High end steak

sinclair1

Why can't you grill it?
It will melt away because of the fat content. It was a different flavor than Wagyu you get here. I am not much of a steak guy, but my wife is a knock the horns off steak aficionado lol.

We bought it because A5 is supposedly the best in the world and wanted to try it. I would rather have a good slaw dog myself. It was expensive back when we did the thread on it, but todays prices you barely swing a can of Vienna’s

ryork

Steaks, at least when I could still have one, and BBQ, I guess back when I could that too, were two things I would rarely order at a restaurant. I enjoyed mine and the way I prepared them better generally speaking. Have had steak at quite a few of the high end Atlanta places, and other than Hal's have never been all that impressed. I like Hal's all the way around. For the life of me I don't understand what is supposed to be so great about Ruth Chris. Some of the higher end chains such as Longhorn, Outback, Logans etc put way too much spice rub on a steak for my liking. Quality product and cooking technique go much further in my opinion. There are two places that are the exception, where I would go just to order steak because they do it better than I do. First off is Cork & Cow in Franklin TN. I don't know what these folks do to a cut of meat, but they do it exceedingly well. The only seasonings are salt and butter if you want to call that seasoning. Cooked over oak coals, and I've tried to match it but can't quite get it. If I ever get past this Alpha-gal, that's where I'm going and I'm getting the tomahawk rare and a bottle of Stag Cab and I'm going to sit there and savor it for a couple of hours. Keeping my fingers crossed....... Second is "The Garlic" in New Smyrna Beach FL. They cook steak in a 700 degree pizza oven on a rock lathered in roasted garlic. I was skeptical, but went back for it two nights in a row after the first night when we were down that way for something. Was outstandingly good.

Dr. Strangelove

Just curious, how much was the most expensive steak you've ever had and was it worth it? Was it the best steak you've ever had?
Venison.
By time you add up rifles, accessories, leases, road trips, motel stays, etc. venison is by far per pound the most expensive steak I've ever eaten.

Worth it though.

(I have had better beef steaks, just my preference)
Best steak I've ever eaten was at the Hendersonville Country Club, it was probably $40.

Tight Lines

I'm with @NCHillbilly on this one. I've had steaks all over the world which I've been lucky to travel on someone else's dime. Three of my favorite memories were a Walmart steak at deer camp, on a cold day that I grilled on a gas grill but turned out perfect, once over charcoal up in GSMNP, and once over charcoal out in CO along the banks of the Tarryall...decent cuts, cooked right...maybe it was where I was?

I've bought tomahawks at CostCo before, and had steaks at most joints in the ATL...Bone's, Chops, Hal's, etc. as well as Chicago, NY, Cleveland, Vegas, Denver, Paris, Buenos Aires, Tokyo, etc. etc.

The Argentinians make some mean steaks. Japanese Wagyu is amazing, but way different...

Probably the best meat week I ever had was a float in Argentina where we cooked some kind of meat every night over hardwoods...asado I think they call it...we had everything on that trip...

Most I've paid for a restaurant steak? Probably $175 porterhouse on expense account that we split...

Most I've spent personally? Maybe a $65 tomahawk...

At some point, kind of like wine, the incremental difference is lost on me.

We buy basically Publix and CostCo unless I get a deal at New York Butchershop...

hawkeye123

Best I've cooked was Tomahawk w/ Pays Marinade seared over post oak...best I've ate was Elk tenderloin in w/ some kinda wine soy sauce in Banner Elk NC, have not had Wagu steak but have had Wagu burger, it was ok but not great

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Steaks, at least when I could still have one, and BBQ, I guess back when I could that too, were two things I would rarely order at a restaurant. I enjoyed mine and the way I prepared them better generally speaking. Have had steak at quite a few of the high end Atlanta places, and other than Hal's have never been all that impressed. I like Hal's all the way around. For the life of me I don't understand what is supposed to be so great about Ruth Chris. Some of the higher end chains such as Longhorn, Outback, Logans etc put way too much spice rub on a steak for my liking. Quality product and cooking technique go much further in my opinion. There are two places that are the exception, where I would go just to order steak because they do it better than I do. First off is Cork & Cow in Franklin TN. I don't know what these folks do to a cut of meat, but they do it exceedingly well. The only seasonings are salt and butter if you want to call that seasoning. Cooked over oak coals, and I've tried to match it but can't quite get it. If I ever get past this Alpha-gal, that's where I'm going and I'm getting the tomahawk rare and a bottle of Stag Cab and I'm going to sit there and savor it for a couple of hours. Keeping my fingers crossed....... Second is "The Garlic" in New Smyrna Beach FL. They cook steak in a 700 degree pizza oven on a rock lathered in roasted garlic. I was skeptical, but went back for it two nights in a row after the first night when we were down that way for something. Was outstandingly good.
Same, I maybe have two steaks a year and prefer them to be done by me. I did eat at the Rochester location last year that Gator mentioned in another post and got the last prime rib of the night. It was ok but I have had way better.

