High-Fence Hunting ad in October GON

D

dave

Here's one GON Letter to the Editor that I bet you won't read in next months issue ........ from me .....

Dear GON,

I am amazed that you would have a Georgia based high-fence operation ad in your magazine. The ad I'm referring to can be found on page 179 of the October GON issue. The ad mentions "Russian Wild Boar Hunts" and also mentions "We're also taking deer and turkey hunt deposits for 2005."

I have read numerous articles in your magazine about the evils of high-fence operations, including the obvious disease risks (CWD, etc). Other issues relate to the privatization of wildlife.

I have to say that I cannot support your company if you are willing to sell-out to those that put the future of hunting at risk in Georgia. How could the founders of GONetwork be involved in this type of commerce???

I would appreciate a reply stating where you stand on this issue.

Respectfully,

James David Norris
Lawrenceville, GA

Duramax

Dave, you have my support in your thoughts!

Randy

They offer boar hunts too? HMMMMMMMMMM!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Dave, While I think you and most here know I am with you 100%, I wonder what GON can say yes and no to when it comes to advertisers.

????

Jim

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Respectfully disagree

Opinions are like bu**holes we all have them and they all stink. I am not for or against "canned" hunts, but if the person who owns these opertions pays their taxes and obeys all laws why should they not be allowed to advertise???? Don't try to read me all the diease mumbo jumbo I have read it and understand it and thats not the question. The fact remains these people whoever they are..... are trying to make a living in this rat race we call life and are doing it within the limits of the laws. O yeah we do not need any more goverment telling us what we can or can't do on our own land. Also I am in no way or shape invloved in anyway with a canned operation just my opinion and don't forget the right to free press...........
Unicoidawg
GO DAWGS :flag:

D

dave

Ud,

Unicoidawg said:
Opinions are like bu**holes we all have them and they all stink. I am not for or against "canned" hunts, but if the person who owns these opertions pays their taxes and obeys all laws why should they not be allowed to advertise???? Don't try to read me all the diease mumbo jumbo I have read it and understand it and thats not the question. The fact remains these people whoever they are..... are trying to make a living in this rat race we call life and are doing it within the limits of the laws. O yeah we do not need any more goverment telling us what we can or can't do on our own land. Also I am in no way or shape invloved in anyway with a canned operation just my opinion and don't forget the right to free press...........
Unicoidawg
GO DAWGS :flag:

Point well taken. Also remember I have a right to not spend my hard earned money on a magazine that supports those that put my sport at risk. ;)

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Preach On Brother...lol

Like I said we all have opinions and I fully respect yours, my main point is we don't need any more laws.......... :flag: Unicoidawg
GO DAWGS

Glenn

Dave I stand behind what you said also. When I get home I will looked at the AD and may send a letter as well.

If they are taking deposits for 2005 deer and turkey hunts then more than likely they are either:

1. Taking a look at the local deer and turkey population that are located within the fence...or

2. They are buying deer from ranches to import them into their operation and as for the turkeys they are more than likely from a turkey farm or some sort of co-op.

My uncle sold a half a dozen in south Georgia a few years ago to a "High Fenced" operation for their turkey hunts. The buyer told my uncle that the birds looked like Wild birds and no one would know the difference.

:shoot: high fences

Tom Borck

Banned
dave said:
Point well taken. Also remember I have a right to not spend my hard earned money on a magazine that supports those that put my sport at risk. ;)

It is obvious that other hunters will spend their money on GON and canned hunts or the business would not exists. Regardless of your opinion it is a legal business in the state of Georgia, so I support them to operate. And will continue buy GON magazine.

Junebug

A related topic observation

I've noticed more and more frequently that hunting shows MAKE IT A POINT to mention if they are hunting on a fair-chase/low-fence/no-fence operation. Their advertisements at the end of the show sometimes make note of it also. ;)

Mrbowdeadly

This horse has been WHOOPED, even though he is dead.

This unfortunately is a gray area. It is relative. As stated before, what if we fenced Georgia? Would you still hunt? What if I fenced my half acre yard? In between lies the "relative" opinion.

I have to agree on one point. Divided we fall. We need to support LEGAL hunting in any way shape form or fashion, regardless of personal opinions.

MBD

GeauxLSU

I think the POINT is GON (or at the very least the GON Network) purports to NOT support high fenced shooting yet they apparently are willing to take advertising dollars? ::huh:
Nobody is talking about making something illegal.
Would Mother's Against Drunk Driving take donations from Budweiser?
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Ga-Spur

I went to the site mentioned and they say it is a high fence operation . It is only 700 acres . Where did they get deer and turkeys to put in their fence.Did they use "our deer and turkeys "(people of Ga.)for their private business operation? Joe Anderson I believe is the contact person.

GrandSlamHunter

high fenced turkeys

My farm is high fenced on 3 sides, none of which I built. We have a good population of wild turkeys and the fence doesn't stop them when they want to get to the other side. They will pitch over it at will. The problem is calling one across. They will pace up and down the fence for hours as if they didn't know how to fly. ::huh: ::huh:

GSH

TurkeyCreek

GeauxLSU said:
I think the POINT is GON (or at the very least the GON Network) purports to NOT support high fenced shooting yet they apparently are willing to take advertising dollars? ::huh:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Exactly right Phil!!! You hit the nail on the head!!

Mrbowdeadly

Ok, I misunderstood. They are double talking. Gotcha.

MBD

Snakeman

Are you sure that the person who took the advertising money knew it was a high-fence operation? The ad itself doesn't mention anything about it.

We know it is because of the previous discussions here on the board.

The Snakeman

D

dave

GeauxLSU said:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
How is it less "ethical" to shoot a hog in a high fence operation than to trap a hog in a corral type trap or box trap and walk up and shoot it in the head? Same principle, in fact, if the high fence operation is big enough (meaning bigger than the trap) it could be seen as the more "ethical" of the two. At least you have to find the hog instead of setting the trap and coming back after a good nights sleep!

Something to ponder while you're frothing at the mouth! ;)

::huh:

T

Last edited:

Gaswamp

you might write them about some of the other advertisers they allow in their magazine as well. I know a couple of them that will hunt over bait.

I Think the owner of this operation 'foggy bottom' uses Woodys.

Also, tell them to give the rest of your suscription to a youth