and shoulders gently touching the wall and the base of my skull against the wall, helps. The alignment straightens my spine, especially the top, and allows all of the surrounding muscles to adapt to being in tension and in proper alignment. Tucking my chin into my neck helps position my head. Spending as little as 30 seconds like that helps. After 5 minutes I can walk away feeling like I just got a massage.

The other "physical therapy" I have learned to count on is just standing with my feet shoulder width apart and bending at my waist like I am doing a "touch your toes." Instead of rising from the bend, I simply hang there. I let everything relax as much as possible letting my weight gently stretch my back out. Anything from a minute to five minutes like that eases the tension.

Those two, very low impact stretches have helped me reduce the pain and remain mobile for several years.

Sargent

My wife had a bulging disk... started early April of this year.

By mid-May, she was in excruciating pain and finally scheduled surgery. She had surgery May 31 as an outpatient.

By the end of July, she was about 90%. She's about 99% now.

westcobbdog

L5S1 herniation for me, about 25 years ago. Lifting super heavy objects or excessive shoveling flares it up. When it does I am out of action a few days minimum.

krizia829

My rehab and personal training background has indicated many back problems are related to weak hamstrings, glutes, and of course, erector spinae muscles.

In general, underdeveloped posterior chain. Idleness, prolonged sitting such as for someone’s job, and years of bad posture (which is also a symptom of a weak posterior chain and serves to exacerbate the problems associated with it) are the usual culprits.

I’m not sure what you are capable of doing physically right now but a slow approach is best. Walking and light core exercises are usually where to start and then more sophisticated movements are usually added but with the goal being to strengthen the back to help support the spine.

A physical therapist may be what you need to avoid more future problems and potentially avoid surgery. Most back problems, including herniated disks, can be solved non-surgically.

Some things I have heard that helped have been yoga, Pilates, working out the legs, and full body iso-kinetic workouts. The latter is potentially something a higher end physical therapy firm might have. There are some YMCAs across the country that have iso-kinetic machines called EGYM. I have heard they are very popular with rehab of orthopedic injuries and surgeries.
That sounds like what would be my issue. I went from working 8 hours a day on my feet to sitting for 8 hours a day for the last 6 years. I definitely do not sit straight like I should. I usually have neck and shoulder discomfort too. facepalm:

poohbear

My wife just went the the most terrible year with this problem and she laid a year on the sofa, is was only place she could find relief, went through 2 surgeries in Athens that helped none! And dr. Didn’t know anything else to do but pain managment. She said she didn’t want to live rest of her life on pain meds which didn’t help anyways. She was recommended to a neurosurgeon in gainsville Ga. Her name is Dr. Betsy Grunch she has a lot of videos on YouTube under Ladyspinedoc you need to watch these and if you want help go see her. She is a god send to us and she knows what she is doing. She had to fuse my wife’s back with 2 more surgeries going through stomach first day and through back on second day this was done on June 30 2023 but she is totally pain free today . Still working on stamina she lost laying around for a year buts it’s coming back. Dr Grunch told me first dr. Had removed too much when he worked on her. Which I thought was strange coming from another doc they usually don’t talk about one another. But anyway she is top notch neurosurgeon so ask lots of questions and don’t let just anyone work on you they are not all the same . Good luck and I hope you find some relief this is a awful pain. .

dslc6487

I would highly recommend the Hughston Clinic in Columbus, Ga. to anyone having any type of orthopedic surgery, including back surgery.
Agree with post #26..Had neck surgery with Dr. Dorchak in 1998..Had ruptured disc..He operated on me, took a piece of bone out of my hip and made the repair. Not any problem since.

I have had the following surgeries and treatment at the Hughston Clinic:
Neck surgery, rotator cuff surgery, both knees replaced, both shoulders replaced, and treatment for broken arm.

I know there are lots of good neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons out there, and everyone has their own opinion. Hughston Clinic is just my choice. I am 77 and not in a bit of pain anywhere are can do mostly what I have always done, just not as quick. Maybe a little "mentally off", but all of my replacement parts and God given parts are working just fine......
Best of luck to your wife and hope she will be pain free soon...

bullgator

Google Dr. Goodman Foundation Training. He has a 12 minute stretching video. I tried the very first stretch on the video and felt relief. I still use it whenever my back tightens up. His video was recommended by a therapist at a chiropractors office.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Wife had TLIF surgery 8 weeks ago. She’s doing much better but still has a long way to go. Had to use a Walker for several months prior to surgery. Now she can walk without one

leroy

My dad has 2 herniated disks. He's had acupuncture, has done cortisone shots about 6 times and has had 3 surgeries. The last one being the biggest one. Still isn't right.. :confused: I don't wish this pain upon anyone..
My dad was same suffered for years had 2 surgeries told him if he had another it would be screws and pins and he didnt do it. He went to chiropractor for 30 yrs had the shots which gave some relief. Now on other hand my mom had surgery and as soon as she woke up she said im better and has been since

Latest posts