I'm with @NCHillbilly on this one. I've had steaks all over the world which I've been lucky to travel on someone else's dime. Three of my favorite memories were a Walmart steak at deer camp, on a cold day that I grilled on a gas grill but turned out perfect, once over charcoal up in GSMNP, and once over charcoal out in CO along the banks of the Tarryall...decent cuts, cooked right...maybe it was where I was?

I've bought tomahawks at CostCo before, and had steaks at most joints in the ATL...Bone's, Chops, Hal's, etc. as well as Chicago, NY, Cleveland, Vegas, Denver, Paris, Buenos Aires, Tokyo, etc. etc.

The Argentinians make some mean steaks. Japanese Wagyu is amazing, but way different...

Probably the best meat week I ever had was a float in Argentina where we cooked some kind of meat every night over hardwoods...asado I think they call it...we had everything on that trip...

Most I've paid for a restaurant steak? Probably $175 porterhouse on expense account that we split...

Most I've spent personally? Maybe a $65 tomahawk...

At some point, kind of like wine, the incremental difference is lost on me.

We buy basically Publix and CostCo unless I get a deal at New York Butchershop...
I use to travel a lot (100 flights a year) until about 10-12 years ago and am in SW. SW has an insanely high profit margin and with a good economy meant a lot of 'high end' steaks all over the country.

I still prefer my Publix bought steaks on my grill any day. Well, a time or two a year. Same with burgers, maybe a couple per year but better on my Blackstone. Almost any burger that I cook these days is on the Blackstone or iron skillet and not a regular grill.

Shadow11

I've never had any of the fancy ones. About the highest priced one for me was long horns at a mother's day get together. I paid 30 bucks for whatever it was, ordered it medium, and it was so burnt on the outside even I couldn't get half of it down. If there weren't a bunch of us in a hurry, i would've sent it back.

I just don't know how you can beat a good ribeye on charcoal. I picked up a couple this past Saturday at quality foods in Cornelia GA. Just 16.00 for a 2 pack. Bone in. I did the paymasters rub for about 10 hrs or so. I might have gotten a little heavy on the soy sauce, but they were 100 times better than that long horn junk. No knife or fork needed. Just a plate and roll of paper towels. It tears right apart. Super juicy. Even the fat was incredible. I used to never eat the fat om a steak growing up, but little piece of this fat melts in your mouth, and the flavor is so good. Woooweeedoggy!Screenshot_2024-04-21-10-15-08.png

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
At the risk of sounding cliched, I've eaten steaks at some pretty expensive steakhouses. Still, the best ones I remember were grilled at home or over hardwood coals at a campsite in the woods. A regular old ribeye from Ingles is good enough for me. I can't really tell a lot of difference in the dry aged prime stuff, to be honest. I've never eaten or cooked wagyu.
Most restaurants put too many overpowering seasonings, marinades, and such on a steak. I like the taste of the steak itself.
I'll agree with that. Steak and ribs are two things I don't order in a restaurant. I order stuff I don't eat at home. Isn't that what going out to eat is all about?

kayaksteve

At the risk of sounding cliched, I've eaten steaks at some pretty expensive steakhouses. Still, the best ones I remember were grilled at home or over hardwood coals at a campsite in the woods. A regular old ribeye from Ingles is good enough for me. I can't really tell a lot of difference in the dry aged prime stuff, to be honest. I've never eaten or cooked wagyu.
Most restaurants put too many overpowering seasonings, marinades, and such on a steak. I like the taste of the steak itself.
Salt and pepper

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Salt and pepper
Yep. I'll marinate something like a sirloin sometimes, but a ribeye or porterhouse gets salt, pepper, and oilive oil, and plopped over some screaming coals for about three minutes per side.

JohnnyD

I can cook steak. Pretty good at it if I do say so myself. And I don't go out and order steak a lot. That being said, I will go back to Le Moo in Louisville, KY and order the ribeye Steak Oscar again. And I will also order the persimmon pudding for dessert. And the smoked Old Fashioned. And the bone marrow appetizer.

I'm careful with my money, but I also know I can't take it with me and sometimes paying for the experience is worth it. Especially with friends. Yeah. It was good.

TJay

Like most of ya'll I can cook a steak about as good as I can get at any steakhouse, IMHO. My next high end steak will be a capsteak. It's my favorite part of the ribeye, I've never had one and I've heard a lot about them so it's time to give it a go. I seen them occaisionally at Wilkes in Ball Ground next time I go in Ima ask about 'em.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Best restaurant steak in ATL was at Capital Grill in Buckhead. It was a $70 or so ribeye. When I was in OKC last year, we went to dinner at Stock & Bond, in the basement of the old First National Bank building. Ordered a filet that was darned good. I think it was $80.

That said, I can cook a better steak at home, marinated in some Pay's wet marinade for a few hours, and cooked on the Akorn. I just about don't get a steak when eating out, unless someone else is buying, and nothing else on the menu looks good.