Its 200 yards

OwlRNothing

I have had a game warden tell me inaccurate things on more than one occasion. I go by the actual law, and if you are really concerned, you are better off contacting a lawyer. The hunting within sight or within 200 yards “law” was the old deer hunting law before baiting was legalized. The current law does not say say that. It says if you kill a big game animal, other than a deer, (.i.e. turkey), within 200yards you are, if convicted, guiltly of a misdemeanor of high nature or something to that degree. That part of the law says nothing about “hunting” only taking or harvesting or however it is worded. The part that actually refers to hunting say you can’t place it as an attractant or entice birds to an area that people will be hunting. No distance is mentioned in this section, and no charge is mentioned either. If you bait a pond up with corn for ducks, and sit out in the field 200+ yards away and shoot birds flying to the pond, you can be charged with hunting over bait. Same with turkeys in a similar situation. It also says you can’t place bait, even on your own property, if it will cause someone else to violate the law on their property beside you. So if you put corn on the line beside my property, within 200 yards of my chufa field that I turkey hunt in, you are in violation of the law. The law is referenced in your first post that the guy quoted, he just is confusing the harvest part of the law that specifically prohibits the taking of a turkey within a certain distance with the hunting part of the law that doesn’t specify a distance. The agent who said it is at the warden’s discretion is correct according to the actual law. I paraphrased it, but here it is if you are interesting in reading the whole thing.

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2020/title-27/chapter-3/article-1/part-1/section-27-3-9/
This...because I watched a Game Warden making people "de-barb" their hooks at Smith's Creek DH. He and I had a chat, and he took me back to the posted regs on the board near the parking lot to prove it to me. I was more than happy to follow him over there. I then had to go back though and tell all those people they could use barbed hooks. State has yet to send me my paycheck. ;)

Truthfully, the guy was very nice about the whole thing and I didn't rub it in or anything. We're all human and make mistakes.

across the river

This...because I watched a Game Warden making people "de-barb" their hooks at Smith's Creek DH. He and I had a chat, and he took me back to the posted regs on the board near the parking lot to prove it to me. I was more than happy to follow him over there. I then had to go back though and tell all those people they could use barbed hooks. State has yet to send me my paycheck. ;)

Truthfully, the guy was very nice about the whole thing and I didn't rub it in or anything. We're all human and make mistakes.

Years ago I went to the quota duck hunt at Butler Island and some kids from ABAC were there cutting off the wings for some project. I took the birds we had up there to the girl cutting them off and she cut one wing off of the first two birds I laid up there and I said, “ You don’t want both wings?” She said “I can only cut one off.” I asked why, and the warden standing off to the side said, “You can only cut one off, you have to be able to identify the bird.” I told him, “Well sir, federal law says leave one wing or the head, and they don’t seem to be decapitating any. Doesn’t that mean she is free to take both wings considering the head is still on it and I can still tell this is a drake bluebill by the head,” while I put my hand around the one wing still on it. He walked over to talk to another guy, and then came back and told the girl she could off both wings.” ??.

DOUG 281

That made me think of the time my uncle and a friend got checked by the GW while fishing they had a fish or two GW got his stick out and started measuring the fish he said these are under size Rick got a little tape measure out of his pocket and ask the GW if he could see the stick he measured the stick it was to short

lampern

200 yards it is. From the regs:

Baiting
Bait: corn, wheat, other grains, salts, apples, and other feed that has been placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered so as to constitute a lure, attraction, or enticement to game animals or game birds.
It is unlawful for any person to:
  • Hunt any game animal (except as noted below) or game bird upon, over, around, or within 200 yards of bait.
  • Hunt any area for a period of 10 days following complete removal of all bait.
  • Hunt any game or feral hog over bait, or place bait, on any State or Federal managed lands.
  • Place bait in a manner that will cause hunting on an adjacent property to be prohibited.
Taking of any big game, other than deer, over bait is subject to a fine of $5,000 and/or imprisonment up to 12 months.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Top seed wheat, g2g?

Latest posts