Holy clear cuts!

bonecollector123

Went up to see the damage from the clear cut and they left me about 14 trees on 136 acres and they are across the road cutting now. Timber must be bringing big money right now. They are replanting between Thanksgiving and March so it will be a few years before the hunting gets good again. I will have to bring shade with me every time I go up now. The upside is they knocked 1000.00 of the price so there's that I guess.

slow motion

Went up to see the damage from the clear cut and they left me about 14 trees on 136 acres and they are across the road cutting now. Timber must be bringing big money right now. They are replanting between Thanksgiving and March so it will be a few years before the hunting gets good again. I will have to bring shade with me every time I go up now. The upside is they knocked 1000.00 of the price so there's that I guess.
The deer will still be there. Lots of fresh growth to eat. After a few years it will get difficult to hunt because it's thick but the deer will still be there. You'll have to adapt a bit but the travel routes don't seem to change much. Don't let it get you down. Maintain a few trails. Game will use them too. Just another opportunity to learn. Good luck.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
After a clear cut you can see where the deer travels.
Some of the biggest deer we have killed were on a 1-3 y.o. 100 acre clear cut.Especially during the rut.

BeerThirty

I grew up hunting clear cuts on paper mill land in Wisconsin and we were always quite successful. One would think the deer would relocate but they actually hold quite well, especially for bedding (if the weather ain't too bad). Also, if you're into deer drives, you can push deer out of adjacent woods into the clear cuts.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Deer will still be there. You can see more, have less hunters.

coolbreezeroho

Should be good hunting ....Keep you a few shooting lanes cut down when it grows up...I keep one lane cut down thats 300 yards and three other places to hunt that I keep two or 3 lanes cut between 75 and 130 yards...

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Few years? More like a few months. I bet it will be crawling with deer by opener.

This. ^ Get to the range and start working on your long range shots out past 150 yards. You're gonna need to be good at it.